• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What work have you had done on your teeth ever?

3 or 4?: fell and hit my face as a toddler, front tooth grew in dead with root growing sideways out of my gum. I don't remember how this was removed, but I do remember what it felt like to have the root growing out like that.

I think I had one or two fillings in baby teeth, but I don't remember exactly when or how many.

10-12: braces
~8-12: sealants
late teens/college: 5 fillings as soon as the sealants wore off
17: 4 wisdom teeth removed (with iv sedation of some sort)
25: 2 replacement fillings + 2 new fillings
30: 2 replacement fillings
34: 7 replacement fillings that went very badly, leading to re-replacement of multiple fillings and eventually 3 root canals and crowns.

coming up:
2 implants to replace congenitally missing teeth. Supernumerary teeth sound like a better deal.

These have been mixed experiences. Some were quite painful (both as a child and recently), some were fine.

14-17: braces with a palette expander (aka torture device)
early 20's: first filling, took filling out due to reaction, temp filling, re-do filling
30: more fillings than I can count after 6 years of avoiding the dentist b/c of fear
30: 3.5 wisdom teeth removed in 2 separate appointments with 2 different oral surgeons
(still have roots of one left)
30-33: a few more fillings
33: 1st crown and subsequent RCT after my tooth responded poorly to the crown preparation
34: more fillings, 2nd RCT (after my tooth respond poorly to one of the fillings) and 2nd crown
35: ??? hopefully nothing... but I've still got a lot time time left in 35.

despite regular dental care and good oral hygiene for the last 5 years, my teeth seem to be on a slow road to no place good. I wish I could be like a lot of the others on here and get through a big chunk of dental work and be able to go back to happy, problem-free 6 month cleanings, but, unfortunately this does not seem to be my lot in life. :(

despite regular dental care and good oral hygiene for the last 5 years, my teeth seem to be on a slow road to no place good. I wish I could be like a lot of the others on here and get through a big chunk of dental work and be able to go back to happy, problem-free 6 month cleanings, but, unfortunately this does not seem to be my lot in life. :(

I think we are almost twins.... although I never avoided the dentist for an extended period, and I'm a few months older. After the recent massive fiasco of filling replacements gone horribly wrong, I am afraid that all dental work for the rest of my life will devolve into bad outcomes and painful side effects. My rate of getting new fillings has slowed, but instead I have been launched into the world of crowns, RCT, and implants. It was much nicer when the dentist used to say "You have nice teeth" instead of "You are an interesting case". :(

Well I've had several baby teeth pulled...Several cavities filled, 6 root canals with crowns, several extractions, including 3 wisdom teeth this year. I'm needing more work so probably more the the same:redface:

More fillings than I can count, 3 extractions that I can remember although there could have been more, one root canal treatment and I've had some sealant put on my upper molars to help prevent them decaying as I have soft teeth.

3 abscesses in 23 years (They drained one, let one die down with antibiotics, then did an rct and extracted the tooth above one and it came out with the tooth, hurt like nothing on earth.)

As a child I had fillings, crowns, extractions, and some metal piece put on my molars to keep my front bottom incisors from moving as my permanent teeth grew in. As an adult, I've had all my wisdom teeth removed, plus another molar, and a premolar (6 permanent teeth removed). I've also had one root canal of a molar, more fillings, and a fixed chipped front tooth.

6 fillings with 2 redone recently.

three extractions.

Deep cleaning of the gums.

Braces.

5 or 6 fillings
Splinted front teeth after injury, may need root canals, terrified.

Under the age of 18: 5 extractions, braces, 3 fillings
18 years old: 9 fillings
19 years old: 5 fillings, 5 fillings replaced

Just a random thing, post what work you ha e had done on your teeth and about how old u were when u had it done:)
The dental work I have had done is 3 teeth extracted 1 baby tooth and 2 permanent teeth; 14 amalgam fillings and 8 white composite fillings; a crown and 2 implants.

