• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Complete upper extraction and denture

A

AzumiRM

Hello all and thank you for this site.
I will attempt to keep a journal of my current dental surgery situation in the hope that somebody will benefit from my experience. That is not to say that all people will experience the exact same story but it will, I hope, give you a rough idea.

Surgery Date : May 20th 2011

Days leading up to the surgery / background:
Throughout the week leading up to the surgery I was anxious "on and off". Some days I would be worrying about it. Other days I would be saying to myself : "It's about time I did something about it and I am glad I am". Having paid the dental surgeon "up front" a considerable amount of money (non refundable) I knew that I could not cancel or change my mind. Perhaps this fact psychologically prepared me. One week previously the surgeon had examined my teeth and had given me a print out of the work required. Being a full upper denture with all upper teeth extracted, as you can guess, it was a fairly long list.
Several complications I had considered seemed not to be a concern to the dental surgeon. I had previously been an alcoholic (started drinking at university through to around 5 months ago so a total of 10 years). My last drink was on December 20th at which point I checked in to a rehabilitation clinic/home). This heavy drinking can complicate bleeding problems and easy bruising but as I mentioned : the dental surgeon seemed not to be worried. I think partially because of my age (30). I had two crowns done whilst at university on the upper jaw. I will be the first to admit that I had neglected my teeth severely. I don't eat chocolate or sweet foods, I don't take sugar in my coffee and I dislike cola or any sugary drinks, but neglecting to brush my teeth had lead to decay. The reason I had created for not brushing my teeth was as a result of a sporting accident at the age of 17. I had collided with another player during a rugby match at it chipped my front two teeth. I was scared to brush them after surgery to repair the damage, worrying that I would dislodge the repair, that was my dental downfall. If I had have carried on brushing and the repair did fall out, I could have just gone back to the dentist for a simple repair instead of waiting all this time resulting in a full replacement.

Day 1: (first 20 hours) - Back 3 upper left molars removed.
After waiting in the lounge I made my way nervously to the operating room. At first I was intensely nervous. The surgeon injected me 4 times (starting at the back, moving to the front) with a standard injection of Novocaine. The injections were probably the most painful part of the procedure, my anxiety made it even worse than it actually was. After waiting 5 minuets or so for the Novocaine to take effect he then asked me if I felt numb, at that point my face felt like it was half hanging off so I just nodded. He proceeded to pull my teeth. The first two came out very quickly with no pain at all. It just felt as if my head was being pulled around. The third took a little longer as it broke when he tried pulling it using the normal instrument. Still no pain. After completing this, I was given instructions on the do's and dont's and a surgical dressing was placed in my mouth for me to bite down on in the effected area. They also gave me another 5 dressings to replace the original one with.
Arriving back home I had a good read of the instructions and followed them closely. I am a heavy smoker (40 a day) but I avoided smoking all together. I applied a cold pack to the side of my face for 20 minuets on 20 minuets off and took, in advance of pain, Co-codamol (8mg Codeine / 500mg acetaminophen). The pain did not set in for around 4 hours post surgery. The pain was not as bad as I have had in the past and ,I feel, significantly reduced by the pain killers. I have Tramadol on hand if needed but I have not had to use any. I went to sleep early and woke up at around 2am. The pain felt intense at this time but after standing up and taking a drink of water (on the side of my mouth not affected) with another dose of co-codamol, the pain again subsided and I was able to sleep through until 7am. The bleeding was intense for the first 4 or 5 hours post surgery. I changed the dressing 4 times after which I removed it all together in order to allow air to get to the affected area. The amount of blood was concerning but ,I believe, looked enhanced by saliva and water.
That brings me to this morning. I am feeling no pain at all at the moment (8:50am). I have taken another dose of Co-Codamol. I am still sticking to cold water only as my drink of choice until 12:30pm today. If there is any bleeding it is in no way comparable to just post surgery. After 12:30pm it will be 24 hours post. I will then begin my routine of Salt water wash. I also have TCP and Chlorhexadine at hand. The leaflet given to me by the dentist suggests 2 tea spoons of salt in a glass of hot water (as hot as your mouth can handle) every 4 hours, when spitting the water out do not use force. I will stick to this guideline thoroughly. I will update this page tomorrow.

Thanks and forgive me for the lengthy post.

