• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

wisdom tooth out on friday, terrified!

P

problmatic

hello board, i'm so terrified about this whole wisdom tooth thing. i didn't even know it was there until this weekend my cheek felt like i had bit it. i rubbed my finger on the side of my teeth to find... a whole other tooth!! a molar, but yet the molar was facing out towards my cheek rubbing on the skin there. i was horrified.

i have an xray that was taken last year and it showed i had two upper wisdom teeth but they were not erupted. facing many other medical difficulties and no health insurance (i'm in the US) i didn't have the financial means to have such an expensive operation. well, it finally erupted i suppose is the term.

i called a dentist, going in on friday, they said they put me down for extraction but naturally will give me a look over and fresh x-ray when i get there. so so terrified. i can't afford anything but a local, so i'm hoping that's enough. it's in my upper jaw, through the gum and facing towards my cheek, ouch! can anyone calm my fears, all i ever hear from people is horror stories. i'm 30 and i have never had any tooth problems, so this will be my first major procedure. help! thanks everyone!

nervous in pittsburgh:o

I had 4 impacted wisdoms plus 3 others pulled. they put me out for that so I honeslty can't say how they'll do it for you. Took 45 minutes....

I haven't been back since but because I can't take foreign objects in my mouth or too close to my mouth before I feel like gagging... :( But from what I hear, technology these days is far better than they were 20 years ago... especially for you since you're in the states. I live in Australia.... dentist are far and few and way too expensive so for about 3/4's of the population, Australia has a lot of "bad teeth" people.... :censored:

Try not to fear, bring a supportive friend if you have to.

Hey
There three things your dentist shold do in order to avoid pain:
1- give you enough local anesthetic. The safety limit is very high, it is better to give more than less.
2- wait enough for so that the anesthetics has a full effect. How long depends on the tooth and the situation. It should be at least five minutes.
3- if you feel pain or uncomfort tell it to your dentist, and he or she must stop and help you to ease what you felt.

good luck. :)

Hey
There three things your dentist shold do in order to avoid pain:
1- give you enough local anesthetic. The safety limit is very high, it is better to give more than less.
2- wait enough for so that the anesthetics has a full effect. How long depends on the tooth and the situation. It should be at least five minutes.
3- if you feel pain or uncomfort tell it to your dentist, and he or she must stop and help you to ease what you felt.

good luck. :)

thank you. i actually got the appointment bumped up to tomorrow. super scared but we'll see how this goes.

new to terms, what's an impacted wisdom tooth? i think mine erupted...

i wasn't sure what impacted wisdom really means? does that mean it is not visible, under the gum? i have a wisdom tooth, i can feel the whole surface of the molar and it's out, just facing my cheek and causing me pain. :(

appointment tomorrow for extraction, is that an easy one to do? upper jaw. thanks all.

Re: new to terms, what's an impacted wisdom tooth? i think mine erupted...

OK here is a real basic from my layman's (nurse) understanding. Impacted is stuck in the jaw bone- not erupted, maybe partially visible or not at all. Upper is easier than lower (bone is less dense) sinus can be an issue on top- nerve can be an issue on the bottom. X-rays give pretty good warning of either.

Best wishes for an easy extraction and quick recovery.

rp

thanks i appreciate it! nervous as heck here just want this over with. :)

You'll do great..........

rp

You'll do great..........

rp

thanks! i leave in two hours to get this done> :)

leaving in about an hour for my first wisdom tooth extraction ever!

super scared but this needs to be done. my upper wisdom has erupted and is pointing towards my cheek. i'm only getting a local, can't afford anything else. wow i'm super scared, i hope this goes well... please keep me in your thoughts. hate to be a wuss, just never went through this before.

Re: leaving in about an hour for my first wisdom tooth extraction ever!

Good luck, thinking of you!!

Good luck, thinking of you!!

thank you, i am shaking and i'm not even there yet. lol

30 years old, first wisdom extraction ever, i did it!!

i was terrified, just so so scared. i couldn't afford anything but a local. my upper wisdoms had erupted and were pushing into my cheek. i was petrified. i'm 30 never had a cavity, braces, nothing. so yes i consider myself lucky, though the pain from these wisdoms was too much for me to handle. i sought help and after scraping some savings up i made the appointment.

i was nervous as all heck. got there, the staff was nice, i paid for my services and sat in the waiting room. they called me back. my heart dropped but i remained cool. the assistant, talked to me, for a few minutes, and she shot me twice in the gum and one in the roof of my mouth each side. they barely waited 2 minutes, the oral surgeon came in said open your mouth wide and lean towards him. boom, boom! done!

seriously all the worry was for nothing. here i am an hour after the procedure, gauze in my mouth and putting ice packs on my face. i'm so glad this is over and honestly it really was NOTHING to worry about! be strong, if i can do it, you can!! i'm sorry to even celebrate but i felt so strong today and i made it! i did it, after letting these teeth bug me for 6+ years!

you can do it!:jump:

:grouphug:

Last edited:
Re: 30 years old, first wisdom extraction ever, i did it!!

Told ya :giggle:

great job!

rp

Re: 30 years old, first wisdom extraction ever, i did it!!

Told ya :giggle:

great job!

rp

you were totally right. it was so simple i feel so stupid now for even worrying about, should have had them yanked years ago! good feeling having them gone!

How did it go.?
Did you go.?

actually yes i did. was totally nervous but it was done super quick. had three shots of novocaine about 2 minutes of numbing and it came right out. been about 7 hours since my appointment and i'm enjoying some pudding, no swelling minimal pain. :):jump:

Congratulations :jump:

Enjoy your pudd'in. Dam quick reply too. ;D

Congratulations :jump:

Enjoy your pudd'in. Dam quick reply too. ;D

thanks! i even put whipped cream on it to celebrate! lol i'm a computer junkie i'm always online, i'm so excited to sleep tonight though without worry and the pressure and pain from my tooth. here's to bright skies ahead! *toasts with pudding cup* :)

going to merge posts so readers can follow the story - kinda what the rules say anyway :innocent:

Back