• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why oh why do wisdom teeth even exist?!

L

Liverbird

*sigh*

So Spring of 2010, I looked in the mirror and saw that I had the first cavity of my adult life. For the first time in years I went to the dentist for a cleaning and to get my cavity filled. During that visit, my dentist said that my jaw was probably too small to accommodate my wisdom teeth and they might need to be taken out when they come in.

Since then, my upper left wisdom tooth has come in without any problems, the two on the right still haven't erupted, and the bottom left is coming in at an angle. The bottom left one is the one I'm terrified is having complications. It's coming in at a funny angle, so occasionally food gets stuck there, but I try my best to clean it with a toothpick, toothbrush, rinsing regularly and (more recently) mouthwash. Still, I looked at it recently and it seems to be decaying? I think the tooth is discoloring... It doesn't hurt... yet... but I'm so scared to go to the dentist in case I need to get it removed... :cry: I have panic attacks. I got a very large cavity filled at the beginning of August, and when my dentist showed me the cavity in the mirror, after drilling the tooth and before filling it, I quite literally nearly passed out. I can't imagine how I'll survive getting an impacted or whatever wisdom tooth extracted. I'm so worried. I'm giving myself an anxiety headache and I haven't even scheduled an appointment yet... I'm so so so so scared. :cry::cry::cry:

I have a seemingly high tolerance for pain (my massive cavity was filled without any numbing/anasthetic), but it's just the anxiety of it all, the fear of complications, etc, that's getting to me. Also I'm afraid that because of the way my tooth has come in, it'll require a more painful procedure to take out.

Also, I'm young, but I have a bit of high blood pressure, and when I get panicky it skyrockets like you wouldn't believe. I heard there can be complications if this procedure is done on someone with high bp?

Ahhh, I'm just so scared. Has anyone had wisdom teeth that are coming in at angles removed? Is it a very difficult process? Is it very painful afterwards??

You can have your wizzies done under GA in hospital in UK. Go to dentist and get yourself on the waiting list, it could be months away.Don't wait till the pain is severe.
The procedure under GA is a breeze but the recovery afterwards varies a lot from person to person as you would expect. Many people say it is easier than they were previously led to believe by other 'friends' / people who delight in telling horror stories.

It would not be possible or ethical to do tooth removal without local anaesthetic if you were going just the local route. I would also advise you to opt for local for all potentially painful treatmentn as even if you don't think pain is the issue for you, you'd be pretty strange if you enjoyed dental pain, so knowing treatment will hurt(without local) is bound to make you tend to avoid appointments - even check ups - which you are doing now.

It is very common for younger people to be fine and only start avoiding dental care when warned their wisdom teeth may need to be extracted. Remember in UK especially it is only done when there are issues not 'just in case' (more common in USA) and you do have control. The dentist can recommend extraction but would likely refer you to an oral surgeon/NHS hospital and there would be no urgency unless you were in severe pain.

View it as somethng you elect to do for your benefit and avoid suffering(gum issues etc) rather than sth 'you have to have done'.
Ask the dentist what they would do it it were their teeth as this will usually produce sound advice.

If you really are in Liverpool and want a sympathetic (apparently painfree) dentist, you could do worse than give Andy Healy a try, although don't expect him to do work without LA!

Last edited:
Yes, it can vary from person to person. I'm one who can tolerate pain, I can tolerate needles... doesn't bother me at all. What I cannot tolerate is gagging!!!!

I had 4 badly impacted wisdom teeth removed, 2 baby eyeteeth and 1 molar removed in one visit. They definitely had to knock me out for it. I woke up 45 minutes later with a hand full of gauze but they stitched me up good enough that I was fine. Stitches dissolved by themselves after about a week.

I had a bit of swelling but nothing huge and I played softball the next day. So in essence 7 teeth pulled in one sitting was fine for me. So yes it varies from person to person.

Good luck!!

^^Oh thank you, but I'm actually in the US! Just an avid Liverpool Football Club fan xD

^Thank you, that does help. I will set up an appointment to get everything checked out...

Back