• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All Four wisdom teeth are impacted- terrifed

S

SmileyBunny

Hi,

I just went to the dentist today, and found out all four of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Now I have to make an appointment with the oral surgeron. I just wanna cry, I dont want to get my teeth cut out, the thought of it makes me want to faint. What are they gonna at the appointment with the oral surgeron?? Please some help, support.

Your first appointment should just be a consult where the oral surgeon agrees or disagrees with your dentist's recommendation and you get the chance to ask all the questions you want and choose under guidance whether you wish to be sedated or have GA or whatever for the procedure assuming he agrees it is necessary.

There are many Success Stories if you look on the Forum. Wisdom teeth extractions strike fear in people because so many people have them despite never having needed any previous dental treatment in their teens.

Like most things in dentistry it can all be painless so long as you put yourself in reputable hands and the worst bit is likely to be the recovery period afterwards but even this should be inconvenient rather than painful if you keep your pain at bay with relevant prescribed medications from your dentist.
Take a list of questions when you meet the surgeon and if you don't like them, go elsewhere.

I had a wisdom tooth extracted on Thursday.

I was given 2 injections very carefully, and I promise you that I did not feel the needle at all.
The extraction itself was totally pain free.
My appt was for 2pm.
I was called in at 2.10pm
I left to go home at 2.30pm

Dentists these days are light years ahead of what I had to put up with when I was younger.

I promise you, you will not feel a thing.
:)

Hi SmileyBunny

Your first appointment will just be a consultation and it is a good idea to write down any questions you have, things you want, don't want, things you are nervous about. I made sure my surgeon knew exactly how I felt - poor guy, I think I scared him!!

I had my 4 wisdom teeth out (along with 9 others) under GA at the hospital after years and years of problems and pain - I know everyone says it but it was no where near as bad as my imagination had led me to believe.

In the end I went because I had no choice but how I wish I had done it years ago. I got into the hospital and after having a needle - which I didn't feel - I was asleep in seconds. I woke up what felt like minutes later feeling very, very tired and when I got home I went to bed and slept for almost 18 hours.

I was given antibiotics and pain medication but although I felt a bit battered and sore I had no pain.

One of the things I have always wished I could do is send all dental phobics an hour of how you will feel after your treatment .... the feeling of pure relief, the feelings of being able to live a 'normal' life free from pain - it is amazing !!!!! ;)

Thanks everyone, I had my consult on the 12th and my surgery is on the 19th. At this point I'm not really freaking out, but I'm beginning to. I'm having IV sedation, i'm scared about that:o and the overall recovery. and the taking Xanax before the procedure. any feedback??

I had teeth taken out of the roof of my mouth under iv and never knew it happened. Today I just got a tooth out today that had a root canal 10 years ago and because of that it had fused with the bone. That meant 45min of cutting and drilling and I was beyond scared when I went in. You know what it is nothing, I felt nothing, no pain, no real pressure, nada. 5min into it I was like is this what I lost a months sleep over, silly. Yours will probably take less time than that with a good oral surgeon. Just close your eyes and think about something you like to pass the time, that is basically it.

Back