• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Aftermath of tooth loss...

Camisa

Camisa

I'm beginning to think that my story is not a "success" story at all. While I had "success" at removing the unsalvagable teeth in my mouth, and filling what few I have left..... I ultimately failed in my long-term dental health and aesthetics of my face.My face is shortened, collapsing in on itself and I'm looking pretty aged. My jawline is almost non-existent. I had a weak jaw / narrow jawline even prior to not losing teeth...now it's like my neck goes into my face. I am 24 years old.

Since being unable to recognize myself in the mirror I have been having a raging war inside myself. Hopelessness, insecurity, fear of speaking or even looking at other people for what they probably think of me.

I'm getting fitted for a partial denture on Friday, but the incompetent, State-funded dental practice should have done this last year. They "forgot." Not like it matter sanyway, a partial denture will only increase my risk for tooth decay for remaining teeth and speed up the process of bone shrinkage anyway....

I can't believe I'm only 24 years old and I've horribly disfigured my face.. I dont want to leave my house.. I can't look in any mirrors (considering taking all mirrors in my house down) I am disfigured, aged beyond my years, living in poverty, I just can't live with myself :cry:

Last edited:
You need some "cheering up", don't you.
I am an eternal optimist, much to some people's distress, so I'm inclined to want to spew out all of the "lemons to lemonade" platitudes...but I won't. You are a very intelligent and insightful lady (I remember all of your prior threads), so you already know them. Your soul is hurting right now, and only you can find the reasons to keep going forward. But please know that SO many folks here will try and help, especially me.
And I hope some of the dental pros chime in about the options you may have for improving your jawline.
Don't give up, Camisa.

*hugs* Thank you mghstl. Your zest has always been an inspriation to me. Don't ever lose that.

I guess for so long I was just so happy not have a mouth full of gross, painful, grossness... that I didn't care what the consequences were. Now I see that it doesn't stop there. For the first time ever in my life, I can say I have no cavities. But at what cost?!?!
Should I have left them in??
I would still have a jawline if I did!
it seems my only option is to get implants, and I can't afford those. I wish there was something I could do about my jaw. :cry: but I don't think there is. Once again... hopeless...

I really lost it today when I found an article on Google today... I thought maybe partials/dentures would HELP with the bone aesthetics, but apparently, just the opposite...? and to add insult to injury, my front teeth already jut out. I'd like to get veneers, but that won't give me back the structure to my face.... I feel like I'm such a circus freak.... I wish I could just give up!

I feel like sometimes I have to whine and complain to get a response here :redface:

YES MA'AM!!!!
It's so hard wanting to hear back from people here. I used to logged in and out/in and out/in and out, praying that certain people would do the same and RESPOND to my fussing.
I'm here because I feel like I know you...and I'll keep being here for you...but I've seen other posters write about "throwing in the towel", and it's SCARY to talk to them. I worry about saying the wrong thing, so I don't say anything. You are exceptional, so give it some time...you'll get responses.
'Til then, I am here from you. Your stamina is remarkable, and I know you'll get thru this tough time.
I remember you posting ?'s about "someone else"...is this part of why you are feeling so down? You can PM me if you'd rather not go there.
I promise...I'll listen to it all.

Hi Camisa

Obviously I have know idea what you looked like before or now however I expect people that do don't really notice any difference, they look at you as a person, as a whole, not focus on your face - a bit like the spot on your chin, you think it looks like a crater because when you look in the mirror that spot is all you focus on.

I was almost 50 before I had no choice other than to sort out my mouth .... and therefore my health as I had recurring abbesses that were eating away at my jaw. I had spent all my life in fear and in pain, not being able to eat, sleep or smile. All the milestones in my life, engagement, wedding, children all passed by with very, very few photos of me in them because I wouldn't smile.

Since I started my journey, had my 13 teeth removed and a contraption on my head to pull back my lower jaw my face has changed too. However, I can now eat, sleep, smile and, most importantly of all, I am living my life pain free.

Wait until you have your partial dentures, I am sure they will 'fill' your face out - can only think of my Nan with or without her teeth, she looked totally different.

DO NOT give up ...... You are only 24, you are (no doubt, in spite of what you say) attractive, you are articulate, caring and a generally nice person who has their whole life ahead of them :)
Also, situations and technology change all the time, you never know what will be available in the future.

