• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental flipper concerns

B

brokengirl

Alright. Hi there, new to the forum, was looking for a place to ask this question and here I am. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I am 24 years old and I have a upper flipper for one tooth (right side, one right next to my front teeth). I lost it when I was 15 or 16 I believe, something like that. I had a flipper when I was younger, it did not fit properly, I was constantly in pain, I ended up giving on it, didn't wear it. Last year I was fitted for a new at a new dentist (new dentist in a new city and state and such) and has been great. I have severe social anxiety so I do not leave my house much so I do not -always- wear it but I do most of the time, I do not when sleeping and usually not when eating. My dentist told me I could try it, nothing too hard or sharp, small bites so I've toyed with it from time to time.

Anyway. I'm wearing the flipper at a stand still. My teeth moved when I went flipper-less and now that space is really small, and I have a tiny mouth as it is as they keep telling me. The bottom tooth where the missing one is grew longer, though isn't an eye sore at the very least, I have a small gap between my front teeth which makes me very self conscious though again it's truly not that bad. My dentist is a very nice lady, who had a few meetings and thoughts on what to do to fix the situation. She's more than happy to help, goes out of her way. They didn't even think I was going to be able to fit for a flipper because of the bottom tooth and the enclosed space but she had an impression made, sent it to the guy, both sent him and note and called him while I was there asking him to please find a way and explain my situation. (I was going home for the first time in six years.) She's gone through several options of what I can do next, but no matter what I choose I'm going to have to get braces to shift everything back into place beforehand. Which, is why I'm at a stand still as I really don't like the idea. I'm going to have to get over it I suppose. But that's a whole other topic.

Sorry.

Back to the flipper...

I am leaving next weekend, taking my first flight, which as a SA suffer is haha terrifying, I'm more afraid of the airport than anything else, and I had a question, may be stupid, about the metal screening. I have the little wire and ball points at the end of my flipper to keep it in place. I've read braces don't set the alarms off because of the materials used but couldn't find anything about flippers specifically. So will I need to take it out before going through?

Also. I'm going there to meet my online boyfriend and the only guy I've ever had a relationship with after ten years. (That's a whole other long story.) I've told him basically every single thing about me... other than this. So, I don't know, I guess I'm worried about his reaction as well sooner or later he's going to find out, most likely sooner. I'm staying at his house so I'm going to have to take it out to sleep if nothing else.

Unless I'm going to the dentist, or know I'm only going to be wearing it for a short time before having to take it out, I apply a little bit of Poligrip at the top (bringing some in my small see through baggie, travel size meeting the requirements from TSA website) which makes me feel more confident about it staying in place and such. But... Gah. Okay, I've never been in a relationship except this very complicated, online/phone one. (I've actually seen him before in person but did not approach him as was too shy to.) I've never been kissed. And obviously, if things go well at this meeting, that is something I'm going to be shone the light about. So, is my flipper going to be painfully obvious, for him or me? Weird? Gross? Not a big deal?

Thank you for any and all help!

I can't answer any of your dentistry questions, but I just wanted to wish you luck for your meeting. I'm sure everything will go well! If it were me, I would broach the subject online or on the phone before the meeting and I bet he will be just fine about it :)

Dentures, flippers, implants and the like don't set off the airport metal screening alarms so you're safe on that front :).

As for the kissing question - I highly doubt it would be a problem, though I agree with izzycat that it might be best to broach the subject online before you meet up, because it will be one less thing to worry about once you actually meet. Nobody's perfect and I'm sure there are a few things that he hasn't mentioned to you yet, either :giggle:

Best of luck with your rendezvous :thumbsup:

Thank you so much! That's so sweet! =)

I keep trying to but chickening out. =\

I'm going there to meet my online boyfriend and the only guy I've ever had a relationship with after ten years. ..... I'm staying at his house so I'm going to have to take it out to sleep if nothing else.

I don't see why this would bother him especially if he has seen photos of you smiling already.
However the Mother in me has to say, please be very very careful about meeting 'a stranger' like this..you really should have alternative sleeping arrangements in the first instance and not be totally reliant on a stranger who picks you up at the airport for your bed for the night.
Also be careful about drugs being elicitly planted in your luggage depending which countries you are entering/leaving. He may not be who or what you have been led to believe.

Thank you for the reply. =)

He's seen many pictures/videos/the works. It doesn't stand out unless you're really looking I've been told and it is really small. I just get a little self conscious about it.

And thank you so much for your concern. I have known him for ten years, actually seen him was just too shy to talk to him, know his friends and family and such.... but I do have several people in the somewhat near area who know where I'm going and who with (basically my entire family lives in the state I'm going back to) and I have a number of backup plans in case something goes wrong. I'm having faith in everything going well, but it never hurts to be safe as you can.

Back