• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain killers for wisdom teeth pushing in?

G

Former Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can take for the toothache/gum pain in my mouth? My wisdom teeth are FORCEFULLY pushing themselves in and the pain is awful! I've tried taking up to 4 ibuprofin at a time but it does nothing.

You could try Tylenol with codeine (which for some people seems to work better for certain types of toothache than ibuprofen, esp. if no infection is involved). Make sure to read the label for contraindications and maximum safe doses (and length of time the medication can safely be taken).

If this doesn't work, the best idea would be to ask your dentist or physician for advice. You may want to do that anyway :).

the best ever pain relief i have found and trust me i have tryed loads is nurofen plus and Anbesol liquid a combination of both takes the pain away instantly :respect:

I take extra strength tylenol for really bad pain. 2 tablets is 1000mg of pain relief. The ones with codeine (Tylenol-3) is not available without a perscription. Atleast not in Canada.

Please be careful - that dose is too high. The oral dose for adults is 325 to 650 mg every 4-6 hours. The maximum daily dose is 4 grams.

It states right on the bottle that adults can take 2 tablets every 6 hours. I have discussed this with my doctor and dentist. As I am not on any other kind of medication (perscription or OTC) and it only takes 2 tablets to make me pretty comfortable for the whole day, they both have given me the go ahead provided that I eat properly and dont consume any alcohol on the days I decide to take the Tylenol. I dont need them everyday. Thankfully only some days are very painful from my wisdom teeth. I try my best to get through it pill free since I'm not a big fan of taking pills in general.

Luxuria said:
It states right on the bottle that adults can take 2 tablets every 6 hours.

You're right, different sources appear to state different maximum single doses (1000mg being the highest). I'm always a bit worried when painkillers are recommended on this board. Especially with Tylenol (aka Paracetamol, generic name acetaminophen), because it is the leading cause of liver failure. The problem is that, while the 4000mg per day limit is safe for most people, a doubling of that dose can cause fatal liver failure. Also, alcohol consumption will lower the safe dose, and in addition, not everyone is aware that cold and flu medicines can also contain acetaminophen. So accidental overdoses are more likely with this drug than with other painkillers.

Guess I'm just being ultra-careful here... :)

Oh, I agree with you letsconnect! You do need to be careful when it comes to pain meds of any kind. Like I said, I'm not a fan of taking pills so I must make sure I do everything humanly possible to avoid a reaction or OD, etc. As far as cold meds go...nah, I stay away from those. :)

I forgot to mention too that I get very bad headaches at times, almost migraine but I told my doctor that I did't want to take a perscription drug for that unless I absolutely needed to so he suggested the extra strength Tylenol which so far works when I need them for the headaches. He suggested the same thing for my teeth. I do try my best to handle the discomfort as much as I can without the pills due to the higher risk of liver damage with the pain meds. I only bring out the Tylenol when I really need it. Also, I have asthma so I have been told to stay away from Asperin and Advil as they can bring on symptoms. :o

Luxuria said:
I take extra strength tylenol for really bad pain. 2 tablets is 1000mg of pain relief. The ones with codeine (Tylenol-3) is not available without a perscription. Atleast not in Canada.

Tylenol 3 is not available OTC here but you CAN get Tylenol 1.... which have 8mg of codiene and 325mg of acetaminophen. You can take 2 at a time (as per the bottle) You do have to ask for it though from the pharmacist. They don't keep it out on the shelf, but you do not need a scrip for it. (I am in Canada also)

Back