Age 10 baby upper premolar extracted as the adult one was growing behind it
Age 10 both upper 1st premolars extracted for orthodontic work UR4 and UL4 or numbers 5 and 12
Age 10 to 11 braces on top teeth
Age 11 2 fillings upper first molars UR6 and UL6 or number 3 and 14
Age 12 2 fillings lower first molars LL6 and LR6 or numbers19 and 30
Age 14 2 fillings lower right 1st and 2nd molars LR6 and 7 or numbers 30 and 31
Age 15 6 fillings all 1st molars and bottom 2nd molars UR6; UL6; LL6; LL7; LR6 and LR7 or numbers 3; 14; 18; 19; 30 and 31
Age 16 1 filling lower left 1st molar LL6 or number 19
Age 20 1 filling lower left 1st molar LL6 or number 19
Age 21 2 fillings lower left 1st and 2nd molars LL6 and LL7 or numbers 18 and 19 white composite fillings
Age 22 4 fillings Upper first molars and lower right 1st and 2nd molars UR6; UL6; LR6 and LR7 or numbers 3; 14; 30 and 31white composite fillings
Age 30 crown on lower left 1st molar LL6 or number 19
Age 42 1 filling upper left first molar UL6 or number 14 white composite
Age 43 1 filling lower right 1st molar LR6 or number 30 white composite
Age 47 2 dental implants to replace both upper 1st premolars UR4 and UL4 or numbers 5 and 12 as the gaps never closed.

I had my first cavity at 17 :cry:, thus I had a white composite filling (first lower molar at the left side).

I had my second cavity at 19 :redface: and a silver filling (first lower molar at the right side).

I was cavity free at my last appointment 3 years ago (at 25). :jump:

I need to go to the dentist soon... :(

Pulled grown up tooth because of an accident. (age 10)
Braces in middle school.
Cavity filling.
Wisdom tooth extraction (all 4) which resulted in a broken jaw (this begins my dental phobia) (age 16)
Cavity filling in between two teeth. (age 18)
Root canal. (age 21)

Mine aren't too bad because my dental phobia didn't start until five years ago and when I have pain in my teeth I go anyway because I don't want it to get worse. The root canal was the scariest but they gave me iv sedation, but now I have to go in to my regular dentist for a permanent filling that should take half an hour and that kinda scares me :/

First filling at 8, I've lost count on how many fillings I had until age 16 although my phobia started when I was about 10, I managed to hid appointment cards from the postman for 18 months from my mum until the dentist phoned while I was in school. I had 3 years of orthodontic treatment, countless fillings until age 16, when my anxieties grew, ignoring toothache until age 21 when a premolar broke off, Root canal treatment and a gold crown, avoided dentist again for 6 years until 6 weeks ago when the crown fell out, crown prep, post placed, failed crown referred for crown lengthening surgery.

I'm 27

i might be missing a couple of things, but;

6: had extra baby tooth removed. I think it was a front one.
12:had appointment to have mould made for braces, bit the guy's finger and went home, never had braces.
15:filing and reconstruction work done on almost all of my teeth. Took 2 appointments at an hour 30 each. I cant remember the exact details but yeah, for a 15 year old it sucked.
17/18: first root canal
19: abcess (never again MY GOD), root canal
21: root canal
22: partial root canal, few months later extraction
23: 31 extractions and a denture made

me and teeth don't mix well :/

I never had braces or fluoride treatments or any dental care as a small child. I never saw a dentist til one came to school when I was 14. A letter must have been sent home about the poor state of my teeth because suddenly my mother was bringing me every 6 weeks for a filling. I think she could only afford to pay for one at a time otherwise they would have done at least 2 while I was already numb on that side.
anyway
age 14 -8 fillings 1 for each molar. 1 was done in 2 appointments because it was so big and so deep it required a sedative filling first so as not to turn into a root canal.

age 19 I went and had my first ever cleaning. That was the experience that led to my dental phobia

age 21 4 impacted wisdom teeth surgically cut out of my jaw

age 34 chipped enamel filed down where some crazy drunken woman hit me in the mouth with a glass of ice because she thought I looked at her low life low class boyfriend

age 39 filling. then a week later filling removed and replaced with sedative filling due to severe pain then 2 months later replaced with permanent filling.

age 39 scaling and root planing (what some people call deep cleaning) for gum disease since the only cleaning I ever had was 20 years before.

age 47 (this past September) my very large very deep amalgam broke during my cleaning. The one that had been done in 2 appointments and was more amalgam than tooth. I had the amalgam all drilled out and replaced with my very first composite filling, which has been bothering me ever since.

