• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Want good teeth

B

BigRobert

First off, this will be a long post. I tend to ramble sometimes.

I'm 29 years old. I have no insurance and no money right now. More on this in a bit. I have been to the dentist a few times over the years, for both my upper front teeth. Once I got a little carried away playing with one of my little dogs, and his foot I think it was, slammed into one of the fronts and chipped it. 2nd round was the other, got hit with a rock while cutting grass and cracked.

Both times I just didn't go until I was too self conscious to ignore it any longer. Both times were 2 visits, first was general checkup, xray, cleaning all that. 2nd was repairing the tooth with what I assume to be a uv cured plastic.

First round of visits, I was 19. When he was repairing the tooth, he decided to do a little exploration of a nearby bad tooth, while I was numbed up in the area (needs extracted I'm sure) and he poked in a nerve that wasn't numbed with the little shepherds hook needle thing. Hurt like hell. I never went back.

2nd round I was 26-27. Same thing, first was general stuff, he told me there was a lot of work, but he could do it. I was extremely nervous, I mean extremely. On edge for days before. He gave me 3 Valium I think it was, and it helped a little. Not much, but a little. Took them the morning before, evening before and morning of if I recall.

He shot me up with novacaine. Felt nothing but a little pressure while he was filling, sanding all that. But I was still terrified, cried all the time from the nervousness. Never went back. Just too afraid.

Part of the problem was, I'm a big dude. Yes, I'm overweight, but I'm also tall. And this dentist office is very small. I mean small. 3 rooms for patients, and each is smaller than a jail cell. Claustrophobic feelings for me. Plus I know a lot of the people who work there, they're from the community, and again, it's embarrasment and shameful feelings to go there, and be in that condition and to act like a big baby about it.

Also, just the whole sounds/feelings of the cleaning freak me out. For work, they numb you up, and that's it. I could, if I had to, deal with that. Don't like the sounds, or seeing what appears to be a little smoke (probably dust) coming from your mouth, floating through the bright light.

Now, onto some more background. I had such high hopes for myself. For a long time I didn't have a job, helped around the house with dad, and his health was failing. Then I got a small job. Was miserable, then found out about an opportunity with dad's trade. Tried to get into that, and if I had, probably would have stayed. But I wasn't accepted into the apprenticeship.

Then I was told getting into an affiliated local, part of the same trade, would help next time they had a class starting. Was likely going to be accepted.

So I went to work in the other trade, not making as much money, but decent. Planned to get my insurance and get started with the dental work. Wouldn't cover all, but with insurance and what I would make, I would be able to work my way to being confident again.

Well, the economy took a nose dive, and took my dreams with it. 4 months on the job, and I had my hours in for initial eligibility for insurance. Next week, got laid off. Project was starting to wind down, and since I was low man on the totem pole, was one of the early ones to be let go. No work was available. So I had no insurance. Can't get the hours needed to keep it active.

Well, then dad died, he was my guidance in this trade stuff, had a lot of connections. Shortly after, got a job in the trade but it only lasted a month. Work was slowing down, and is still very, very slow.

I had hopes of getting into the other trade, or working for some years, get my teeth fixed (need 6 replaced probably), then decide to stay in that, or maybe go to school for something else. Thought about nursing, if you can believe it. Construction worker turned nurse? Or auto repair, something.

But with no insurance, no money, no credit, I am screwed. I have little hope I'll ever make anything of myself. Even though a lot of my teeth are decent. Only 1 in the front is bad. I still feel very nervous, and embarrassed to talk to people. I avoid dealing with people face to face as much as I can. And that bothers me. I like to laugh, to make others laugh. I love to help people, be around people. But I just feel too ashamed that I let this happen to me. All because of an extreme fear of dentists (and doctors in general, but I can deal with them).

I want what my sister has. She has good teeth, straight, no problems. A good job as an RN, good car. She's making a difference in other people's lives. Helping them heal, helping their families through the rough times. Not afraid to confront people to get help in a store or resturant.

