• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Part of tooth fell out, then the filling, now in agony.

P

phnuggle

Hey guys, about a year 1/2 ago I got a filling on one of my molars that my dentist said was a pretty big filling and I might need a root canal on it at some point but she was happy to try just a filling first. Things were fine until 2 weeks ago when part of the tooth around the filling fell out when I was eating. I freaked out at first but I wasn't in any pain at all and planned to book an appointment with her to see what to do about it.

Basically I didn't get around to going to see her, mostly due to laziness, fear of dentist, and the fact I wasn't in any discomfort at all. Until 4 days ago when I was eating popcorn in the cinema and from what it seems, most of the filling has fallen out now also, leaving about half of the tooth. This again didn't hurt but I planned to book and appointment with her.

Same story, didn't bother, told myself I'd be okay for a while. Early yesterday evening my tooth started to give a massive dull ache which has got worse overnight to the point that I'm sitting on my laptop here at 7am having not slept a wink. So depressing and so painful. I realise I need treatment ASAP but am petrified of it/what she will say to me. Also just out of uni and looking for work so payment will be an issue too.

Grim times. Clean your teeth guys. :shame:

Sounds like root canal if it can be saved or extraction. Don't wait too long most likely the tooth is abscessed/infected.

Dentists don't really chastise or shouldn't anymore.

rp

Sounds like root canal if it can be saved or extraction. Don't wait too long most likely the tooth is abscessed/infected.

Dentists don't really chastise or shouldn't anymore.

rp

Yeah basically within an hour of posting this I decided I was literally going to go mad with the pain. I phoned up the dentist and luckily got an appointment for this morning. She basically said that a root canal wouldn't have a great chance of success due to how little tooth was left and we decided just to yank it out. Did it there and then too, which was nice.

Quick question, I got a large amount of anaesthetic and my teeth all feel a bit uncomfortable, is that normal?

Hey, phnuggle, you're not the only one, I had a filling fall out of a bottom molar at least two summers ago (might well have been three) but it didn't hurt, so I just ate potentially risky things like nuts and toffees with the other side of my mouth. Didn't drag myself to a dentist till part of the side of the tooth fell out earlier this year. He just rolled his eyes heavenwards, shook his head and smiled. As rp says, they don't seem to go in for the lecturing these days. I got away with £45-worth of filling (think it's £47 now though) so you may get away with less than you think. The filling didn't hurt at all, though there was a bit of pain from it that evening, but that went off overnight. Why do we do this to ourselves? Best of luck!

Your update just came up after I'd posted! Glad you got sorted out so quickly. Hope it heals up quickly for you too.

Back