• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What to eat with no teeth....

deedeeitsme

deedeeitsme

Hi there, I'm having all my teeth out on 6th September (all 28 :hidesbehindsofa:). Really scared but excited at the same time. Anyway not gonna think about that right now, I am looking for suggestions of what I can eat, don't want to starve:giggle:. I am going to be without teeth for around 6 weeks so would be glad of any ideas

Thanks x

good luck with your extractions.

rp

Thanks for your response RP. Did anyone have baby food? Not got a really sweet tooth (no pun intended) so am really struggling to think what to get in. I,ve also heard that pineapple juice helps alot with the healing process, anyone tried this? God I'm panicking right now!! Just over a week to go, time just flies by!!

I had all my teeth out a couple of weeks ago. At first I lived on Tomato soup. But with 57 variaties of soup from Heinz, you have a good sellection to choose from. In the morning, it's Ready Break. When it comes to main meal times it's diced bread, cut into little squares which are dipped or covered with soup. That really helps alot to fill that gap. The other day I had stew. If the vegatables and meat are cut very small, cooked well, they are easy to consume and the tonge can be used as a crusher against your top pallette.

Anything sloppy or that can be made sloppy will do, you'll be suprised how quickly you get annoyed with a limited diet. I think "if it's bashable, blendable, I'm eat'in it."

I didn't have any Chocolate for the two weeks because I was worried about sucking the clots from the gum lining, but the other day I had a whole bar. It was like ruddy Christmas.

Good luck. :)

Hi Colin....hope your recovery is going well. Thank you for replying to my post. Love ready brek so will be having loads of that. Yes I came to the same conclusion, heinz soups and anything you can blitz/blend lol. Can I ask did you have immediates? I,m going down the waiting 6 weeks route. Did you have the iv sedation, this is whats worrying me the most even though I have heard some great things about this. x Dee x

Hi!

I still have a LOT of teeth, but I had inflammation in the pulp of several of them that would hurt if I chewed something solid, or hurt if I chewed at all.

What really worked for me, was using a Braun 600W hand blender to mash up regular food so I didn't have to chew. Some hand blenders come with a container and a big blade that makes mashing up nearly everything easy. I found that it worked really well with fish or chicken, and veggies can also be made into really good purees that not only taste good, but are good for you. With fish or chicken: prepare them like you normally would, I like baking them in the oven, season to taste, and it will taste just as good mashed up. With veggies, you have to boil or steam them till tender. A bit of milk and butter helps them mash better, some veggies, such as fresh peas mash better if you add a little bit of dried mashed potato powder. Thyme, salt and pepper are great seasonings for green veggies.

Do not try to mash up pasta, it becomes a sticky, disgusting mass, and I never tried red meat in the blender. You'll probably not get good results with any foods where texture is important, like fried, crispy foods.

Fruit smoothies are also good if you have a blender, but I found I couldn't use one of those as a meal, I need something more substantial.

Before I discovered that, I was living on porridge, mashed potatoes and pudding. But real food makes you feel so much better.

Of course, follow the after care instructions you get when having your teeth out, but don't live for months on canned soup.

I'm better now, thanks to a very good dentist, it's really nice to be able to chew again. So that's something to look forward to for you too, and make the best of it in the mean time.

:)

Good luck!

I have no immediates. I have to wait until the 1st of November, the same 6 weeks as you I think and no, IV was an option I didn't opt for. I enjoy the thought of being aware but sometimes it's better to be oblivious to whats going on. Especially in my case.

I'm through the worse and sitting pritty. It's the waiting game and the anticipation of a wonderful smile, the one I never had anyway.

I should heal ok, as long as I have something to eat before I go to bed. I get the midnight walks and often eat bisciuts at night without recall. Sometimes I wake up with Ginger nut biscuits stuck to my back on the sofa. A few nights after haveing my teeth out I must have come down stairs, because I woke with very sore gums. Obviously from a midnight feast of Bourbons.

I was off pain killers on the fourth day and completed my antibiotic course by the sixth. I've needed no pain killers since and can handle the little throbbing easily considering the pains before.
You should be ok on IV. I heard some positive stories regarding IV. But like I say, it wasn't for me.

I wish you the very best luck Dee, although you only need to think positive. :)

Last edited:
Omg :ROFLMAO: You have made me laugh so much thinking about bourbon biscuits and ginger nuts...must tell hubby to put locks on cupboards:giggle:. The hand held blenders is a good idea and i'm sure i've got one lurking in my kitchen somewhere. Yeah I should get my new smile around the middle of october, having teeth out by a dental surgeon on the 6th september and then I go back to my regular dentist on the 13th september for her to start the ball rolling. Excited about having a nice smile (something i've never had) but so,so scared about the whole process. I WILL do this though, no backing out x Dee x

Hi again colin....just read your post from your link and I am in total awe. What a way to do it, your way! Hope I feel half as relieved as you did, I would be happy with that. I too had the option of having months of work done, going backwards and forwards to the dentist. I just could not cope with that so literally begged them to take these things out!! Fortunately my persistance worked. She did admit that even after the months of work that total extraction would not have been far in my future. Why go through the anguish and heartache of months of dental treatment when the inevitable was going to happen anyway. I too work in a customer based environment and I am not as brave as you, I will not be going to work without teeth, just can't do it:redface:. Take care and I hope your progress remains smooth x Dee x

I'm glad this question was asked because I feel the inevitable will happen... I was already told once I'll need to have them removed. But... I really don't know if I can sustain dentures. My mouth would constantly need to be numbed so I'm not continuously gagging. Implants are far too expensive. I wish I could afford that.

