• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How often do you have dental x-rays?

J

jamietidiman

hey,

I just have a general question, but ill explain the background and reason first....

After 6 years without any dental work... it finally caught up me and... tooth ache!!

I went back to my (very) previous dental surgery.

The dentist took a look and decided to give me a filling, rather that remove the tooth. That night, i had the worst pain in my life, no sleep and could not touch, eat or drink... next day went back, dentist gave me anti biotics, then as i was still having the pain a week later, he decided to remove the tooth.

In all this time... i never had an x-ray. Should i have had one?

Hi, you're right to be concerned. This certainly wouldn't be regarded as good practice, unless there were circumstances which prevented taking an x-ray (e.g. were you too sore, or refused to have one?).

NHS? :hmm:

It was nhs! Also, I wasn't in too much pain to refuse an xray, it wasn't offered in the slightest, bearin in mind I went 3 times i thought I wud if had one...

On top of that, my tongue is still numb from the first appointment, really rather worrying.

I'm new to this.... But so far I've had a ton of x rays! They even stopped twice and x-rayed my teeth durning the actual root canals recently. Perhaps... It's because they didn't know where to start with my teeth.. Or what needs fixing first. I dunno... :redface:

@jamietidiman

It sounds like your tooth needed a root canal to save it!

The GDC in UK seems to make it clear that (unlike in USA where a regular full mouth series of x-rays is very common and even the standard of care) x-rays should only be taken if there is a clinical need for them.

I would say no x-rays for 6 years and a toothache is a clinical need because even if the cavity is obvious, the x-ray would give extra information to give appropriate care which in your case would have likely been a deeper filling/even a root canal straightaway or if infection obvious antibiotics then a root canal.

As I stated in the root canal section:

I really don't think you can rely on the NHS to give the best care in extreme toothache situations...teeth which could and would be saved in the private sector tend to be badly -treated and then extracted or just extracted.

NHS may be fine if your teeth are in really good condition but if you need invasive stuff done, it's risky on quality to say the least.

I think it might be worth you going through the local complaint channels re the lack of an x-ray though because I don't think they intend NHS care to be quite as basic as you seemed to get.

Well that's my slag off NHS dentistry for the day post, I'll go back in my box ;)

well, im actually suing my dentist for negligence, as awful as it is... and i dont want to... but currently... and for the near future at least, i only have half a tongue... due to total numbness... and now i think i should of had an x-ray too... im kinda thinkin this dentist needs a tap on the wrist.

of course, id rather just have my tooth and tongue back. :(

well, im actually suing my dentist for negligence, as awful as it is... and i dont want to... but currently... and for the near future at least, i only have half a tongue... due to total numbness... and now i think i should of had an x-ray too... im kinda thinkin this dentist needs a tap on the wrist.

of course, id rather just have my tooth and tongue back. :(

Your numbness will hopefully clear up given time but it is good to hear of someone taking it further. I usually urge this but people then often just leave it. Let us know how things progress - sorry you have had such a bad all round experience. It is worth finding a competent caring experienced private dentist so you can get unrushed care more easily if this is at all affordable. The NHS offering is rather basic thesedays and seemingly a major training ground for newly qualified dentists.

nah im not leaving it, i have spoken to a solicitor. Having half a tongue is not fun times!! Even if it is only a few months, it shouldnt of happened. Fed up of waking up with an aching tongue cos ive slept with it inbetween my teeth, also fed up of choking because i cant feel how big the food is i swallow, also, i now have a lisp... and lets be honest... no one wants to sound like Louis Spence.

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could help me, where do i start if i decide to sue my dentist?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've merged your posts as it seems you've already started by seeing a solicitor. Perhaps seeeing another dentist for another opinion might help.

Back