• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Utterly EMBARRASSED

firexcracker

firexcracker

It's been 12 years since I've seen a dentist. Last time I saw one was when I was still a young teenager and under my parents' insurance. Since then I've gone through bouts of homelessness, jobs that didn't offer insurance, and college tuition bills. It's always been one thing after another.

As a kid I never took good care of my teeth. I drank a lot of soft drinks and fruit juices which has unfortunately left my enamel in poor shape. After not seeing a dentist for 12 years, my already poorly cared for teeth are in pretty bad condition. It's really embarrassing and that's the biggest reason I've delayed a dentist trip for so long.

Last year I actually broke one of my teeth, it split horizontally and there are still a few pieces of broken tooth left in my gums. My current job doesn't offer insurance and so I've been unable to have it extracted. I've been unable to chew on the left side of my mouth for a year. Finally, over this last weekend, I've come down with an infection. The broken tooth doesn't hurt, but the one right behind it. My face is swollen and I'm in a great deal of discomfort.

I know it's time to suck it up and get in to the dentist to have this mess fixed once and for all. I need to get back on track and start taking better care of my teeth but I'm completely and utterly embarrassed about the state of my mouth. I know I'm definitely not a worst case scenario, but I'm still feeling some pretty intense anxiety about seeing a dentist. However I'm also trying to weigh that against the amount of pain I've been in for the last year. My greatest fear is that they will tell me it's not worth it, just yank 'em all and get dentures. I know I could deal with the pain of restoration work, I'm just terrified they will tell me there's nothing they can do for me.

I understand this is definitely one of those "dug your own hole" situations, but I'm still scared out of my mind! The office opens in about 5 1/2 hours and I'm wide awake, sick with anxiety about having to make that call in the morning.

I pray there is someone else out there who's had to have extensive work done that can offer me a glimmer of hope. The procedures I think I can deal with.. it's just the thought of my bad childhood decisions affecting the future of my teeth is embarrassing and sickening. :(

Your post really hits a chord with me. I hadn't been to the dentist since I was 18, I went for a clean 18 months ago. I never had enough money or inclination to go before.

I too never looked after my teeth, and drank sickening amounts of sodas. My fear is the same as yours, I was told at the time I had periodontitis, by a particularly unpleasant dentist. I couldn't go back.

I also need 9 fillings, but I can't find the willpower to go. I'm scared now I made my situation much worse. Please don't do what I did, go.

I was in a similar boat.

I hadn't been since I was about 11 or 12 and went again when I was like 26.

Since then I've had a couple of surgeries (osseous) because I have periodontal disease, but my mouth is finally back in a healthy state and I'm going every three months. Not an ideal scenario, but I understand that it was my not going forever that landed me here and I'm actually (mostly ;)) ok with going.

I really hope you called and were able to be seen!

Thinking of you!

Oh, I hear you on the "dug your own hole" bit. I drank way way way too much pop and I know that and neglect is why I'm in this boat now. I've actually been pop free for a little over a year now because of my teeth and weight.

I'll be watching for your posts - please keep us all updated !:XXLhug:

Many health problems are partially or fully caused by lifestyle issues, this includes obesity, depression and tooth decay, but none of them are anything to be ashamed of. Tooth decay is one of the most prevalent diseases in the world, we can't all be embarrassed!

Many people don't have insurance, but can still pay for necessary healthcare, and getting an infected tooth extracted or RC treated is necessary healthcare. You need to take care of yourself, nobody else will do that for you. One good thing is that there isn't just one way of fixing your bad teeth, and a good dentist should be able to make a treatment plan that will work for you, economically and otherwise. Remember that you don't have to get anything done once you get your teeth examined, you decide what they should do. If you have an initial appointment, then you might find out that it's not as bad as you thought.

I think it's impressive that you're no longer homeless, you sound tough, and you can get through this.

I know about toothaches, and you'll feel so much better once you've gotten it sorted.

Good luck!

;)