Thread: I have a failed root canal and don't know what to do...

Default I have a failed root canal and don't know what to do...

I'm hearing alot online about holistic dentists and how getting a root canal can have negative impacts on your health and definitely think that's what I'm feeling right now. I have a root canaled tooth which is the last tooth on my lower left jaw. A few months ago all my teeth in the lower jaw pretty much started caving in and there is now a whitish lump on the gum next to that tooth, it doesn't hurt, and my dentist told me its "nothing significant" and left it at that. Right now I'm feeling constantly very fatigued and the left side of my face around the TMJ area feels numb. I do have TMJ problems on that side so it could be just that. I'm 24 years old, sometimes I feel nauseous like I'm about to throw up but never did yet. My gums have been receding these past few months also... I'm pretty sure I started grinding my teeth. The person that did my root canal told me that there was a canal that he couldn't reach and left it alone. He told me I might start having problems with it again later on but that most people don't. Do the majority of people with root canals really live their whole lives without worrying about theirs?

I'm worried and am not sure what to do, I have a membership at a dental group but no real insurance, I don't trust the work these guys do much. I'm missing a tooth on the right lower jaw, my left lower jaw is larger than the right and is also the side the root canaled tooth is on. I hear that it's usually a good idea to get a crown/fake teeth to replace it once it's pulled, but in my case I'm wondering how my jaw will "collapse" and if it will even out my jaw more or make it look worse than it already does. Will I need to get braces again after this also? I feel like theres too much to look into and am not sure who to trust... getting second opinions is going to be very expensive along with actually getting the tooth extracted I'm assuming...

Default Re: I have a failed root canal and don't know what to do...

Root canals only work long-term if they are done properly. You have been told he has missed a canal, you need to see an endodontist for a retreat if you want the best chance of keeping the tooth and being without symptoms.
      Ones where they miss a canal or two i.m.e. never feel quite right and can rumble away for years before blowing up into abcess situations.
      I'm all for keeping teeth by having root canals done properly though and don't accept any of the holistic claims.
      http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/root-canal/
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

This root canal was done on a molar though, its the very back tooth on my lower left jaw. it was impacted and I guess damaged from the surgery when they went to bring it up. What the endo told me was that there was a smaller canal that branched off the main canal he couldn't reach. I've read online that some people's molars are just like that with extra canal branches... Are these ever reachable? I hear that as much as 2 out of 3 root canals need to be extracted some time in your life anyway, but am not sure how true this claim is. What bothers me right now is that the gum surrounded that root canaled tooth is whitish color. There is also a white spot that appeared some months ago around the gum line on the inner arch where the root canaled tooth is. I told my dentist about it thinking it was an abscess, he seemed to think the white spots are normal and didn't really want or think it was necessary to refer me to an endo because it wasn't painful. I think something is definitely up though. The white spot appeared shortly after I started having gum problems, grew a little in size, then shrunk back down to this size when things settled down a bit. It isn't painful like an abscess is supposed to be, but my gum isn't supposed to be white like that... something is up and I don't know what... if I choose to get retreated by another endo, would that be possible if there actually is an infection going on down there right now? Would it even do anything for me if there is? I remember seeing 2 dark circles under this tooth on an xray, a littler xray showed those 2 spots were almost or completely nonexistent, but that was maybe 4-5 months ago and now I think I'm having problems...

edit: What do you mean exactly by holistic claims? Does it mean that you disagree that root canals could cause you to feel sick and all?

I'm not a dentist but I think root canals done properly are a valid treatment option and that holistic dentistry is quackery causing people to lose teeth unnecessarily.
      If an endo has failed to find all the anatomy in yours then you may be better off without it if it has symptoms you are not happy to live with. The dark circles on the x-ray likely indicate infection. Maybe you can easily live without that tooth if it is the very back one and is somewhat impacted. But extract it because it is not possible to do an adequate root canal on it, not because root canals don't work because they do; and often for many many years.

Depending how old it is and how good the endo was, it could be that a different endo with up-to-date techniques could do a better job. My endo found several missed canals in a tooth I had retreated - it had rumbled off and on but never anything painful, just weird sensations for almost 2 decades. It is now re-treated and crowned and feels normal.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

The thing about me is that my face is also asymmetric... when you look at pictures of me my face/jaw is larger on the left side where that tooth is, I can also feel a difference in the jaw shape with my hands and am not very happy about this. To make things worse I've also had one of my lower front tooths pulled out when I was little, its on the right side of my lower jaw. So, I have a larger left jaw while also missing a tooth on the right which I think contributed to the way my jaw shaped up this way as I matured. What's strange though is that the teeth at the end of my mouth actually align together and if I pull this one out the top tooth would have nothing to touch down on... I dont know if I should be talking to an endo about this or an ortho or a person that does dental implants... I got in contact with a holistic dentist that wanted 150 for a consultation with her... that's crazy money...