• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I chickened out again..

K

Kimi

I was supposed to go for my dentist appointment today to have my messed-up tooth sorted out, but I ended up on the floor in hysterics again..
They tried to give me Diazepam to calm it down, and it probably just emphasized the fear even more. I've never been so ashamed of myself in all my life. I've wrecked so many relationships now that I don't even deserve to have any bloody family left.

The doctor's trying to give me something else, but I don't know the name of it yet. He says it helps with his phobia of flying, but obviously I don't even see mildly parallel how a plane is similar to having a stranger forcing things down your throat and not caring about the pain you're in. I'm just at my life's end now, and I'm just praying to anything that will listen for these new drugs to just put me in a coma. If anything, at least I won't know what's happened. Tomorrow i'm going on holiday, and my shame is just ruining all the excitement for me. I feel like a prick. I should've let the dentist go ahead with that hideous pain so I wouldn't worry and cry about it ever again, but I'm just such a pathetic freak I couldn't do it...
I refused to go, before packing and being convinced I was going on my own, walking, not bringing my mother, before wanting her with me.. I ended up in a heap on the room's floor. I think the Diazepam's still messing with me, but I'm just so confused and scared that I need to scream on here to get it all out.

I'm having it next time, no matter what. And then I will never go back to a dentist again. Ever. I wish I could crawl into the success story of this forum, but I'm just a lost cause. My dentist has ruined me enough.. :cry:

Well, thanks for listening to the ramble. See you all again when I get it done, unless I'm in jail for killing the dentist. :)

I wouldn't advise you kill your dentist. Well, maybe rough them up a little. :censored:

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Owe, that shame will fade after X amount of recalls, believe me.

He says it helps with his phobia of flying, but obviously I don't even see mildly parallel how a plane is similar to having a stranger forcing things down your throat and not caring about the pain you're in.

Your dentist sounds quite caring to me. I'd just like to challenge this whole pain notion. If you could be guaranteed no pain during treatment and a stop signal and the ability to take a break whenever you wanted, could you accept treatment with just (comfortably delivered) local anaesthetic?

If actual treatment is painful (beyond a couple of pinpricks - and even these aren't necessary) you are not getting the best pain-free care available.
So maybe mild oral sedation is not the best method for you?