• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm actually happy

I

Indigogrl79

I went to the dentist on the 18th... Was suppose to get my two perm crowns but the dentist decided to wait till my other 6 cavities are taken care of. So lots of more work to be done..... He also filled/rebuilt 3 of my front teeth. They look beautiful!! Match my teeth color perfectly. And no more icky black decay! He used a laser on me and I got a pair of groovy glasses to wear. I'm so happy even though that makes 7 needles I've had.... So far and more are coming. HIDE ME! Lol

I have another appt on the 25th of this month. Wish me good luck!

Bravo and good luck (although it doesn't sound like you need luck)

rp

I'm pretty lucky to have found my dentist! So far it's been pain free.... With zero discomfort (after two root canals/ 3 fillings/rebuilding of teeth)

There is one thing I hope someone could give me some idea on and that is so far ALL of the work on my teeth have been on the top. Now I think we are beginning on the bottom... So the needles I'll receive will be into my bottom gums. Does that hurt anymore or less? Is my bottom teeth harder to numb?

Any opinions?:thumbsup:

My top ones hurt way more. But...I was knocked out for my bottom ones.

I suddenly don't feel very helpful. :rolleyes:

Good look Indigogirl79.

Dave.:)

Ok so I had two more fillings today! I'm still numbed up and it's been sense 2pm. Well.... Surprisingly it went well even though I came close to jumping out of the chair and running to find my dentist. They never told me that when they put needles into your lower gum that your tongue will go half(left side today) numb! I mean they said so but while I was sitting there waiting for the numbing up...... All of a sudden I couldn't swallow(tongue was numb).. Which left me to think I couldn't breath and for a split second I in my mind got up and ran screaming I can't breath!!! I almost did just that!

I'm thankful I didn't freak out cause it played over and over in my mind what my next move was. I came so close to embarrassing myself!:redface:

Besides all of this.... It went perfect! Felt the first needle slightly, but no pain then the second and third was nothing! I go back again on June 7 for more fillings... Oh and I did tell my dentist and the nurse that's there what almost happen!

All of a sudden I couldn't swallow(tongue was numb).. Which left me to think I couldn't breath and for a split second I in my mind got up and ran screaming I can't breath!!! I almost did just that!

Hey
The numb sensation gives a different sensation with breathing though the mouth and swallowing saliva. It s possible to do all these actions but it feels differnetly. :)

If the dentist has the right techniques including the patience to inject slowly, anywhere can be numbed in the mouth painlessly. The tongue doesn't always go numb btw - it depends which injection type is used (block or infiltration, STA etc ).

Well, depending on the age, the tooth and the kind of treatment, I might use STA or infiltration, but at least according to my experience, in most cases (for adult patients) only a mandibular block can allow a pain-free treatment, and then also the tongue is getting numb.

What is very important is to tell the patient what the effect will be, and then it does not come as a (unpleasant) surprise.

By the way, STA or WAND do not ensure good experience, sometimes it does the opposite because the dentist thinks that the machine does all the work. What really matters is the dentist's commitment. Whatever the STA or the WAND do, it is also possible to achieve the same effect with an ordinary syringe.

Last edited:
It took three needles to numb my whole left bottom side. My tongue and upper lip was half numbed to. So it was the whole side where I got the two fillings. They did numb it before sticking me but they were honest and told me I might feel more of a pinch because it's on the bottom gum. Which came true but after that first shot..... I didn't feel the next two, so I was fine till my tongue went half numb.

I'm worried now though because when they finally get to my two or three front bottom teeth, I'm scared when they numb that area for the fillings..... That my WHOLE tongue might go numb because if it being center front bottom area. I'm stressing about this... I think I need to ask the nurse not to leave me while they are waiting for the numbing to set in, incase I can't feel my tongue.... I don't want to freak and make a scene on them. I know if most of my tongue goes numb... I will honestly lose it. :cry:

Oh... And thanks for uhmm... the links and words of advise. Uhmmm yep!!!

Back