• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal; immense anxiety; will the dentist stop if I ask

S

star2sparkle

Hi everyone

I would be really grateful if someone could answer this question :)
I have had a dental phobia for a very long time and I also suffer from anxiety and agoraphobia. Just going to the dentist is a big thing for me and I went for a check up and struggled with panic. I need to have a root canal done (yikes!) and as I have a fear of losing control and all that jazz, I will be taking valium only.
I did go to the dentist a few years ago and had to build up to it very gradually; my teeth at the front were black and I couldn't smile at all. I felt so ashamed. I still do, as I have some teeth missing and my teeth still don't look great sadly, so I hide my smile.
This root canal has to be done on Monday quite early and it is quite near the front at the top. I am dreading it and am having sleepless nights. Just reading about draining pus and things like this on here is increasing my anxiety. Apparently the appointment is for 40 mins. I have only seen this dentist once before for a check up and she is lovely but of course we haven't exactly got a 'trusting' relationship as yet. I was experiencing pain with this tooth but hardly anything now for at least a week.
The thing is, I have read here about asking the dentist to stop if you feel anxious. She said she would but would I be able to leave at all during the 40 mins? What if I had a panic a
ttack? Would I be in excruciating pain if I left before she had completed the treatment? Help please :o

Hi Star2sparkle, I like your username btw. :) I don't have dental phobia but in
April of 2009 was facing my first root canal due to intense needle phobia. (I had let a cavity go too long). I found this wonderful forum and was told of the numbing gel (pre injection topical) along with words of comfort in general about the procedure. Since then, I've stuck around to check up on a few folks I got to know a little more closely but also to offer any words of support that I could; particularly regarding root canal treatment. My rc'ed tooth was/is an upper molar. I had known the dentist who would be performing the treatment for many years since he was dentist to my Grandma. However, I was never his patient. In fact, for no reason having to do with him, I harbored negativity his way. So, in that sense, immediately after he (his partner my dentist had moved on) diagnosed my intense pain as one that required rct, I was literally in his hands. I could have looked for someone else, in fact, I admit to doing just that. Ultimately, I saw him, and after making it through the first numbing injection, (thanks to the gel and his care I honestly felt nothing), I remember having a big goofy, embarrassed smile on my face, thinking "this was what I had gotten so worked up about?" Yes, I was still very much leery of him and the rct itself but his excellent dental skill and calm, compassionate manner has since made me his biggest patient fan. So, it most definitely is possible to find your perfect dentist, someone you can later build a relationship with, after only one or two visits. I hope the same will be the case for you and wish you all the best. :XXLhug:

The dentist can stop depending on the stage of the root canal therapy he or she is at. For example, if your dentist exposes the pulp floor and you request to leave without letting him or her take out the pulp then you may be in pain after the anesthetic wears off. If, on the other hand, the dentist has taken out the pulp and is simply shaping the root canal system, then you can leave after the dentist appropriately temporizes the tooth.

I am so worried about this whole procedure. I don't have any sedation in place such as IV sedation (I'm really not sure it would suit me anyway due to my fear of losing control and worrying about it's effect as I have a health phobia too) and can only rely on valium which can space me out. I'm so worried about it taking for me a really long time; 40 mins. Just being in the dentist chair for 10 mins is more than enough but I know I have to have it done. Oh help!

Most root canals are pretty boring for a patient and my assistant.

star2sparkle, I'm waiting to hear your followup. How did everything turn out?
I'm facing same thing & also terrified.

Yes of course they will stop if you ask, not to do so (in UK at least) would be assault. Any dentist who won't stop when signalled is not worthy of your custom.

With the right dentist I really don't mind root canals:

Back