• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What to eat with no teeth....

Hi everyone! I just found this spot today (Friday). Had 22 teeth extracted on Monday with IV sedation and immediate dentures placed about an hour after extractions. Had to leave dentures in until Wednesday morning (their instructions). Was scared taking them out for the first time, but all went well. Bottoms are really sore and thinking about the DIY filing myself to make them feel better. I don't have to go back for 3 months. Then I get them relined. Then I go back in a year and get my permanent dentures.
I hate the feel of the dentures on my hard palate, they feel too thick. Today I have had them out resting my poor sore gums and jaws.
I requested my appointment to have this work done and then had to wait about 3 weeks before hearing anything back from them. Of course, I made several more calls before I got a call back. Then was shocked that my appointment would be so soon. Was scared to death of what was to come, couldn't sleep the night before the appointment. Had to be there at 6am.
They did x-ray and consult. Tried to talk me into partials on the bottom and I refused. Next impressions were made and the coldness of the goop really hurt my teeth on the top. Then came the sit and wait for my turn in the chair. Really aggravating as I was the first person in the door and a man jumped ahead of me. BUT, I was the next to last person that they worked with that day. Finally was put in the chair around 1pm. Extractions took about 45 minutes. Then another sit and wait. Was really a funny time as I was loopy from the sedation. Then immediate dentures were placed and my daughter cried with happiness seeing me smile for the first time in a long time showing my teeth.
Yes, she took pictures. We also took before pictures, which I hate.
My advice to anyone considering undertaking this is......GO FOR IT!
On the way home afterward I had my daughter stop and get a large sweet iced tea for me to drink. It was HEAVEN drinking the ice cold drink and not feeling the pain from the cold. And I agree with everyone, the fixadent adhesive is yucky when taking the dentures out.
Since reading through all of the postings, I will be trying the blender since I'm tired of soups, mashed potatoes, oatmeal and pudding.

DON'T wait another day if you need this done!

Hey, FayeR! I've been in the same place as you! When you want to try solid food, I do recommend things like broccoli and cauliflower, and boiled potatoes. These are solid, so they feel a bit more filling. What I did was sort of mash them against the roof of my mouth with my tongue (make sure they are cooked fairly soft!). While I didn't chew them as well as I would have with teeth, I got used to it soon enough and it was a relief to have solid food with my meals. Mince is a good soft thing to have with veggies too!

Good luck!

Hi FayeR :welcome:to the forum.

Congratulation on having this done :jump::jump::jump:

Having all of mine extracted on the 1st of September, and will be without for about a month...this post was extremely helpful, thanks.

Hey ya'll. Just went through the terrifying process of having all my teeth removed so that I can get dentures. I had surgery Thurs. Oct 8 and now I am very swollen having pain, but staying on top of meds and now I just trying to find enough stuff to eat. I think now that the surgery is over I'm more terrified that I won't be able to get my dentures anytime soon. I am a teacher's aide and I need to talk a lot as well as be understood. I am feeling pretty low at the moment.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

It is a big thing you have just done and you will feel down and a little shell shocked for a while. From what I have read by other people that have had their teeth removed it is amazing at how quickly they get used to the changes in their mouth.

If you click on the links provided above by me you will find plenty to eat with no teeth. There are plenty of success stories on here that it might help you to read through. Happy healing and I hope you get your new dentures soon :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back