• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need help.

F

FizzyLizzie

I'm 16 years old and absolutely terrified to brush my teeth. The bristles hurt my gums and the toothpaste and mouthwash burn the inside of my mouth and literally leave me in tears. I also have a fear of the feeling and sound of people brushing their teeth, including myself; it gives me goosebumps and makes me nauseous. I don't know what to do. :cry:

First off, get a softer toothbrush (this should also make the sound less harsh ! ) Try using less toothpaste or a different flavour, and either lay off the mouthwash or try diluting it a bit. Be gentle on yourself, don't go at it like a bull in a china shop. Be sure to rinse with plenty of clean water to kill the flavour(s).

I used to hate doing mine, my Mum used to buy that Gibbs Dentifrice stuff that came as a hard block - you had to scrub it with your wet toothbrush in order to get enough to clean your teeth. It was 'orrible ! :censored:

John

Or a smaller Toothbrush.

Dave.:)

Biffo is right get a soft brush and only use a soft brush. If you don't like your current toothpaste buy a different one until you find one that is okay with you. As to mouthwash just don't use it instead just brush, take your time don't scrub hard at all (does no good anyway), and floss your teeth.

Back