• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fillings without Novacaine

N

Nicky201415

I have been reading up on this for a little while now. Novacaine is not appealing to me at all, the needle, the feeling afterwards, the possible side effects. So I had read that getting fillings done without novacaine isn't that bad at all, that it's more of a mind over matter thing, and that a few seconds of discomfort would be bearable compared to hours waiting for the novaine to wear off.

But the things I have read are really split, what do you guys think? Has anyone had fillings without novacaine? How long does the actual drilling part last anyway, as I'm assuming that would be the most painful part.

I would say that many dentists have a few patients that prefer treatment without anesthesia. It is a matter of pain tolerance. Some people can tolerate rather invasive and long procedures but most are unable to tolerate any tooth treatment pain. This site is composed of members who in general prefer to minimize their dental pain so you are asking the wrong group.

You could always ask your dentist to try without anesthesia and see what's it like then if if bothers you then the anesthesia will be better for you.

I had a small filling done once without being numbed, come to think of it, I may have had two. I had one when I was pretty young, had to be under 12. I refused it due to fear of the needle. The second time, they gave me the laughing gas, it did nothing for me, they filled the tooth anyway. I survived it, but they didn't let me walk out at the end until I'd returned to a normal color and didn't look like I was about to pass out. I don't remember it lasting long, and I do think the drilling was the worst part. I have a pretty high pain tolerance (clearly) and I would not recommend anyone do this. Mine will be numbed tomorrow, and I'll just panic my way through it.

Also, novocaine is no longer used in dentistry so if your research is regarding the side effects of novocaine, you can rest easy knowing that it will not be used at your dentist's office. :)

Hey
If the numb feeling is difficult, the dentist can use anestheisa solution which dissolve quickly, or to use a numbing technique that numbs only a specific tooth and not a wider area.

Back