• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

YES children not afraid of the dentist

M

mermaidzen

I have tried really hard not to pass on my fear of the dentist to my children, 11,9 & 5 years old. After years of not visiting the dentist I have at last found one I am happy with and the kids have had 2 check ups so far and have healthy teeth, although the 11yr old has a watch on 1 tooth.

Anyway today my little girl, 5yrs old, has a sore spot on the inside of her lower gum whenever she touches it and is nagging to go see the dentist to get it checked. I guess I did a good job

Good to hear :jump:.

I have a special-needs child (developmental delay) and I take him to a dentist specializing in kids with autism and the like. He's almost 10 and so far no cavities.

They're really friendly there. My son doesn't mind going...but he doesn't particularly care for having his teeth poked with that hook-like thing (can't say I blame him). Still, he does a good job cooperating. He gets a new toothbrush and a sticker or two at the end.

We're in northeast Ohio so I take him to Keystone Pediatric Dentistry in Medina, Ohio.

That's awsome

Kudos to you. I agree that it helps a lot that you exposed them the dentist at such an early age.

That is exactly how it should be! I work very hard to make sure that the children I see understand that no matter what problem they present to me they know I'm there for them and that they will be okay.
I'm sure Dr. Daniel will agree that a traumatized child is the main source of apprehensive adults.

I have a special-needs child (developmental delay) and I take him to a dentist specializing in kids with autism and the like. He's almost 10 and so far no cavities.

They're really friendly there. My son doesn't mind going...but he doesn't particularly care for having his teeth poked with that hook-like thing (can't say I blame him). Still, he does a good job cooperating. He gets a new toothbrush and a sticker or two at the end.

We're in northeast Ohio so I take him to Keystone Pediatric Dentistry in Medina, Ohio.

Shame about this bit:
'We invite you to stay with your child during the initial examination. During future appointments, we suggest you allow your child to accompany our staff through the dental experience. We can usually establish a closer rapport with your child when you are not present. Our purpose is to gain your child's confidence and overcome apprehension. However, if you choose, you are more than welcome to accompany your child to the treatment room. For the safety and privacy of all patients, other children who are not being treated should remain in the reception room with a supervising adult.'....

.which means 2 adults needed if more than one child involved. It is also clear that they don't really want parents present.

I work with pre-schoolers and one of the little girls was really sulky because I got braces and so did her big brothers but she can't (she still has all her baby teeth!) She was cross she only gets to go to the tooth man every 6 months!

Back