• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Black line in teeth.

S

Spitfire10

Hi,
I have noticed today that two black lines have appeared on the bottom row of my teeth, second tooth in from the back. It has only just appeared over night and the line starts in the middle of my tooth and the black lines are on the same tooth on both sides of my mouth. One is quite easy to see but the other is barely noticeable. I noticed them when I was brushing me teeth and was worried if it was my teeth rotting... :confused:. I have had a good set of teeth all my life but until these black lines appeared I fear my teeth will 'erode' now :confused: Is there any way my dentist can get rid of them/clean them?

Thanks in advance,
Spitfire.

It could be tarter or stains. I thought black stuff on my teeth were cavities, but they turned out to be tarter.

Thanks for the response. I hope its nothing but i fear for the worst, It doesn't look like a stain, its a thin black line in the groove of my 2 teeth, I poked at it with a cocktail stick and it doesn't feel like its on the inside but resting on the outside but is quite solid otherwise I probably would of scraped it off! :ROFLMAO: But what I find strange is it has just appeared just like that and I hardly ever eat sweets and I tend to avoid fizzy/soft drinks but i do drink alot of tea, 2 or 3 cups a day, maybe just the one. I seriously hope its not rot because I dont want my teeth to get ruined! :o But I can confirm that there is no sign of tooth decay on the top of the 2 teeth, only a tiny black line in the groove of the 2 teeth :confused:

Last edited:
Sounds like a craze line. Craze lines are very common in adults and require no treatment :).

Hi and thanks for the response. Its not a craze line, The black line basically looks like decay but its in the middle of my tooth and there is no sign of any other decay on that tooth forming which is sort of weird? I think its possibly decay but its weird how it has just appeared and there isn't any pain what so ever like breathing in cold air and drinking something cold, there is no pain, I have another tooth that has decay which has been there since i was around 8 years of age and did have a filling there once but the decay you can see on top of the tooth is like a normal decaying tooth but this Black line is weird, it isn't purplish black like some are so it looks like its on the outside of the tooth resting in the groove...... It could be that it is decay and will form into something alot worse later on so i shall go and see the dentist when i can afford it.

Last edited:
Back