I'm so ashamed, embarrassed and feel no confidence, and it's mainly because of my teeth. Yes, I could do with a doctor (don't have one, as I don't have insurance remember) who would work with me on these things. Maybe prescribe something to help. Helps my sister a lot.

I'm actively looking for a job doing anything, but with my limited work history, and my issues, I'm nervous in interviews. Which does not help me at all. Went on several, but never got anything from them.

Now I have another problem. The wisdom tooth lower right, is hurting for the last few days. I can feel around the gumline, and can feel it may be cracked (part of it has already broken off months ago), and I don't know if it's infected or what. Can't put pressure on it, pushing with my tongue makes a dull ache under it.

I don't know what to do, haven't slept much in the last few days. 3-4 hours sleep, and I wake up with throbbing pain. Take some advil, and a tylenol, and it dulls it some. Enough that I can not think of it too bad. But it still hurts.

I know I can't go to the dentist, as they'll want money at time of service. Could go to the ER (charity care patient), but all they'll do is give me antibiotics and pain meds, which would help it and let me sleep for now. But what about next time.

I've been looking online, and I found a few dentists in the area who do some amazing looking things with implants, and fixing teeth. And they do several forms of sedation, which would be a great help for me. Make me not care or make me sleep throught what your doing, and it'll be fine. But as I said, I have no way to pay them either.

Even if I had a job, which I'm still looking for, working the hours they'd probably give me, at minimum wage, it'd take 3, 4 months to save up enough to just get that one extracted. At that rate, I'd be getting this stuff done over 5-10 years.

I just have little hope for things right now. Afraid I'm just gonna become an old toothless person, who won't ever leave the house out of embarrassment.

Anyone have any thoughts? Been through this, know someone who has? Maybe someone was worse and found a way to get it done. I just need some guidance, some kind words even. Someone who can point me in the right direction maybe.

If I could find a way to get work done, then worry about paying it off, I would. Even if it took me 5 years or more, I'd be happy again. Yes, I would be happy being in huge debt for years, and would work my ass off to get a way to pay. But what dentist is going to take a chance like that.

I just don't know what to do. I'm too embarrassed to really sit down and talk to my closest family about it, or anything really.

Hi, I'm really sorry I can't help you much, as I see you live in the USA and I don't know how the financial set-up works over there (though I'm sure other people on here do, and will have some good advice.) I only want to say you sound like a really nice, kind, hardworking person, the sort any employer would be glad to have. I'm complete rubbish at interviews, but I'm now self-employed, work from home and have built up from 2 companies as customers to a nice little batch of customers who have all become my friends. I don't know if that would be your cup of tea as you sound more of a "people person"! In the UK, charities of all sorts are screaming out for reliable, trustworthy volunteers and this very, very often leads to paid work. I don't know if that might be something to consider? I do wish you all the luck in the world.

I'm not in the USA but I understand something called Care Credit is an option. There's more USA info here:

well, this morning the pain was getting worse. So, talked to my mom, and she said, well I've got this card called Care Credit.

Oh really now? Couldn't tell me this before? But anyway, apparently I can use it, or at least the dentist I was afraid of going to will since they know us.

Anyway, went in, the aid or whatever looked at them, took and xray (circular around the head) and said we'll prescribe an antibiotic.

Then the doc came in, said I'm sending you to an oral surgeon to get it extracted, and we may as well take all the wisdom teeth and the one next to the infected one that is messed up because of the wisdom tooth.

Gave me an antibiotic and I asked for at least a few days worth of something strong to help the pain and to help me sleep/relax.

So, right now, not feeling too bad.

But, I may be getting things started, or at least getting part of it. The nurse/aid/whatever, I started crying. Told her, it's so embarrassing for me to come here. She said oh don't be.

Sounds like your first appointment was successful! I'm glad to hear it!

