• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tips on recovery after wisdom teeth removal

D

danielsg

First of all, this site is so cool as I can find every information I need on dental issues!

This coming Thursday I'll be going for 3 wisdom teeth extraction. I don't know how I actually got the courage for that, but then I've booked the appointment. Fear (1) checked!

While I'm located in Singapore, wisdom teeth extractions only come in two options, LA or GA, no IV no laughing gas. Since I've got 3, my dentist recommended GA, to get it done once and for all. This is the first time in my life I need to report to hospital and get "knocked" out by chemicals.

After reading so many success stories here, the surgery doesn't seem to be scary anymore. It seems like I just need to relax and let them do whatever they want. ( Fear (2) checked! ) But I'm pretty worried about the recovery, as I'm someone who can't tolerate pain well after the surgery.

Perhaps anyone can share with me some tips for the recovery? Or maybe some of the stories or experience from day 1 to day 7, things that you do and such. I knew some of the rules, such as no spitting, no using straw and pop the meds. But I need advise, especially on pain management, or maybe "sleep" through the first day without any pain issue (since many said that after the first day, the rest of the days are going to breeze through). I'm afraid that the pain will cause frustration and traumatize my experience in dentistry (I love going to dentist to get my teeth clean up every 6 months) Need Help!!!

Last edited:
i had all my wisdom teeth out (two at one time, two at another). the only real advice i can give you (other than the things you mentioned-no straws, no sucking, no spitting, etc) is stay ON TOP of your pain meds. this is assuming you even need them-i know some people don't need much to help them afterwards. me? i needed lots and if i waited until the pain started to come back, it was that much harder to get it under control.

i worried myself sick over getting them out and i can honestly say it was a breeze. i had a dry socket with a molar extraction and THAT was awful, but the wisdom teeth (two of mine were impacted) was really not that bad. any questions, feel free to pm me!

:) ally

Hi danielsg,

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time (all impacted) and I may have some advice to offer. Formygirls couldn't be more right! Keep up on the pain medication. You'll be glad you did! If you let it lapse it is very difficult to get it under control once you begin to feel pain again...so even if you're not feeling pain, take another tablet when you're due...don't wait until you start to feel pain. All I needed through my recovery was 800mg of Ibuprofen. I was also given Oxycodone which is a much stronger narcotic. I don't know if you have had experience with this type of medication but some people do not react to it well and it can cause serious nausea! I took one tablet directly after the procedure and didn't touch the stuff again because I was so sick from it. Taking the Oxycodone was my biggest regret of the whole process and it was my first and last dose I will ever take. Ibuprofen really was sufficient and does not cause nausea so I don't mean to scare you, but it's just a warning that it could happen if you are prescribed strong pain meds (it took me by surprise so I try to let people know in advance). I don't know if they mentioned to stay away from anything carbonated like sodas as they can cause complications as well. As long as you stick to the rules and keep up with your medication, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy the recovery process is. I had never had any previous experience with any type of surgery and got along fine! I hope I could be of some help and that everything goes well with your procedure! Best of Luck!!!

Kitkat

Great thanks for the advise, so looks like I need to prevent the pain before it starts, and try to hold it after the first few days when the pain is most active.

However are there any tips on taking care of the surgical site? Since I'm not suppose to gargle on mouthwash but to let it flow around and out the mouth. How about brushing teeth? I cant imagine how am I suppose to brush my teeth without touching the surgical site (after 24 hours). I had 2 friends who had infections, despite using the mouthwash.

Meanwhile to update my condition, I'm having 3 full-under-gum impacted wisdom teeth, so I'll be having stitches in my mouth. I know i'm asking a lot, but I hope to have the whole recovery process smooth and comfortable.

try this

best wishes for an uneventful recovery

rp

I also had 4 fully impacted wisdom teeth removed from below the gum and had the stitches that dissolve as well. Although all of them did not dissolve by my follow-up appointment, so they decided to just remove them while I was there (surprisingly easy and painless!). I don't remember being advised to use mouthwash....I think I was instructed to rinse with salt water only but it was awhile ago (about 7 years ago). I can't exactly remember when I got the go-ahead on brushing my teeth either...I do remember only brushing the front teeth in the beginning though. Eventually they will probably give you a small syringe to flush food and debris out of the surgical sites which will be a huge help. To my memory, this was also done with salt water. The stitches should be gone by the time you start directly flushing the site though. Also with the stitches, be VERY careful about chewing anything that could catch on them such as breads. I had a piece of angel food cake catch on a lower stitch and it partially ripped it through the tissue and it did not feel good!

Kitkat

Kitkat - Ouch! I can imagine the pain. I just hope that the gum recovery is smooth, my greatest worry for the whole experience. I will keep all these tips in mind. Thank you. Thanks for the link too RP.

Alright guys, i did it! 3 wizzies out. Didnt experience much pain, except when changing gauze. My saliva is kinda sticky, so it makes the gauze sticky too. When i remove it, the pain is like something stabbing on it, so much pain that i teared. Though there's slight bleeding, but i dare not use gauze anymore. Nevertheless, it's done. Now hoping that recovery is smooth..

Cant take the pain, and it's sleeping bleed. So i place the gauze back. Now it's getting late, and I duno when can i remove the gauze without pain. In fact I suspect the rough gauze causes the wound to bleed!

have you taken pain meds??? ice pack to the cheeks to help swelling and pain?? what did your oral surgeon tell you about the procedure, were they difficult extractions, which explain this pain as the jaw is sore?

My pain med is Acroxia, some painkiller that combine with anti-inflammation agent, and makes me sleep in 10 mins after I pop it. My dentist recommended it as she said it's better to make me sleep and let it heal naturally than just pure painkilling effect, so that I need not wake up in the middle of the night to take painkillers. Besides, painkillers is bad for stomach, especially after ops when I wont eat much. So she advised only 1 pill per day, which is before bedtime. She also prescribe me Vit-C for nerves (faster nerves recovery, thus lesser pain), antibiotics & some other unknown medicines. She gave me a bottle of mouthwash too.
My dentist was a senior oral and maxillofacial consultant, thus I had my operation in hospital. Yesterday was suffering in pain. But surprisely today there's no pain, unless I move my cheek muscles or try to smile. And there's not much swelling, except tight jaws.
I hope this goes on for the next few days till my review appointment. :)

One pill per day, only to sleep does not sound right, that's why you suffered all day yesterday. Please try and not let the pain get away from you today, it gets much harder to control. You said she prescribed some unknown medication? Call them back and find out what it is, tell them you are concerned about being in pain again during the day.

You could try taking ibubrofen but without knowing what the other medicine is first, I wouldn't.

heal fast, make sure you get plenty of protein.

rp

I think my surgeon didnt gave me Ibuprofen or stronger painkillers for a reason. The nurse told me that if I felt any pain, just take a normal paracetamol will do. My surgeon prescribed me all sorts of anti-inflammation and antibiotics though. Maybe those medicines may conflict with painkillers.
Today I did not feel any pain, except when I try to move my cheek muscles which presses against the wound (example, smiling). The pain is not lasting, it is like someone poke you with a sharp object. When I look at my wounds, the stitches kinda "sank" in a little, but the incised gums still tightly stitched. Hopefully there's blood clot under it instead of empty space. Not much swelling either. Next thursday I will be going for follow-up appointment. I just wish that everything's fine and the surgeon will tell me "Alright Daniel, everything's fine now. Good job"
And yes RP, I have stocked up all sorts of protein food such as soyamilk, bean-curd (some 'tofu' texture dessert made of 100% beans), yoghurt, mashed potato, soups and minced meat (able to swallow).

Last edited:
Back