• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

so scared I feel sick

I

ifeelsick

I am so terrified of going to the dentist that just reading this forum is making me feel sick. I think I can only read through this forum in small doses to give my body a break from the unhealthy stress.

I have a very small mouth that dentists find hard to work with. One of my former dentists years ago forced my jaw open with a bite block and since that time my jaw cracks all day long annoying everyone around me. I also had a dentist do a procedure on me with no anesthetic (it was either an onlay or a crown on a very live tooth) and when he blew air on the tooth I screamed and almost jumped out of the chair, and instead of giving me a shot he just laughed. Every other dentist I've been to has numbed me for a similar procedure.

Anyway, I've since decided not to just sit there while dentists inflict pain on me or injure me, but I'm afraid I've gone overboard and am now afraid of all dentists for the pain and injury they could potentially inflict.

I am very afraid of dental cleanings. I have terrible gum recession and I dread the particular type of pain from having my exposed roots scraped and blasted with cold water and especially the unpredictability of it. I feel like there is no way for me to stop my gum recession as I am a ferocious grinder, sometimes waking up with bits of porcelain crown in my mouth. I can't wear a nightguard because I'm an insomniac and can't fall asleep with something in my mouth. Instead I will be tossing and turning for seven hours.

I don't know whether I should see a dentist to have my cavities filled and just refuse to let them clean my teeth, or if I should ask for sedation. I feel like it would be hard to explain to a dentist why I want to be sedated for a cleaning when most of them probably consider it a painless procedure. I am torn between feeling like an idiot asking for sedation or refusing to have my teeth cleaned and genuinely being so terrified of going to the dentist that I feel sick just thinking about it. It's almost easier to have my teeth slowly rot and my gums recede until all my teeth fall out than to deal with the intense fear and accompanying physical symptoms from going to the dentist.

Small Mouth.jpgThis is her maximum opening! This is a picture of a patient that was referred from a pediatric dentist. She was referred to a pediatric dentist by a general dentist and then to me. My point is that pediatric dentists may be a good source of referral for some special patients. I did a crown on her last molar. It was difficult but with some sedation and patience on our parts( hers and mine) we got it done. I can't do everything on her but she is comfortable knowing that all that is possible will be done.
You need to work on finding the right dentist to work with you and it might take some time.

Hi, I'd ask around and try to find a dentist who works well with children. I'm slightly built and have a small mouth (though my husband says you'd never think so, the amount of talking and eating it does!) but our dentist is so good with children he can cope with me too! I've also found things have changed from years ago. You don't have to "sit there while dentists inflict pain on you". Ours uses a "stop signal" and I know he watches for it. The new modern technology seems to have taken a lot of the pain out of things like cleaning and fillings too. Are you in the UK? Maybe someone here could recommend a dentist in your area. I'm no expert but probably teeth wouldn't just obligingly fall out...they'd probably abscess? Having had bad past experiences as a child, I do so sympathise with you...hope you can find the help you need. xx

You remind me of ... well, me! At least a few years ago! I completely get where you're coming from and feeling "at the mercy" of the dentist is an awful feeling.

My advice would be to first find a dentist who you're completely comfortable with. All dentists should be happy to offer a consultation. Try your best to explain your fears - there's no need to feel like an idiot by admitting that to them ... they hear it all the time. If the dentist isn't willing to listen or work with you, then walk away! YOU are in control and any good dentist should be falling over themselves to make you feel that way.

The "stop signal" is a great tool if you're uncomfortable at any point. My dentist stops work if I so much as shift in the chair or clear my throat and asks if I'm alright. It takes a little longer to get through the procedures, but is well worth the while just to give me a minute to gather myself again ;)

I can say from experience that letting teeth decay and rot to the point of abscess and infection is not a good idea. Been there, tried that, and ended up with so many more problems and procedures than if I'd just had a few simple cavities filled some years ago.

Good luck - you can do it! :)

Thanks for the replies and reading my looonnnggg original rambling post. I am worried about a tooth that has so much gum recession that I just figure it's eventually going to fall out (because no gum to hold it in place?). It's extremely sensitive at the gumline and it's hard to brush it. Is Sensodyne the only thing I can use for this?

Anyone else with gum recession have a good pain-free way to clean their teeth? I was thinking of trying Periogen and not having dental cleanings at all. It seems a bit much to numb my entire mouth. Is anyone else protective of their gum recession? I can't help thinking there must be a better way of cleaning exposed roots than scraping them and blasting with cold water.

Anyone have a referral in the Berlin area? Btw, my German sucks really bad. I guess I could fly to the UK.

You can get numbed up for dental cleaning too. It is sensible to do so if the receded areas are sensitive to cold etc.

Our German dentist finder is sparse to say the least.

Last edited:
Back