• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

sensitive teeth after fillings ??

D

davemark

is it normal for teeth to be sensitive to cold after fillings , has been 7 days now

Regards

On some other post Z said there can be sensitivities to things for up to two weeks.

(I'm at more like 6 weeks ;_; )

Especially with metal fillings, sensitivity can be quite common due to their high thermal conductivity and microleakage potential.  It can take some time, weeks to months, for the problem to go away as the nerve lays down secondary dentin to shield itself off from the source of the problem.  If the bite is somewhat on the high side on the new filling, it can aggravate the tooth to make it sensitive to temperature and chewing.  In that case, it's best to have it checked and adjusted.

As long as the sensitivity is not lingering and goes away fairly quickly once the temperature returns to normal, the nerve should still be okay.  Just watch out for spontaneous pain, sensitivity upon chewing, and worsening cold sensitivity that lingers on that might indicate a more serious problem.

BTW, it's nice to know people are remembering a few dental things. ;) I certainly like it when people know a lot more about dentistry so they can understand the reasoning and methods involved. Knowledge is power!

cheers z, i just notice if i bite on a certain tooth and sort of move it back and forward ... it really really hurts .. like tin foil effect

is this normal

It could possibly be a high filling or a bite issue.  Do you normally bite on that tooth that way when you're eating?  It's hard to say whether there's some localized periodontial disease around that tooth which may be contributing to it's sensitivity or something else.  Without xrays and an exam it's very difficult to tell.  I would suggest checking with your dentist if you're concerned about it.

Zzzdentist said:
It could possibly be a high filling or a bite issue.  Do you normally bite on that tooth that way when you're eating?  It's hard to say whether there some localized periodontial disease around that tooth which may be contributing to it's sensitivity or something else.  Without xrays and an exam it's very difficult to tell.  I would suggest checking with your dentist if you're concerned about it.

cheers i will put up with it for another week and if its still as bad or worst i will book a checkup

Dave

Mine took a couple of weeks also. I couldn't even put toothpaste to it. Very sensitive. It's OK now. :cheers:

One of myn inpaticular has been VERY sensitive to cold and hot for 2 months now :confused:, it doesent bother me much so you should be fine, because all my other ones went back to normall in a week or so :grouphug:

-mikey

Back