• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Quite terrified.

N

Nicnic

I've slipped around this forum for quite a while, but never posted.

But I thought it might be time before I start going mental.

A bit of back story first.
I live in Australia, went to the dentist a few years ago (maybe 2-3) when I felt half my wisdom tooth missing and I felt a strange hole in my bottom front teeth (inside part).
The strange hole was just calculus he said.

He gave that a clean while the anesthetic kicked in, and before I knew it the wisdom tooth was gone and I was none the wiser. Well, apart from the horrible noise it makes.
All done in the space of 5mins.

Had to go back about 6-7 months ago when the wisdom tooth on the other side started doing the same.
The guy I got this time was hell...
Me: "Before I open my mouth for you to look inside, I want you know I'm terrified of dentists..."
Dentist: "That's okay... So am I."

I giggled, felt a bit at ease. Then he injects me. I feel numb, and he starts digging around for what felt like AGES!
He sees the fear and lack of colour in my face and says "Don't worry. It's not going to hurt..." shows me both his hands while a steel hook is hanging out of my mouth "See, that's in your jaw!"

At this point, I'm in no mood for games... I was extremely easily triggered and wanting it all to be over. Luckily I don't think he caught what I said as I was mumbling, but suffice to say, it was packed with profanity's and things he should go do with him self.

Also, the calculus I had the first time I went to the GOOD dentist was back. Seems to be a little worse. But here in Aus, our free dental care has a massive wait time (8 years)
But I'm going in under "emergency" for aforementioned issues.

Which brings me to the point of this long winded post.
I'm going to the dentist tomorrow for the calculus to be removed, and I'm pretty certain I have the same dentist as I did last time. (the bad one)

Can't really remember the feeling of calculus being removed last time, but I'm terrified.
Probably because it's not the same guy who did it painlessly as he did.
And I'm worried it's the same one I had last, the bad one...

Also, for the past 5+ years, I've had what I believe to be decay around the gum lines of my teeth. Only on the outside tho from what I can feel anyway.
It's not discoloured and aren't that deep. It still looks white. (Well, whiteish. Bit of staining but that's it) but I'm certain the enamel is gone.
Would they just need to be filled in? Would it be horribly intrusive and painful as I imagine it to be? Can it even be fixed or am I doomed to be pointed and scorned by my dentist while he tells me he has to rip them out?

When I visited the GOOD dentist guy, I asked him and he said "OH, that just needs to be filled to improve your confidence!" I was freaking relieved. But my imagination has gotten hold of me and I'm now worried he was just saying that and didn't really look, and that after I left he was LAUGHING! You can see where my head goes with all this, can't you? -_-

Hey

Your story is a great example on how important is the connection and relationship with the dentist on the dental anxiety. As a dentist who try to give the best experience for phobic patients I can testify that this relationship is so fragile, it can be easily damaged.
Luckily, an appointment for oral cleaning is the best way for establishing trust in the relationship, because the patient can feel immediately if the dentist is working gently and well :).

Three points worth mentioning regarding relationships:
first, it is not a catholic marriage. If it doesn't work out, search for another dentist.
Secondly, It takes time to build up trust and good relationship. You used the adjectives bad and good for the two dentists, so I really advise you not to take this tagging to hard. He might surprise you for the best ;)
thirdly, the dentist needs your guidance. I really advise you to share with him, tell him what you need, give him a constructive feedback.

Quite interesting considering what you said.

I just got back from my appointment.
The dentist I got was totally different to the previous one I was concerned I was getting (sadly here with public health care and the massive back log, we don't have the ability to ask for another one)
But thankfully, she was amazing. Extremely tolerant of my phobic disposition towards dentists.

All in all, I didn't feel a thing and she was extremely thorough. Both happy with how my teeth feel now, and relieved that it's done!

Hey

it is not a catholic marriage.

Dr.Daniel, I love your posts and find them very comforting and very helpful, and that quote is a cracker; you have surpassed yourself there. I shall think of that next time I am at the dreaded place of dentistry and I may even manage a smile for once! Brilliant! Thank you.

Hey

it is not a catholic marriage.

Dr.Daniel, I love your posts and find them very comforting and very helpful, and that quote is a cracker; you have surpassed yourself there. I shall think of that next time I am at the dreaded place of dentistry and I may even manage a smile for once! Brilliant! Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words. They really uplifted me.

Back