• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified Of Injections And Now Dentists

J

Jennie

I hope it's alright that I've started a new thread? Feel free to delete it if it's not alright...

I was always fine with my regular dental check ups, then at 18 I was told I'd need 3 three fillings and booked myself in without a fuss. But when I was sat in the chair on "filling day" the dentist held the needle/syringe (I don't know what they're actually called) up in front of me and I bolted - I've never been keen on needles, but it terrified me, and he asked me to leave! I should point out that I was not shouting, hitting or being abusive etc, I was just crying.

Well, I then lost this dentist as they didn't inform me to come back for a yearly check up (they used to send a letter), so I ended up at a dental clinic, which was supposed to be because of my needle situation. All this dentist did was take a clean needle out of the packet, at which I paniced and almost fell from the chair, and he told me "well, that was a waste!" - To be fair, I didn't ask him to do this.

From then I had no dentist until December last year when I moved house, the new dentist was nice, though barely spoke English, but crying seems to be an international language! He wanted me to book in for the 3 regular fillings, but I told him I was too scared, so he refered me to the hospital.

I'm 25 at this point.

At the hospital I was informed that he's refered me for 3 extractions, but they weren't required. So I was refered to another dental clinic to have inhalation sedation.

At the clinic I asked if I'd need an injection, yes I was told, and then I was so scared I could barely hold the pen to sign the consent form, but he kept forcing it until I signed. He also said he was thinking of extracting one tooth, which is bad, but the previous dentist thought could be saved. I was petrified, in tears, and possibly having a mild panic attack, but he put the rubber nose thingy on but I thought I couldn't breath to took it off. He got annoyed at me, and the nurse suggested I went to sit with my Mum for a few minutes (she drove me there and was in the waiting room).
After a few minutes we were called in to talk about it, and he was saying if I didn't have this I'd have to have an injection in the arm or hand. I was feeling faint and leaning against the wall, but he kept on, until I left. He left it by saying he'd write to the dentist at the hospital who referred me there.

Talking to my Mum this morning (the first time it's been discussed), even she thought the dentist was too heavy handed and she didn't like his attitude. She's had plenty of dental work done without fear, so I'm taking that as a sign that it wasn't just my fear that caused my dislike to him.

That's where it was left, three weeks ago now. I was just afraid of injections, but now I'm increasingly scared of dentists.
I have a regular 6 month check up at my regular dentist tomorrow afternoon, but with a different dentist and even this is bringing me to tears.

I've just had enough now, I want the work done, the drills etc don't bother me.

Seriously, what now? I'm sorry for going on for so long, I though the background information might provide help.

Oh dear..you have been having a right old time.
It's extremely dumb of a dentist to wave a syringe in front of a patient - they look much worse than they actually are and they should be aware of this...especially for someone's first time.
Needle phobia is very common but some dental phobics are surprised to learn that dental injections can be done totally comfortably and for most, finding a dentist who will keep the syringe out of their line of vision and who will inject very very slowly so that no pain is felt, is enough to help them get over their fear.

If this doesn't work then there are sedation options etc etc (nitrous before i/v if necessary maybe or as you didn't like nitrous, you could put numbing cream on in advance so i/v is not even just a little scratch), de-sensitisation can also work once you have someone working with you who you trust.

Since it is very hard to go through life without encountering needles (often entirely comfortable or just a scratch but not always), it is well worth investing time in developing coping mechanisms. As I say dentistry has the advantage that the LA can be injected without it causing any pain as the mucosa are very different from the skin on your arm. The dentist has to actively use techniques to achieve this though (gel and slow delivery and making the tissues taught or applying counterpressure).

If you can afford it, the right private dentist would be better placed to help you cope. There's also The Wand which many people find helps as it looks so different and is painless.

Last edited:
Hi Jennie

I can really identify with you on the fear of needles. I have the same reactions you have described at the mere thought of an injection or slightest hint that there may be a needle anywhere near me – even if not actually being used on me.

I think that bring the needle out in front of you is really quite insensitive and there are a lot of dentists around who are more aware of the stress this can cause so will be at pains to keep the needle out of your line of vision. It really may well be worth looking for a new dentist; someone who is patient and used to dealing with anxious patients – there are lots of recommendations on this site.

As Brit has mentioned, many dentists are committed to offering painless injections, whether by using the wand or the delivery techniques mentioned. Until a few years ago, I truly did not believe that these painless injections were possible and there must be some exaggeration but having experienced it for myself I can honestly say that it works and has done wonders to reduce my fear of needles in the dental setting at least. My dentist does not use the wand but does employ the processes described on the site and along with the technique of not allowing me to catch a glimpse of the needle, I can honestly say that if he hadn’t told me what was going to happen, I would have no perception of having received an injection. I do still get quite shaky at the thought of a needle being used on me but the lack of pain involved has meant that I can cope with this whereas before I would simply have avoided having the treatment.

I will admit that I am still very needle phobic when it comes to other situations so cannot offer much help here other than a bit of empathy. I am currently pushing myself to develop coping techniques though because I cannot let this phobia rule my life.

When I had teeth extracted under GA in hospital one of the (many) things that terrified me about the process was the need to have the anaesthetic injected into my hand. When I met with the anaesthetist beforehand, I told her it was imperative that I did not see the needle – I was terrified enough at the thought of it and catching a glimpse would have made me run for the door. At first she was sceptical and a bit offhand, saying that it seemed like a silly request and how on earth was she supposed to do that so I told her that my dentist manages it and as long as the preparation was done behind my back rather than in front of my face, I would probably either have my eyes tightly closed anyway when it came to the actual event or try to fix my gaze on a fixed spot so she should try to keep out of that line of vision and not get offended if I didn’t look at her for fear that I might see the needle. I’m not going to pretend that the procedure was fine; I did find it very difficult to cope but was grateful that she did take my comments and suggestions on board and even mentioned to me afterwards that she had never really thought about making such simple changes to the way things are done but would consider it in future with anxious patients and children.

Finding someone who is sympathetic to the way you feel and willing to work with you on developing techniques and treatment plans to suit you, the patient, and make you feel comfortable rather than just doing things “the way they are done” is, I think the key.

Hi,
I'm sorry you are going through this. I just went in for a dental exam today for the first time in five years. I was terrified and shaking and couldn't speak!
It's very insensitive of the dentist to be flashing the needles in front of you. Are you able to tell them that you are scared of needles and come up with a solution together? Today before I had the exam I told the hygenist that I'm terrified of dentists and anything related to them. I think it helped just to talk about it first. Perhaps they can give you an eye mask to cover your eyes so you can't see the needle and won't be tempted to peek? Maybe another idea would be to talk to your regular doctor about the extreme anxiety your are feeling and maybe he can recommend some coping mechanism to help you get through it.
It sounds like that the breathing mask was a good option for you but you were worried about not being able to breathe. Maybe you could get them to explain how it works so that you won't be worried about it affecting your breathing.
My heart goes out to you, I know what it's like to be terrified.

Hug, Jennie,

What a couple of :devilish:'s! I'm so sorry you had to deal with such insensitive and plain un-professional "dentists." I, too, am terrified of needles but with the right technique and compassion, dental shots truly can be painfree. I wish you best of luck in finding a doctor who is worth your finding and trust. He/She is out there and makes all the difference in the world. I am super lucky to have such a dentist myself. Sending good thoughts your way.

Back