• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wats going through your mind

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

When your at the appointment waiting to be called up:(

There is always hope for tomarrow

Last edited:
usually how quick can i get from here to the car!

1. how can i lower my heart rate?
  2. is this going to hurt?
  3. i feel sick
  4. am i shaking?
  5. i wish i wasn't me
  6. breathe
  7. don't look at the clock
  8. i feel sick
  9. they all know i have dentures
  10. oh christ, do i know them?
plenty more, but top 10 :):giggle:

For me it would be oh man first procedure here we go hope everyone on the forum is thinking of me :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

i think that as soon as i get home...but sorry...my top ten are the irreversible thoughts.
But the second I get home, after the shaking and the near panic attack syndrome subside, I get on here!
You guys keep me sane :)

Yea same here

1) Why am I the only person in the waiting room ?

2) Are there actually any dentists working today ?

3) Has that clock stopped ?

4) Wonder if my bike will still be there when I get out ?

:ROFLMAO:

I always think i wonder if they notice if i run! I like to get to the appointment a little earlier like 10 or 15 minutes and sit and take in the smell's and sounds which helps calm me a little i usually pick up a magazine flick through it to distract my brain and just tell myself over and over again that i can do it. and the sooner i get in there the sooner i get back out.But everytime i feel the fight or flight instinct kick in and i have to fight it and convince myself when they call my name to walk in

"What is she going to find this time?"

Top 11 Waiting Room Thoughts:

1. This has been the longest 5 min of my life!
2. Call me already! Wait no! Don't call me yet!
3. Focus on something! The news is on...the news is stressing me out more. DON'T focus on the news!
4. I wonder if the person sitting next to me is scared too and trying to act calm.
5. I wonder if the person sitting next to me can tell I'm scared.
6. Am I shaking? Focus on not shaking (shakes more).
7. How am I going to not shake in the chair if I'm already shaking now?
8. Reliving the most recent, previous experience over and over (thankfully, positive experiences).
9. This is just one hour out of my whole entire life...I will survive no matter what happens and carry on with my day.
10. Flip through magazines in a frantic manner thinking this is in no way conducive to calming my fears. (I did find, however, that looking at magazines while already IN the chair IS helpful as opposed to in the waiting room. I don't really understand why this is but I looked at magazines while waiting for anesthetic to work before and it worked sufficiently as a distraction.)
11. I hope the dentist is in a good and patient mood to handle me just in case I freak out.

For me, it usually goes something like this...

In the waiting room:

1. I hope my appointment is on time, every minute feels like an hour.
  2. I wonder if the people at reception will notice if I sneak out before my appointment?
  3. I know, I'll try and keep my mind off it by playing a game on my iPhone.
  4. 30 seconds later... Nope. That didn't work.
  5. I know, I'll plan my route of escape in case I decide to leave in a hurry... You can never be too prepared!
  6. Oh my God, the door's opening, they're coming to get me!! Phew, relief... No they're not, it's just another patient coming back out. Wait! That must mean it's my turn next.... arrrgghhh... nooooo!!!
  7. Seriously consider running for the door now. Decide to stay for another 30 seconds to see if I can handle it.
  8. Damn, I've started shaking again. Absolutely convinced that everyone in the waiting room knows I'm shaking. Sit on hands.
  9. Starting to feel dizzy from breathing too fast. I know, I'll try and focus on the radio playing in the background, maybe that'll help. It doesn't.
  10. Look at the clock and watch the second hand ticking round. Wish the clock would break so that my appointment time never comes. It doesn't and it's now time for my appointment. Any second now... My eyes have started to water through nerves, I really hope they don't notice.
  11. I really hope he's in a good mood... He'll need to be to put up with me. How on earth am I going to hide the shaking? I am completely convinced he thinks I'm a basket case.
  12. The door opens and my name is called... Heart skips a beat. Think I'm going to throw up or faint, or both. I know, I'll try holding my breath for a few seconds. Maybe that'll help.... Nope. I still feel sick, the room is spinning and the floor's moving.
  13. Walking downstairs into the basement (dungeon!) with the nurse... I know she's trying to be friendly by asking how I am, really hope I can answer and not just make mumbling noises like last time.
During the appointment:

