• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Re: Wisdom teeth / gas sedation

G

Glenda

Hi. I'm having 2 wisdom tooth extracted fri with iv sedation. I'm very nervous,any comments. This is my first time being sedated. Thanks.:(

Hi. I'm having 2 wisdom tooth extracted fri with iv sedation. I'm very nervous,any comments. This is my first time being sedated. Thanks.:(

Hi Glenda,

I have an upcoming extraction with GA (6 teeth!), but I had a root canal a few weeks back with IV sedation. I had never been sedated before either, and was freaking out big time. Trust me, it is nothing short of miraculous.

You absolutely will not feel or remember a thing - all I recall is having the needle put in my arm, the dentist telling me that the "hard part of the day was over."

The next thing I remember is they had to ask me like 10 times to open my mouth when it came time to have me bite down on the x-ray film near the end of the appointment. (I should note that your wisdom teeth most likely won't require this, and besides, I was completely numb to any sensation whatsoever at this point, despite following their instruction.)

Then I was home, eating tasty soft food.

IV sedation is such an amazing thing. I'm getting GA because I'm a huge baby and paying an arm and a leg in the states, but you should be just fine with the IV. I have 2 more appointments for fillings/crowns/deep cleanings after my extractions, and they will be performed under IV sedation. I am considerably less anxious about these appointments than I used to be.

Bottom line: IV sedation is great, no need to worry. It literally makes a super scary, traumatic experience as easy as taking a little nap!

Back