• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ready or not, here I come... (my first post)

C

Clifford

Hi all,

Where should I start?
I wasn't at the dentist for long time VERY LONG TIME... and if I was I could not stand it. I'm an absolute wimp. I believe my teeth are very bad, but I need to find a way to resolve my fears and to resolve my teeth problems.
I'm sure that the dentist need to extract some teeth, but I start now to worry about infections. Even when I haven't been there yet. As I said, I'm a wimp! I hope we will find a dentist who can help and understand me (a bit)!
I was today talking with my wife about it, as I can't stand it any more and I need Help, but my fears are so bad, like the fear of "death" if that makes sense... I hope it is alright when I post here a bit of my journey and hopefully will be able to get in touch with other people who have the same problem!

Hi Clifford!
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here too and can tell you it's a blessing to have it!
Have you thought of starting a journal to document your journey? It can be very helpful :)
I understand about a fear of "death". It's not my fear with the dentist but I have a problem with it in relation to other things so I can understand.
You should know though you've just made your first big step! Posting here is huge because it means you're not hiding anymore and want to get help so pat yourself on the back!
I hope you are able to find a dentist and through that dentist and this forum are able to get a great smile.
P.S In my experience most people (including me) think their teeth are worse than they are. Oh and I have a journal called "My Journey to Healthy Teeth" if you would like to read about my experience to help you :)

Hi Clifford
Do you mean that you fear dying during dental treatment or that you have a strong fear of all things to do with dentists and dental treatment as per this:

Hi Brit,

I would say a bit of both, but more of the last one! Nearly 35 and then such a wimp? Unbelievable! I had so much bad thought today that I wished I would die! Can you believe that? I'm looking for NHS dentist at the moment... what for a joy!

Hi Clifford,

I'm right where you are too. I NEED to go to the dentist. I can't put it off any longer. It's getting to the point where i just can't chew food anymore and I'm seriously affecting my own health because of it.

I havent' been to the dentist for 21 years... and I neglected my teeth pretty bad. All because I kept saying "what's the point?".... but there IS a point...

I'm scared to death and tomorrow is my consultation. JUST a consultation but I'm petrified just to open my mouth to have him look fearing that he'll tell me the worst!

Start a journal, start writing everything down, how you feel... everything you can think of. It DOES help. I'm relatively calm tonight considering because I started my own journal.

I wrote a journal bout my fear of flying .... I have now taken 15 flights since without problems. It works....

Best of luck to you and I look forward to reading how you go! :XXLhug:

Hi all,
I need to find a way to resolve my fears and to resolve my teeth problems.
I'm sure that the dentist need to extract some teeth..

Hi and welcome. We're all here for the same reason. We have a fear of dentists. I finally went to the dentist about a month ago, after 11 years and 30years of on and off going. I thought I needed several root canals, tons of extractions; I was ready to accept the fact that I would need dentures. I was shocked to find out I needed only 2 extractions and zero root canals. I didn't do it alone. My husband comes into the room and sits by my side while the dentist works on my teeth and Dr. Mike Gow (Scotland-dentist) speaks into my ear via a cd hypnosis recording he made for me which I copied on to my MP3 player. It REALLY works! I truly hope you will go to the dentist. I wish I had sooner as I've spent many decades worrying, not smiling, and wishing I had the courage. I recently attended my grandson's birthday party and for the first time in 20 years I smiled into the camera. It felt great! What a release. I'm out of that prison of fear and you will be too.

Note: Advice. DO NOT read some of the horror stories that are on this forum. It will only exacerbate your fear.
I wish you luck and success. You can do it. If I did it ANYONE can!

Mrs. Fraid E. Cat:jump:

Last edited:
Found a dentist (saying that, I only completed a form and an appointment for an check-up in two weeks’ time)... not sure if I will like him but we will see. He hasn't seen my rotten teeth yet. So hopefully will want treat me. I have to say, I know that there are many teeth which needs to go 9 to whatever!?, but I have the fear that he don't want to do it and referees me to an hospital. That would kill every conviction to sort my teeth out so long I have some left! Oh Lord, I wish I would be not such an idiot! I was always (and I’m still scared) of dentists, I would (not really, I know) die then to get my teeth back to a normal standard! Why is live so hard?

Back