Hi and welcome!!
As my fellow members on here had just recently pointed out to me, this fear we have of all things dental is irrational. I vacillate from being super brave or super scared......sometimes in the same day.
I used to have a fear of flossing my teeth, I just thought it would get caught in a cavity and cause infections. Even though I floss now, 2 1/2 years into my dental journey, I still feel an occassional twinge of that irrational fear.
I hope you continue to heal well.
Keep us posted of your progress.
Many :XXLhug: 's.
Jen

Hi and thank you for your reply.
Well it's coming to the end of day 2.
Last night the slight pain I was experiencing was there just before bed so I took two co-codamol (acetaminophen 500mg / codeine 8mg) which, after an hour or so, seemed to eradicate the pain completely. This time I did not wake up in the middle of the night with intense pain as had happened previously.
I am still sticking to soft foods as a precaution and when I do drink a coffee I have it with more milk in order to cool it down, drinking only on the unaffected side. I have noticed the pain, which is more annoying than it is painful, coming back approximately every three hours or just before my next dose of co-codamol is due. Very conveniently.
I have been bathing the affected side in a salt water solution (2 spoons of salt in a cup of hot water) followed by an antiseptic mouthwash made up of TCP and water. Holding the solutions in place over the extraction sites for at least 3 minuets before gently discarding them.
I noticed that on one of this discarding occasions there was blood. But I will not worry my self about that.
The same will apply tonight as I did last night for pre-sleep preparation: Bathe area as suggested above, Take two co-codamol.
I will say that the pain, although not severe in the first place, has eased somewhat compared to yesterday.

Look, someone I can sort of relate to!

I had all my uppers out at once though. The pain was, honestly, pretty terrible for the first three days then on the fourth and fifth was only an annoyance. Note that I had them all out at the same time, and had stitches, so it's a little different for you I'm sure.

You'll recover much faster than you expect, and I still say that infected teeth hurt worse than my full extractions ever did.

Good luck...feel free to ask anything I might be able to help with. (And upper dentures are easy, by the way, it's the bottom ones I'm not that fond of right now.)

Hi AzumiRM,
I'm going through a similar process at the moment...but I had to have front out first, as so loose.
Thats been the worst part...fearwise. But done...they've gone.
The rest feels scarier to me, probably due to my denture not fitting, but mines the top and an ongoing process too.
The good thing doing it in parts is that you do get used to wearing dentures, and having less teeth etc. The only bad thing, i guess, is its a longer process.
As Knightsaber says...the pain is less than infected teeth, and we all remember what THAT feels like!!
Anyway, just wanted to say welcome aboard, and best of luck for your journey...we're all here to help :)

Hi and thanks once again for the replies. It's good to hear I am not alone in the world on this right now.

It has been six days now. The slight pain has completely subsided. I no longer need pain medication but I am still sticking to the strict cleaning routine. I was due to have another three out tomorrow but the appointment was changed for other reasons. The surgery will start again on the 10th of June from the other side of my mouth.
I have noticed slight yellow bruising next to my nose and going down in a line to my lower jaw. The dentist has said it was due to the stretching of my mouth during surgery and that it will clear up in a week or so. My gums feel weird and enlarged but I guess this is due to swelling from the trauma.
Sleep pattern has returned to normal too, which is a relief.
I will post again when I progress further.
Thanks again!

Hey Azumi...
You're never alone :)
Keep to the routine...forever :) Makes you feel you are doing EVERYTHING you can, and helps.
I'm right alongside you...3 out on 9th June....scary!!!
Sooo glad I didn't bruise last time...but i tend not to, so better for me not to comment ^^ But have seen pics of ppl that have on here.
I'm dreading my further back ones out, but its side ones this time (don't know names of them lol).
Glad your sleeping better - its hard to still take care of yourself under that stress!

Well it has been a while.
Still no progress from where I left it last time.
I had to attend a medical which had be previously arranged months ago so my appointment for the 3rd was missed.
I attended yesterday and had quite the ordeal. Upon entering the surgery I was given 3 injections to the lower left side. The surgeon then proceeded to clean up my bottom front teeth while the injections took effect. He asked me afterward if I were numb and I said "not really" as I could clearly feel all sensation in my left side. He asked me to go back to the waiting room until I felt numb. After 15 minuets or so I went back in and he injected me a further 3 times and sent me back to the waiting room. I came back in to the surgery again and the dentist proceeded to ask me if is painful while poking around with his little hook. It was extremely painful toward the back so I explained to him that it was. He injected me a further 2 times, sent me back to the waiting room yet again. Brought me back in and prodded around a little more. It was still painful so I mentioned it again. He then proceeded to say that it was his lunch break now and that I should go home and come back later. I went back home again and sat, feeling a little dizzy and perhaps shell shocked at the whole ordeal. Needless to say I did not go back for the next part of the ordeal.
Swapping dentists on monday. It's a shame really, I wanted to get this whole thing over with.

I have had a few experiences with not getting numb enough, I really feel for you!
It's good thing that the dentist was checking on your level of numbness and when you said you could still feel pain, that he DIDN'T work on you.
Do you have an infection? The only times that I couldn"t get numb even after repeated Novacaine injections was when I had an infection of my tooth or gums.
I hope this next dentist is able to help you!!
:XXLhug:

I hope you ran home.............good decision not to go back, honestly that's a new one.

I'm so sorry to hear that...I'm glad you didn't go back too...!!!
I also had problems getting numb - funny enough that was on my lowers too, uppers seem to need less^^. (for me anyway). But she just kept injecting me until she ran out - luckily it did go numb at that point!!
Glad it hasn't put you off, and you have another dentist.

Back