I wish I had perfect teeth teeth too, but I don't. I'll take pain free and functional, that's good enough for me;)

Remember that you do this for your health, having pain and infections all the time isn't good for you, and you have to take care of yourself.

:)

Sounds like potential to get a big problem fixed! Sometimes we hear things "wrong"... the receptionist was probably saying what you "needed" to hear, but maybe not "how" you wanted to hear it.
Go with the Care Credit...and read the terms carefully. You will feel so much better when this is taken care of, but know the payment plan.
Good luck and best wishes. I feel good things coming your way!!!!

Pain flared up earlier, I think I ate something and either bit something with that tooth by accident, or slammed my jaw down and banged teeth, or maybe just the area is sore and I hit it with something.

Anway, I took another half dose of the pain med, just to help. And am a little sleepy/chill right now.

I have some thought, impressions etc... I want to share, so I'll post tomorrow probably.

But I will say this, the doc said we need to take care of the infected tooth, and the wisdom teeth. The rest, he said, is not "an immediate concern". I took it as, yes you have some problems, but it's not as bad as you probably think it is.

I'm beginning to think the first round of visits, where I had the bad experience and thought he was a dick, may have been in my head. I still don't like the place, but he's a good man.

Anyway, I'll post more later. Thanks for the kind words folks.

Totally forgot to come back and update you all. I've been feeling ok for the last month. The one that was infected hurts when I wake up, not throbbing, but if I press on it with my tounge, it's a little tender. Has been since it got infected.

Been keeping busy, or trying to. Summer, so there's lots of little things to get into. Grass, repairing things etc....

I don't know if I said this earlier, but they scheduled me for July 19th at the surgeon, then Friday they called and said we can get you in on the 18th if you want. I said sure, fine with me.

Anyway, going in tomorrow for the extraction(s). Was gonna have my mom take me, since my sister was supposed to work Tue night (RN, works nights) but I think they're both going, since she is off tomorrow. For support, and because it might be fun for them to see me drugged up (hoping they knock me out for it, do not want to be conscious) and it's an adventure.

So, I doubt I'll be updating you guys tomorrow, unless I have an extremely easy time, so it'll be a few days before I get back. When my sister looked at my xray, she said wow, your roots are strong and very thick. She's not in the dental field, but she knows a thing or 2 about x rays and all that. So it may be a difficult time. Not counting today of course. Unless tihs site works well on my phone.

I'm hoping all goes well. Been so nervous the last 3 days, I've barely slept. Will probably not sleep until I just can't stay awake any more this afternoon or evening, and will hopefully sleep until time to get up in the morning.

Anyway, you guys who commented, and the forum in general, have helped me. Put me at ease, and not to offend, but have read threads of people who are in worse shape than me, both dental wise and fear wise, and are making it work. And if they can get things done right, and have a proud and happy smile, maybe I can too.

I will probably stop by more often, maybe share my experience with others who are having problems.

Rambling again, sorry.

Thanks guys and gals.

Sending good thoughts your way ! Please keep us updated. :XXLhug:

Well, went in this morning. Was nervous, but not too nervous actually. Was weird.

They took another xray just to be sure, then said the ones next to the wisdom teeth (3 out of 4 anyway) were screwed and it would be a good idea to take those too. So I said sure.

Knocked me out, and it was all over and I was awake and recovering in 15 minutes or so.

I plan on keeping a diary of sorts over the the next week or so, about how things are going. Maybe I'll post on here after I'm feeling better.

I'll post more later, just tired and chill right now from the pills.

Bravo!!!!!!

rp

!!!EXCELLENT!!!
I've been wondering about you...soooo glad you've taken the bull by the horns! Be kind to your mouth for a while, do lots of gentle saline rinses, stick with very soft food. If it feels bad for a bit, be patient...you will soon feel WAY good!

I'm glad you got through it, and I hope you recover quickly !

Back