Anwyay... I live in Australia and our foods here are different. When I went through my 2 weeks of pain from my perio disease, i couldn't eat anything but soup. I lost 4 kilos (roughly 7lbs). I'm back to eating solids now but soft solids, cut up chicken, grilled fish, stuff like that because my teeth are loose.

I won't go to work either without teeth... just hope I have the sick time saved up:(

Hi there 45andAfraid....I am like you also, I can't even bite into a sandwich, well I probably could but feel like my teeth would fall out if I did:censored: Have you seen a dentist yet? It might not be as bad as you think:) The hardest part for me was actually making the decision to go, I pondered over this for months but it is the best decision I have ever made:jump: Well, I hope it is! I am so fed up of not smiling, laughing, being me:cry: I am not this person with the bad teeth, the person inside is a fun loving, happy person who has been hidden for years behind a tight lipped smile. I want my photograph taken and be able to look at it and say "what a great photo" instead of "get rid of that" I know it will all be worth it in the end, I am worth it;D I am terrified but also really excited to be "ME" again. x Dee x

Yes, I've been once already.... going again for another consultation but my teeth ARE loose... I can't eat bread unless I tear it with my fingers and shove it towards the side of my mouth.

I reckon the first dentist I saw didn't have the ability to really help because he is with a college and teaches, so his "out" was to tell me I'd have to go without teeth, nothing can be done.

I'm also blogging about my experience. See my siggy....
I'm only just beginning everything.... nothing's been done except him looking at my mouth.
And yes, my mouth IS bad... REALLY bad.

6 days to go now till my extractions:o can't believe how quickly it has gone. This time next week that part of my dental journey will be done then the rest begins:thumbsup: Learning to eat, speak, smile again:) Off work with a poorly hip aswell so not too good at the moment but hey, these things are sent to test us.

Hi 45andAfraid...I hope your journey goes smoothly. For me the waiting is the worst part, too much time to think:scared: Get the support of a good friend who will accompany you on your journey to a new smile, my friend is invaluable to me:XXLhug: We talk about teeth all the time, well, I talk and she listens which does help alot. Good luck x Dee x

I had all mine pulled July 2010..and was actually surprised at what all I could eat. I thought I'd be stuck with jello and pudding and yogurt...but soon discovered I could "gum" a lot of things into submission. :giggle: I did have immediate dentures though..so that helped. Scrambled eggs are good, any sort of pasta, soups of course. Ate a lot of ravioli and mac & cheese. You'll be surprised at what you can manage when you're hungry. ;)

I've put a footnote on the calender and will think happy thoughts for you on the day Dee. :)

45andAfraid - If you've been advised, then the sooner the better my friend. :thumbsup:

I like this and I'll remember it...
"You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today worrying about tomorrow!" :hmm:

Last edited:
Ah thank you Collin, I really appreciate it:-*2 days till e-day now. I am soo fed up of people saying "you'll be fine" !! How do they know, they,ve not been through this, they have got good teeth, they have looked after their teeth. OK, feeling really sorry for myself at the mo, this is all my fault not theirs, I did this to myself I know and I really don't want sympathy. I can't concentrate on anything but teeth!! I need to get things organised before my e-day but don't know what:cry: My daughter has put a parcel together for me, quilt and pillows for snuggling on the sofa, towels for when I dribble:giggle: books on my kindle to take my mind off it:) My friend is taking me shopping tomorrow for essentials, suppose I ought to make a list but really cant be bothered. Hope all is going well for all those taking this journey too x Dee x

Lots of foods left to eat that are gentle on tender gums. Soups, potatoes and soft fries, veggies cooked soft ( I like to buy the steam in bags and cook them a minute or two longer), squash is a good fresh veggie to cook to eat, eggs fried or scrambled with a bit of cheese or hard boiled, peanut butter on whatever you can tolerate, cottage cheese, refried beans with a bit of cheese and or sour cream, tamales are pretty soft, grilled fish, tuna salad, ham or chicken salad can be made easier to eat if you have something like a magic bullet to mince the meat up before you add the other ingredients, meats minced can be aded to eggs also for an omlet yum.

Ohhh thinking of you!!!! I can't wait til you report back. I'm not going in for my next consultation until the 20th. I'm already getting really nervous.

Also had a dream the other night that I had braces but they took up more room in my mouth and instead of those rubber band thingies... I had hydrolics! :o

I woke up relieved but upset at the same time.

I know how you feel.....

Thank you scared2bthere I've got a good list now of soft foods, don,t think I,ll starve anymore:)

:) 45andAfraid, hydraulic braces, nooo:o .

Well 1 day to go untill e-day:hidesbehindsofa: really want to hide away today. Scared, frightened, TERRIFIED,:sick:, excited for what comes after, god, so many emotions I feel like I'm gonna burst:) Not cried yet but I'm sure that will come:cry: Good luck with your consultation on the 20th, is someone going with you? It really does help if you take someone, I couldn't have done this on my own:redface: x Dee x

p.s I,ll post back as soon as I feel able :censored:

Oh most definitely someone and someTHING is coming with me. My partner is my rock right now. And I'm taking a stuffy with me... a little green tree frog stuffy to squeeze!! :)

Yeah, hydrolics... I know! :giggle:
Dreams hey? LOL!!!

Back