• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed/Anxiety... Help

L

lovekataz

Hello, I'm Jessica and new here. I found the forum through google. I have always had bad experiences with dentists and I still have some anxiety about it. I haven't been to a dentist in years due to that anxiety along with not having insurance or the money to pay for dental treatment. I'm a single mom and have always put my children and their health first. I now have great insurance and I have my first dentist appointment in years on Monday. My teeth are in bad condition, I have multiple cavities, I have broken teeth and my molars are a wreck. I feel really embarrassed and ashamed. I am proud of myself tho, for even making the appointment. I just don't want a lecture from the dentist about how bad my teeth are, I don't want them to be disgusted, but now I really want to overcome this fear and get my smile back. I'm not really afraid of the pain or procedures as those don't really bother me. It's the actual dentist and their reactions (I once had a dentist and his staff belittle me and say things about me and my teeth while I was having work done). This is my first time seeing this particular dentist and office so I am way nervous!

I'm also wondering if I should bring my mom with me for support and encouragement (I'm 31 and a big baby lol) I don't know if that is a good idea though.

I guess I just need some encouragement and maybe some recommendations?

If you need or want your mom there for support I see nothing wrong with that. Perhaps you might want to discuss your concerns with the office prior to the appointment. This is also a good way to screen your dentist before you go in. Often the office staff treats patients like the dentist does.

:welcome: lovekataz

Your post says it all so why not send a copy to your dentist? He will then be aware of your feelings before you see him and it will stop you having to explain it all again.

Of course you should take your Mum if that's what you want to do - and no, you are not a baby you just need some support :)