• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Time, Terrified

V

viennarose

So I am 19 years old and have never been to a dentist (besides cleanings as a kid.) I now have one tooth thats half gone, and 8 teeth that may have to get root canals. I also have severe general anxiety as well. I have a few questions. Is it at all possible to get a root canal/crown on a tooth thats half gone? The nerve is exposed and its horrifically painful, or do I have to get it pulled. How long does a root canal take? (just the drilling and stuff not prep). If I have to get it pulled whats it like the next few days?

Also, if I choose IV sedation do I feel high? I have a huge fear of feeling high. I cant even get drunk. I am absolutely terrifed and dont know how Im going to make it through this. I was thinking if I dont get sedation to just wear blacked out sunglasses and listen to music so I dont have to see or hear the procedure. Anyone try this?

Sorry for all the questions, my first appointment is tomorrow and Im so scared I feel like Im going to die.:shame:

I had a root canal performed when I was a teen. I had several shots in my gums and the entire procedure was pain free. Before, during and after. I remember them giving me 2 days off of school and thinking I didn't need it. I kept my eyes closed and listened to the music the ortho had playing. Pretty sure I fell asleep a few times during the procedure as well, that could have been due to the painkillers though.

The entire procedure took about 2 hours, and this was about 14 years ago. Not sure if there have been any great advancements in that time but that's just my rough estimate. To be perfectly honest, the whole procedure was so un-extraordinary that I barely remember it!

Root Canals do not hurt at all...trust me. Unless your Dentist is bad and I mean really really bad at numbing. The only thing I felt last time was the needle (a little bit) but I just got one done last week I closed my eyes for a bit then my mom asked me if the numbing hurt and my reaction was: "They numbed me? I didn't feel anything" it was painless ;D

The fact that a lot of the natural crown of the tooth is missing and it's painful doesn't mean it's hopeless to keep it with a RCT, but only a dentist who can examine you can evaluate your tooth.

RCT doesn't really take that long, I never checked my watch. It depends on what kind of tooth it is molar teeth take longer because they have more roots, and also if you are doing a single visit RCT where you have the tooth cleaned out and have the gutta percha filling placed in one go.

During the procedure: Tell the dentist at once if you're uncomfortable, rest your jaw whenever you have the chance so you don't get tired, and just relax and breathe. Even very inflamed and painful teeth can be successfully anesthetized for RCT, so there shouldn't be any pain.

I've never had sedation, but RCT isn't traumatic at all, it's mostly very quiet, with the dentist using tiny hand instruments, no scary sights or sounds at all, except for the handpiece when they open the tooth, so you'll mostly just be sitting there getting bored. Doing it without sedation could be an option too, especially if you're OK with the shots. Listening to the radio or the dentist talking can be just as calming as bringing music, and you won't be so isolated. I was like "Hey, nothing really bad can happen now, the radio is playing Robbie Williams, and my friendly endodontist is talking about the weather".

Good luck, no matter what you choose.

:)

I've only had one tooth extraction, and I have to say that I wish I had sedation for that one, it was no fun, but mostly because the oral surgeon wasn't being nice to me. And then I had a dry socket, which is a complication that sometimes happens, so all in all not a very happy extraction experience. But I was still OK, and I was glad to get rid of the bad tooth. I'd rather have a RCT, but this was a wisdom tooth, and I couldn't see the point.

I hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
Back