Last week I had this same tooth crowned.

Age 4? : Cleaning/Exam: Don't remember well except I went with my dad.
Age 10: Cleaning/Exam with XRays. Gagged with the bite wings. There started my fear.
Age 14: Cleaning/Exam/Xrays: Nothing traumatic. Still was nervous.
Age 17: Cleaning/Exam/Xrays: Was told that I had 14 cavities and the school nurse asked me about then every time she saw me, regardless of who was in the room or not.
Age 17: Exam/Consult/Xrays: Was told I had 16 cavities, some that needed either an exctraction or root canals.
Age17: Cleaning: Not bad.
Age 18: Exam/Consult/Xrays: Told that I only had 6 cavities that could be filled, and need wisdom teeth removed.
Age 18: Cleaning: Again, not as bad as I thought it would be.
Age 18: 3 fillings that took 1 hour. I was scared to the point of insanity, but I made it out like a champ!
Age 18: 3 more fillings, and the "see you in 6 months".

Still to come: Regular cleanings/exams/etc..., braces (maybe), wisdom teeth (again, maybe)

I know that when I was young, I had to have caps and at least a few silver fillings done. I guess I was like 4 or 5. Thanks to it having to have the work done by them fricking papoosing me, I began refusing to go at some point when I was younger. Yea, REAL nice. Take a kid to one dentist, see that she is refusing to open her mouth then take her to a papoose using dental school instead of going for a sedation route! Should go w/o saying that i'm pretty against medical purpose papoose boards.

Fast forward to last year and me avoiding the dentist for quite some time(my guestimate puts me at no less then 17+ years of not going) and I make the mistake of going in to get things straightened out. Did I need to go? yea... I guess but I should of taking a different route like going to one of those "we deal with dental phobic people" dentists. I've had to go through 14 extractions, 2 fillings.

Age 8 / 9 - first filling.
Age 10 - extraction due to abscess.
Age 16 - 4 fillings done on my molars.
Age 17 - 3 out of those 4 fillings cracked, got them fixed.
Age 18 - 1 of those "fixed" fillings cracked, got it fixed. Again.
Age 19 - had an occlusal splint made and fitted to stop me grinding my teeth in my sleep.
Age 21 - got fillings in my front teeth and had an emergency extraction of one of my wisdom teeth.

I've had scale + cleans, check-ups and a few fluoride treatments between restorative appointments.. but I actually enjoy having dental work done, so I look for any excuse to go! :)

I had my first cavity at 17 :cry:, thus I had a white composite filling (first lower molar at the left side).

I had my second cavity at 19 :redface: and a silver filling (first lower molar at the right side).

I was cavity free at my last appointment 3 years ago (at 25). :jump:

I need to go to the dentist soon... :(

Age 12: a dental check-up (no cavity)
Age 14: a dental check-up (no cavity)
Age 17: first filling
Age 19: another filling
Age 24: a dental check-up (no cavity)
Age 28: cleaning, 8 fillings and a root canal.

extractions when I was younger, dentist told me (well my parents) I needed some teeth taken out when I was about 8 to make room for my adult teeth, I cannot carry 32, only 27-28.

Fillings, one root canal, one extraction I was in pain (did not want to have a root canal done because I was going away in a weeks time and could not afford the price of the tooth being fixed as this was not the normal dentist I was seeing at the time.) oh yes forgot about bonding.

I had that special stuff put on my gums, teeth when I was 8 I had some
fluoride varnish added to my teeth/gums?

Apart from cleaning, scale and polish, x rays (when needed) and the telling offs from the dentist :( only trying to help.

I had to have one of those removing braces in my teens, because I have got some sort of cross bite, which did not work, when I was ten my dentist wanted me to have an operation to help my teeth come together which my parents did not think it was a good idea.

I still don't like going to the dentist, I think from the 1st time I went to the practice when my 1st tooth came though I have had 9 dentists at the same practice. I sometimes have to be drag to the dentist even though I am adult, even though I have regularly appointments.

I am scared of losing my teeth, more dental work :( I don't want dentures.

Last edited:
Back