Keep the mirrors and each time you look in them congratulate yourself on being healthy

:)

Hey
The partial dentures have couple of advantages, two of them are very relevant for you:
1) Within a short time you will regain teh support for the cheeks and lips
2) It is a conservative treatment (the dentist does not remove much enamel) and it allows you in the future to check other options, like implants.
The partial denture increase indeed the risk for caries, but with good oral hygiene and regular check-ups you should be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
love you all.
Please advise.

First - let me tell you what happened. when I was given impressions for the partial that Friday the dental assistantshad a very hard time with my gag reflex. (Funny, I never gagged with dentists I trusted). The assistants were very impatient and rude, despite my warnings that their trays were entirely too big, they assumed I was ust being a drama queen as per usual. at one point the D.A. grabbed a big buff guy to hold the upper tray in my mouth while holding my head back. When I began to vomit I tried to pry his arm off me but he was too strong. I'm like 100lbs.
When the gagging didn't stop because the trays were too big, I began to aspire my own vomit. They still wouldn't release their hand from my mouth. I pulled it out finally and made a mess. Had to pick the goo out of my throat as it hardened on my palate, still gagging me. I started to cry.
The male dental assistant gave me a mirror and told me to look at myself, I was acting pathetic. He then gave me a tissue, told me to clean myself up. Walked away.

The newbie dentist came in - I met her on August 17th 2011 at my cleaning and she said that I had no cavities. Gave me a clean bill of dental health and I didn't give her any "trouble."

so on this day in September, she shaved down a tray for me and it fit so well I didn't even come close to gagging and got my impressions.

But unfortunately her attitude was not great either. After I was done crying, she scoffed and said, "By the way, you have a cavity too."
I said, "Are you sure it's not just a stain?" she insisted it was a cavity.

I am having trouble belieiving that I developed a cavity between August 17th, 2011 and September 2011. just somehow went from healthy teeth to new cavity in a month.

They've diagnosed me with cavities before that ended up being stains. SOOOO I went to the pricey private practice place and paid out my a$$ for them to examine my teeth with an explorer. (This pricey private practice place sealed off a previous stain that my ghetto dentist misdiagnosed as a cavity). This dentist said that, whatta ya know, it was just another stain and not a cavity, again, that his explorer was not sticking to it. Said that everyone gets some staining in the pits and fissures of their teeth. Told me he was glad I sought out the second opinion. again.

This pricey dentist also told me that my partial denture will not only injure my remaining teeth but it will also cause my jaw to resorb more rapidly. He recommends an implant. WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW? I can't afford an implant.

So I'm sitting here, traumatized, confused. Can't afford to go anywhere other than this ghetto dental place that wrecked my mouth.

Wondering... which dentist should I trust about the "cavity."

What to do?

Help.

Thank you for the caring replies and not just some one liner telling me to suck it up!

I love you guys.

Last edited:
I'm beyond appalled.
I really have to wonder if a dental school might not be an answer.
You can't let the situation go untreated, but you can't subject yourself to systematic abuse.
Wish I could offer more than my sincere best wishes.
You are a brave, brave girl.

*hugs mghstl* Don't worry, I'm so used to their awful practices that it doesn't traumatize me *as much* as it used to :(

The nearest dental school is several hours away, or I'd seek out their opinion. I'd love to have several dental professionals to look at these tea colored pits and fissures in my teeth and try to figure out if it's a stain or a cavity. Cause I'd really love to know!

I took out a discount plan called Careington & my pricey dentist accepts it - I usually get a 40% discount on their procedures, but he's got a new guy working for him and I don't trust this new guy. He's always pushing me off onto the new guy.
*sigh* not to mention their prices are far beyond the "normal" price. Even with my discount card, I'm still going to be paying a lot of money.

Do any of you think that asking my pricey dentist to remove the "stains" would be such a bad idea? I mean, at least I'll let him near me, it'd put my mind at ease and at least I'll *know* that stain or cavity, it's gone.
:confused:

Why the heck are you being restrained during an impression?
Do a quality partial denture with the guy you trust and save for an implant-supported option in the future.
Do not go back to the place that restrained you and said staining was a cavity - they should have a complaint filed against them on multiple counts it seems.
You have to think your dentist has your best interest at heart (even if within the constraints of your budget). To go along when you think otherwise, is opening yourself to abuse.

Since you understandably vomited during it, I don't see how they could use that impression to make a partial anyway.

Camisa - it sounds like you've had an awful time. Try not to let it get you down.
A big vitural hug to you.:hug2:

Last edited:
Don't go back Camisa :o

They cannot behave like that, brit is right, it's abuse...... search for a proper dentist who will treat you professionally and with understanding

:)