• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What A Mess

G

Gappyone

hi, i have been going through the mill lately, i have a tooth with a chronic abscess which has been in need of extraction for nearly a year! i have no problem with going to the dentist for check ups, cleaning ect, but as soon as the needle goes in and even a small dose of non adrenalin injection is issued i start shaking uncontrollably, heart palpitations and go cold basically think that something is terribly wrong because i feel awful. wears off after half an hour then i am ok. i do suffer from anxiety, but my dentist has said i might be sensitive to the ingredients in the injection (Scandonest). So if you know of any anaesthesia testing bodies can you advise me i am in the surrey area or if this is just sheer panic causing my symptoms. My next issue is if the continuing problem with my tooth is causing damage to my heart as at xmas i fibrillated and after an echocardiogram have been told i have mitral regurgitation and the cardiologist has told me to get this tooth out but then i am back at square one again worrying if a local anaesthetic will cause my heart to palpitate, fibrillate or stop! catch 22 situation!

hi, i have been going through the mill lately, i have a tooth with a chronic abscess which has been in need of extraction for nearly a year! i have no problem with going to the dentist for check ups, cleaning ect, but as soon as the needle goes in and even a small dose of non adrenalin injection is issued i start shaking uncontrollably, heart palpitations and go cold basically think that something is terribly wrong because i feel awful. wears off after half an hour then i am ok. i do suffer from anxiety, but my dentist has said i might be sensitive to the ingredients in the injection (Scandonest). So if you know of any anaesthesia testing bodies can you advise me i am in the surrey area or if this is just sheer panic causing my symptoms. My next issue is if the continuing problem with my tooth is causing damage to my heart as at xmas i fibrillated and after an echocardiogram have been told i have mitral regurgitation and the cardiologist has told me to get this tooth out but then i am back at square one again worrying if a local anaesthetic will cause my heart to palpitate, fibrillate or stop! catch 22 situation!

From what you have said the problem is not the anesthetic but more likely your own release of epinephrine that results from your panic attack. Consider speaking to your cardiologist about taking a beta blocker and a sedative prior to any future attempts at dentistry. Beta blockers are a class of drugs commonly used to treat hypertension but are also effective for stage fright and commonly used by musicians.