• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Xanax -vs- Valium for Wisdom Dental Procedure?

S

sabrina

Hello to all,
I will be having 2 of my wisdoms removed this September. I can't afford an oral surgen so I've found a dentist who will remove them for me.
This dentist only uses LA and said if I needed something to keep me calm during the procedure I would have to go to my MD to get an anit-anxiety medication.

I have an appt. tomorrow with my MD to see if he will prescribe me an anit-anxiety medications for this dental procedure.
Has anyone had any experiences with either of these anit-anxiety medications for a dental procedure and which one worked best for you in keeping you calm, valium or xanax?

Thanks,
Sabrina

I am surprised that your dentist is not comfortable giving you a suitable drug to help you but valium and xanax are in the same class valium is best known as it was the first of it's class for anxiety xanax would be a better choice. He could consider ativan and halcion also.

I am surprised that your dentist is not comfortable giving you a suitable drug to help you but valium and xanax are in the same class valium is best known as it was the first of it's class for anxiety xanax would be a better choice. He could consider ativan and halcion also.

Hi comfortdentist,
Thanks so much for your input :)

Sabrina

For being in the same class, xanax and valium work very differently for me. Valium lasts about 5 minutes and then wears off. I get relaxed to the point of being able to smile in the dental chair, and then it's gone. Xanax is much longer-acting for me, an hour or so, and achieves a feeling much more like relaxation than a brief buzz. I know that different people react differently, but I do not trust valium, and don't even try it any more. Oral meds are iffy, and titrating is tricky. I've heard that Halcion is much better at inducing a good sleepy feeling for having dental work done, I'd certainly ask about that one.

For being in the same class, xanax and valium work very differently for me. Valium lasts about 5 minutes and then wears off. I get relaxed to the point of being able to smile in the dental chair, and then it's gone. Xanax is much longer-acting for me, an hour or so, and achieves a feeling much more like relaxation than a brief buzz. I know that different people react differently, but I do not trust valium, and don't even try it any more. Oral meds are iffy, and titrating is tricky. I've heard that Halcion is much better at inducing a good sleepy feeling for having dental work done, I'd certainly ask about that one.

I talked with my doctor and he suggested I take 1mg Xanax, so guess that's what I'd do and hope it works!

Thanks

I talked with my doctor and he suggested I take 1mg Xanax, so guess that's what I'd do and hope it works!

Thanks

That should do it, I usually take 0.25mg for easy appointments and it makes me feel a bit woozy, 4x that much should make you nice and relaxed.

I have to agree with Clem, I'm not a fan of Valium. It made me silly, but still anxious and then not feel well for a few days after.

rp

ativan is better than xanax
but xanax is well known brand than ativan

Frankly if you haven't taken these drugs before any of them would be rather helpful

I've run into a slight problem with the Xanax.
I'm allergic to "corn" and Xanax has corn starch in it. I'm ok taking one 0.25mg of Xanax but when I take anymore at one time I have a problem with it because of the corn starch in it.
My dentist uses "Halcion" sedation for people like me who have the anxiety problem but Halicon also has corn starch in it. Valium has corn starch in it too.
So I did a little research on Ativan, and found it doesn't have corn starch in it.
Being I've never taken Ativan and I don't know how the dosages is for Ativan I'm not to sure how much to take to put me in a very relaxed mood.

Thanks,
Sabrina

If you dentist is comfortable with halcion then he won't have a problem with ativan. Why not ask him th write a prescription for several pills and try it at home in advance of the procedure so that you know what the effect is for you

Hi comfortdentist,
I have Mitral Valve Prolapse & Syncopy and a few other health problems so my dentist wants my doctor to fill out a Medical Release Form before he does the extraction for the 2 wisdoms and 1 moler.
I see my heart doctor this Monday so I plan on asking him for the Ativan and also have him fill out the Medical Release Form.
Thanks so much for you reply....
So nervous about this dentist appointment! I'm such a chicken!

Back