1. This is it, in a couple of seconds I'll be in the room... Start praying that he's in a good mood (not that he's ever been in a bad mood, but you never know, there's a first time for everything).
  2. OMG!!! There it is! The Chair... and The Dentist. Run!! No, I can't run. He's only said hello and asked how I am. He hasn't actually 'done' anything yet. Wonder how long I can get away with hovering near the door and not actually sitting in 'the chair'?
  3. Damn! He's noticed that I'm hovering and has asked me to take a seat. Do I really have to? Can't he just do my filling from over here? Do I actually need to be sat in 'the chair'? Can't he just give me the filling stuff so that I can do it myself at home? I made things from modeling clay when I was at school - it can't be that difficult, surely?
  4. Sat in the chair. Shaking increases and I've now ended up in a cold sweat. Really hope my make up doesn't start to run.
  5. Any second now the injection's coming... noooooo!!! Decide to screw eyes tight shut so that I don't see anything. Nothing happens for a few seconds so decide to open eyes to see what's happening again.
  6. Peer round the back of the chair. OMG. It's in his hand... and he's coming towards me.... Noooooo!!! Stop breathing for a few seconds. Start to feel dizzy again.
  7. Damn. he's noticed that he has a demented jellyfish in his chair who's not breathing properly. Better do as he says; close my eyes, take a nice deep breath and relax...
  8. Really want to cry now. Eyes are watering and tears are escaping despite screwing my eyelids tightly together. Panic... Panic... Panic...
  9. Wait a minute... where's the injection? Where's the 'bit of a sting' that he mentioned? Oh, it's already happened.
  10. Decide that he's not started the injection yet and was just trying to fool me to calm me down. Open eyes to check what's happening. Catch sight of syringe in mouth. Close eyes and continue panicking. Wait for pain to start. It doesn't.
  11. Wait a minute, what's that he's saying?... He seems to be saying something about feeling a bit of pressure (I don't) and that I'm doing really well. Aww... that's nice. I like that. I was never told that when I was little.
  12. He says he's finished... Hmm, my mouth is tingling and feeling strange, is that it?
  13. Decide that as long as I'm numb, don't feel it and don't see it, he can do what he likes.
  14. What's this? He's half way through drilling, has told me again that I'm doing really well and I've stopped shaking. Yay!!!
  15. Decide to try and fall asleep in the chair to prove to myself that I'm making progress. It doesn't work, but hey... you can't have everything ;).

--I'm not walking through the door until exactly time for the appt, no matter how early I am.
--I wonder how soon I can leave.
--I hate the way it smells in here.
--How can these people be so calm?
--how big the f-ing needle is and how long it takes.
--How soon can I leave?
--What a crappy way to start the day.
--That it does feel nice to get my teeth cleaned (when it's done)
--Why would anyone choose this career?
--I hope I got my teeth clean this morning before coming.
--That poor kid, he's way too young to have to be subjected to this.
--I hate the fake smile on the receptionist's face.
--How soon can I leave?

- I refuse to go, I don't want to go. I'm an adult woman, I can decide if I want to go or not damnit! Screw you all!
- Crud, they made me go.
- Insert crying here. Yes, I always cry in the waiting room because my nerves get the best of me.
- The needle is huge, why do they have to have such huge needles? I don't want the needle. I hate the needle .... STUPID NEEDLE. GRAAAH!! More crying.

Pretty much the whole time I'm thinking about the dreaded injection.

Once I'm in the chair, I also only think about the injection. It's on my mind constantly until it's over, once the sting and the uncomfortable part is done it's more or less okay.

Thank you all for the advice it will really help

the door in my dentist would mnot let me in it kept getting stuck the first dentist recent one just red bits of this post not all like Vickis bits i read on her post.

Dave.:)

Yea my threads are very straight forward lol

Back