Thread: Why do my teeth hurt after getting 4 fillings?

Default Why do my teeth hurt after getting 4 fillings?

I've had fillings before, which I've always found to be weird because I take meticulous care of my teeth. I brush and floss twice a day and have a healthy diet. But I needed 4 cavities filled, and my dentist did them all in one day. They were all the very back teeth on the top right, bottom right, top left and bottom left. The two top ones were in between the very back teeth and the second to back teeth (my wisdom teeth have been out for 10 years now). Anyway, I started experiencing EXTREME pain in tooth #15 whenever I bit down, and on the opposite side of my mouth it's been uncomfortable to chew. I'm literally living off of soup. It's been 5 days, so I went into the dentist and she adjusted my bite on the not-too-painful side. It didn't help. She also told me after about 2 seconds that my tooth #15 "must" be fractured, and she pushed me to get a crown the very next day. I'm not saying it's not, but she literally made that call after about 5 seconds. Every morning when I wake up, my jaw hurts really bad, and I can't get ibuprofen fast enough. I try not to jump to conclusions, but I don't know if it's just because I got about 4 shots in each tooth and my mouth stayed open for almost 2 hours. I also experienced my first migraine, and i thought I was going to die. I'm going in for a second opinion in a few days. I'm still curious, though, what this might be. The pain comes and goes, but it doesn't hurt unless I'm trying to chew, then it's my undoing. Thank you so much!

Default Re: Why do my teeth hurt after getting 4 fillings?

I'd get a second opinion from a dentist with a good reputation and probably steer clear of dentist 1 from now on. People really should consider 'staging fillings' with new dentists and be sure they are technically competent before letting them loose on more than one tooth.
      You can get sensitivity after fillings (especially badly done ones or close to the nerve ones) but suggesting a crown as a solution just sounds like money-grabbing - you might even think she did a bad job of the filling so she could suggest a crown. Do not crown a painful tooth it will cost more and likely not even work. Your tooth is more likely to need a root canal before it needs a crown and cracks are very hard to diagnose so beware anyone claiming 'it is cracked' - usually if it really is badly cracked extraction is the only sensible option. She may be suggesting a crown as she doesn't do root canals.

Sorry you had such a bad after-experience from your first fillings. What kind of dentist works in all 4 corners of your mouth on the same day? Were you actually numbed in all 4 quadrants for this? Beggars belief.
      Was this a dental chain dentist in USA as it certainly sounds like the sort of substandard care they seem to often deliver?
      You should ask for a copy of your x-rays to show to your second opinion dentist - it could be you didn't need the fillings at all.
      Last edited by brit; 6th June 2011 at 05:33.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

Post op sensitivity is common (especially with resin composite) and sometimes takes months to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
      Do not crown a painful tooth it will cost more and likely not even work. Your tooth is more likely to need a root canal before it needs a crown and cracks are very hard to diagnose so beware anyone claiming 'it is cracked' - usually if it really is badly cracked extraction is the only sensible option. She may be suggesting a crown as she doesn't do root canals.
      Endodontists routinely recommend a tooth suspected of a fracture be prepared for a crown and a well fitting temporary be placed for a month to see if the sensitivity disappears. I'm going to have to disagree with the statement that a tooth is likely to need a root canal before a crown. While really badly cracked teeth will need to be extracted, if the crack is above or just slightly below the gumline a crown is a very valid treatment option.

Now, I'm not saying that the OP needs a crown by any means...I'm just trying to say that let's not jump to conclusions.

Decan, OP wouldn't be posting on here, if he didn't feel in his gut that something is not right with dentist 1.
      I think it likely his second opinion dentist will just want to re-do the fillings more competently in the first instance, not leap to a crown or a root canal .

It takes a whole level of incompetence/inexpereince, I would have thought, to work in all four quadrants at once (why even do that in one appointment?) and leave the patient in pain on both sides of his mouth.

To OP, I forgot to ask were these composite white fillings rather than amalgam? It is received wisdom on this website that composite fillings are much more technique sensitive. So if they were composite, a second dentist redoing them may be all you need.
      Last edited by brit; 6th June 2011 at 08:10.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

hey, everyone! all the fillings were amalgam. I'd heard bad things about composite fillings, like they're really painful and don't last as long. Anyway, the pain is always really bad in the morning, but the second I take an ibuprofen it goes away (I'm getting a mouth guard today in case I'm grinding my teeth at night). I'm in zero pain unless I eat, which is why I'm thinking I don't need a root canal. All my research (which could be totally wrong) says that if the tooth hurts all the time, even when not chewing, then that's a sign you need one. Is it possible that if the tooth is fractured (which is what Dentist 1 said) that she did it while doing the fillings? I had no pain in any of my teeth before I went in, and now, well...here I am

I recently had 4 fillings done and my teeth/mouth was sore about up to about a week afterwards, but are both totally fine now.

How long has it been since you've had them done? If so I would give it a few days and see if it calms down, if not go back to your dentist.

I had all of them done on Wednesday, and today is Monday. The thing is that it's not just sore. I can literally only eat soup and mashed potatoes-the second it touches my teeth, there's a sharp pain the #15, and a dull ache on the entire other side of the mouth.

If you're me, you get an abscess after a filling, ask for an xray.