Thread: Plaque/ Oil pulling/ loose tooth

Default Plaque/ Oil pulling/ loose tooth

I tried oil pulling over a few weeks a couple of months ago and think it's one of the reasons why my front tooth is super loose now. I did it with coconut oil first, a teaspoonful every morning, warmed to a liquid and then swilled in my mouth for ten minutes. It's actually really pleasant and leaves a lovely fresh taste in your mouth. I then moved on to sunflower oil, which isn't quite as pleasant, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The oil changes from transparent to white after a while, it's supposed to heal, well, basically every disease known to man and it's really good for gums and teeth from what I've heard.

Anyway, I do feel like some of my teeth are firmer because of it, but my front tooth feels really strange. I'm wondering if it's possible that plaque has broken off and is stuck inside the gum? It's sore to touch the gum, it's even sore to touch my face by the area, my sinuses are hurting a lot and the gum above the tooth feels like it's caved in a bit. Could oil pulling cause that, or is it just a coincedence?

Is oil pulling recommended by any dentists here, and if so, for what reason?
      Last edited by B; 7th April 2011 at 21:16. Reason: added something

Default Re: Plaque/ Oil pulling/ loose tooth

i am really interested in this post. just bought some sesame oil to try gargling wiith it as my gums are always sore and achey.

Hope you get the answers and your pain subsides soon

sarah

Are you sure there isn't an abscess brewing under that front tooth - best to get it checked it out.....and let the hokey oil stuff be.

rp

Agree with rp - the oil stuff seems to be an "internet remedy" rather than something that's ever been scientifically validated

There's zero evidence that various vegetable oils actually do anything for your gums.
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

I know I need to get it checked out. I'm not suggesting that oil pulling should replace dentistry (if only) but I think it's a real shame to be so dismissive about it.

It's low cost, natural and there are many, many testimonials from people who say they have experienced some benefit from it. I don't believe they can all be wrong. I have used mouthwashes that have been validated scientifically and that have definitely had a bad effect on my gums and teeth. It can't do any harm surely, to swish some coconut/sunflower/sesame oil around your mouth. It's a cheap and natural alternative to the nasty things that some mouthwashes contain.

I was just asking for a dentists opinion on the matter.

*edit*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling

There have actually been some scientific assessments on oil pulling and it's effect on bacteria in the mouth and the results have found that it does have dental benefits, especially with regard to gingivitis.
      Last edited by B; 8th April 2011 at 18:46.

I'm sure it can't do any harm (though there are only a couple of non-peer-reviewed studies from India and Africa on this topic, so until someone actually produces real evidence that this works, I'll remain unconvinced . I may yet be proven wrong of course - wouldn't be the first time!!)
      Last edited by letsconnect; 8th April 2011 at 21:06.
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices