• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache - arrrrrrrrrh!

M

mojopearl

Hi, I'm new. I've got dreadrul toothache at the moment. Had very little sleep last night. Spent a large chunk of it crying.
It's a rear tooth that has been filled. I went back about 4 months ago to the dentist because it was slighly paining me and the dentist said it would probably mean a root canal. Like many of you on here I dread the dentist and I just hoped the tooth would settle down. I'm in agony now with it and the tooth directly above it is not exactly happy either. Apparently, they are not rubbing.
I phoned an emergency dentish about 3 hours ago (I didn't take the decision lightly because of costs and because it the weekend) and I hope they will get back to me as it grinding me down.
I've had not sympathy from my boyfriend at all, which is awful as even though there's nothing he can do a bit of sympathy can go a long way.
I feel sorry for myself at the moment. I'm also trying not to overdo it with the painkillers at the moment, which is difficult when you are in agony.
By the way I often swing past here when I have to go to the dentist and I am dreading it. I find in increadible how people with very very severe phobia's do cope. Your a remarkable lot.
I have a phobia too but the pain mean I want to get to the doctors asap!
Thanks for listening.

We've surely all been in the same boat at least once in our lives, and I've recently had terrible toothace that's kept me awake & in tears too, so I can empathise there!
Firstly, I have to say, well done in even picking up the phone and making the appointment!
Secondly, here's a huge hug to make up for the sympathy you havent yet received! :XXLhug:

Best of luck with you appointment, post again when you can so people know how it went!

Megeriah xxx

Thanks Megeriah a virtual hug helps.:)
I'm still waiting for an appoitment, but will see what tomorrow brings.

Hi again,
I got the first part of a root canal done today. After all the pain I've been having it took a while even to work out what tooth was the problems as they were all on edge.
I came over a bit funny in the dentist chair (she said I was pale and not coping as well as usual) and the dentist gave me lucozade drink, which really gave me a boost.
The fact the dentish noticed i had a problem and gave me something to boost me up gives me much, much greater confidence in her. I was not aware that there was a problem at the time. Anyway, afte the drink I settled down and coped much better. (I'm going to make sure I have a bit of food in future.
Anyway, if we have got the right tooth the agony of the last couple of day should go!
I've probably got an extraction and a crown to do as well.Writing here has been a big, big help. Just seeing other people stories make me feel that I'm not alone. :)
Now I got to look up crowns, because I need one. I hope they are drama free? !
Thank you

I've got a wisdom tooth to be pulled today, due to ongoing pain. No big deal exept like many of you on here I dread these things. I feel quite nausaus at the moment but that could be taking paracetamol on an empty stomach. I feel like I'm talking to myself a bit but no matter - writing in on here is getting it off my chest. I haven't felt the need to do that in the past, but I'm worn-out at by it all at the moment and i think that what makes a difference.
I keep reminding myself that by the weekend I should be in no pain at all.
Thanks for listening

I've got a wisdom tooth to be pulled today, due to ongoing pain. No big deal exept like many of you on here I dread these things. I feel quite nausaus at the moment but that could be taking paracetamol on an empty stomach. I feel like I'm talking to myself a bit but no matter - writing in on here is getting it off my chest. I haven't felt the need to do that in the past, but I'm worn-out at by it all at the moment and i think that what makes a difference.
I keep reminding myself that by the weekend I should be in no pain at all.
Thanks for listening

Hey
I find your writing to be very important for other readers because you write what's you are experiencing in much detail and streight to the point. So please keep on writing how yo are doing.

Thank you Doctor Daniel for you encouragement.
Well the tooth is gone but it was a strange experience as just after they extracted it they said I was very pale and hung me upside down in the dentist chair rather quickly. They also thought briefly that my eye was droopy. Apparently, my heart was banging away. I don't understand quite what happened - maybe the though i was going to faint or maybe it was as simple as just getting some colour in my face. I've had three extactions perviously and never any problems except nerves. (The whole thing took half an hour this time which seems unusualy long for me.)
Anyway, I'm back on thursday again for the rest of my root canal. The dentist has given me the option of prosponing as she think I be threw it this week, but I just want to get the whole lot out of the way - even though I'm sick of it.
By the weekend I intend to be pain free & jumping for joy!

Last edited:
Congratulations mojopearl! It sounds like you're growing in confidence! My sincere apologies for not having been able to reply sooner, but I'm glad you're feeling better for just writing it down and getting it off your chest - it's always worked for me whatever the issue. Everyone's experiences are different and (as Dr. Daniel said) it's very important for others to see stories being told and discussed honestly and openly.

Keep us updated! :)

Megeriah x

Well the last part of my dentristy is tomorrow. They are taking out the last part of a root in the root canal and the filling it. The dentish knows I don't like injections. She said she might try putting something numbing in my tooth instead.
I'm nervous and worried, but I'm trying to reason with myself. I aware that my over-reaction to dentrisy is precisly what makes my time in the dental chair unpleasant. I just need to to calm down and try and approach it reasonbly. I felt like canceling today by was persuaded out of it by my Mum. I'm 45 by the way. She was right it I had posponed it I'd have only dwelt on it more.
I'm nearly there with it all - the terrible, terrible toothache has gone - I just need to get the last bit out of the way, which I will. Yes, I will.

Does your dentist offer nitrous? That might help to take the edge off a bit, or maybe they can give you a prescription for valium? I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like to me that your blood pressure is going up while you are there and maybe that is what causing you to become light headed? I have high blood pressure and that's what happens to me when I become super stressed out. Maybe take some music with you and listen to something soft and relaxing to get your mind to calm down.

I wish you tons of luck tomorrow and sending you a big hug.

Let us know how everything turns out.

Thanks for the kind reply boopy. :) i saw it just before I left for the dentist.
Well Yeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaa -I did it. :jump:
The dentist decided on no injection instead she injected some type of numbing fliud into the roots of the canal. I did have part of a nerve left there and the work she carried out, did hurt at times. Especially when she filled it, but I can't be surprised at this - i did after all have no injection! I was nervous all the way threw - it take about an hour.
However, I had no funny turns this time, which is great. (I was so worried that something might happen ie fainting.) Interesting info about blood presure by the way boopy. The dentist said in future she would try and adrenaline free injection with me. My dentist does not do nitrous but I do intend to try and get hold of some valium the next time I have major work.
Actually, something unusual did take place the dentist gave me a pansy pot plant, as a appology for not giving me emergency dentrisy over the weekend. I was very touched by that. It's a private practice and maybe the thought it would be better for business.
It's been quite a week. And this forum is marvelous. It's been a great help. A big thank you not only to this website but also everyone who was kind to read and reply.
Thank you. I'm really very grateful.:)

Last edited:
You are going to think me very strange but this makes me so mad :devilish:...it's a funny private practice that doesn't numb you up 110% for part 2 of a root canal.
Was this really your preference over an injection? Did you get the option of changing your mind and having the local part way through?

It is possible for local aneasthetic to be delivered entirely painlessly even without the Wand etc www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/needle-phobia/
so if you have a private dentist who hasn't mastered this painless technique or got a computerised system/Wand etc, you may want to choose a different one who has or even one with nitrous (it is available in UK sometimes but if you are properly numb you don't need it and you wouldn't need to stress about the appointment either).

You should always eat before an appointment re not feeling faint during even if not nervous.

There is I promise you, a UK private dentist out there who can treat you without causing any pain whatsoever. If you are registered with a dentist, they should see you out of hours in an emergency or make alternative arrangements as that's part of the deal: I am your regular patient, you are there for me when I need you etc etc
Congrats for getting this sorted but in my opinion you are not yet in the best hands 'dental comfort wise' and you easily could be. I have also been there with the 'dentists who hurt you nicely' as well as the ones 'who hurt you vindictively' and can assure you it is a cycle best broken by finding a Good Guy/Gal asap and sticking with them. Then it can be you giving the pot plants! She should be overcoming your fear of dental injections not expecting you to sit through inadequate anaesthesia because you currently (incorrectly) surmise that is the least bad option.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very interesting post Brit. You've really given me something to think about.
This time there was no offer of an injection half way threw if I wanted it. With previous dentristy the dentist has offered to stop and inject should i want it.
The dentist just reasured me that the pain would get no worse than it alreay was. However, it did especially when she filled in the root canal. The pain lasted a good while! However, I could have had an injection from the outset if I'd wanted it. If an injection had been recommended I would have had it - even though I don't like them. At the end of the day a patient/ customer has to trust the recommodation of the detist. I will say that on a previous occasion I had a tooth filled without an injection and it was murder! I came away quite shocked.
However, it a bit of a catch 22 situatin as she not giving them to me as I don't enjoy them!
Last night, I did look on this forum at recommended dentists in my area and after what you said I'll have a good think about swapping.
Thanks also for the link.
:)

Last edited:
A very interesting post Brit. You've really given me something to think about.
This time there was no offer of an injection half way threw if I wanted it. With previous dentristy the dentist has offered to stop and inject should i want it.
The dentist just reasured me that the pain would get no worse than it alreay was. However, it did especially when she filled in the root canal. The pain lasted a good while! However, I could have had an injection from the outset if I'd wanted it. If an injection had been recommended I would have had it - even though I don't like them.
Last night, I did look on this forum at recommended dentists in my area and after what you said I'll have a good think about swapping.
Thanks also for the link.
:)
Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended.
She should be overcoming your fear of dental injections not expecting you to sit through inadequate anaesthesia because you currently (incorrectly) surmise that is the least bad option.
Also from your further answer it is clear to me that you still view dentistry as being 'done to you' and you having no say once an appointment has started. Of course you could have stopped her and changed your mind...especially in the private sector where they want/need repeat business = happy customers/referrals to friends and relatives.
Your putting up with it probably just meant to her that the pain level was ok for you.

I certainly did seek reasurance from the dentist but is is difficult with a dental dam in.
With a previous filling without an injection she said that my tonge was trying to force her hand away. It was v painful on that occasion. I think the dentist thinks that I tolerate pain well! I don't mind having a little filling without an injection even though I am a dental phobic. That's just very brief discomfort. The major stuff is another thing.
At the end of the day I have to trust the dentist who's treating me. However, you've made me think about whether i should just accept painful dentristy or not. There obviously is an alternative which i should look into.
Thank you once again. :)

I certainly did seek reasurance from the dentist but is is difficult with a dental dam in.
With a previous filling without an injection she said that my tonge was trying to force her hand away. It was v painful on that occasion. I think the dentist thinks that I tolerate pain well! I don't mind having a little filling without an injection even though I am a dental phobic. That's just very brief discomfort. The major stuff is another thing.
At the end of the day I have to trust the dentist who's treating me. However, you've made me think about whether i should just accept painful dentristy or not. There obviously is an alternative which i should look into.
Thank you once again. :)

This sounds even worse...not just the one appointment where pain unnecessarily endured by you, you have maybe already fallen victim to 'the painful dentistry done nicely dentist-patient relationship'.
Please do look for something painfree and therefore more conducive to your getting regular care without fear in future.www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/loss-of-control/
Rubber dam does not prevent a raised hand stop signal and my dentist as an example always states that treatment should be painfree and if it is not to stop him immediately so he can do something about it. A dentist who uses this kind of reassuring patter will likely have the skills to keep pain at bay even if tooth infected by using advanced local anesthetic techniques.
You only have to give the benefit of the doubt to a dentist who appears well-intentioned and trustworthy. They earn your actual trust (and loyalty) by giving you good dental experiences.
It does sound as if yours has given you more bad ones than good ones. One of the reasons I prefer male dentists to female ones as a general rule is simply because some women have far too high pain thresholds lol. It should n't be about pain anyway in 21st century it should be about care delivered in a painfree manner. There is no need to put up with less if you are fussy like me and willing to search for the right dentist for you.
Also if she is younger than 40 she has probably had very little if any invasive dental treatment herself and doesn't really know for sure what her patients are being put through.
www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/pain/

www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/drill/

An older dentist who has had a few fillings and crowns himself is much better at giving reliable advice on whether a procedure needs numbing but at the end of the day, you are the one who feels the pain not the dentist, so you are the final arbiter in care you pay for as to whether you want local anaesthetic. You can opt to be numbed up 'just in case' if you want. Whatever it takes to make it easy for you to get regular care and not just emergency care.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I posted on here. Thank you brit - I now realise that something might be amiss with the treatment I've had. When I come to think of it i've never had such painful dentristy! (And I've seen alot of dentist's over the years threw traveling a bit)
I've only just done the briefest research (and will do more) but there is a dentist near me who does the Wand and air abrasion/ drill less. This sounds like a much better choice for me.

A quick question - with the wand. Does one get that adrenaline feeling when it is administered? I think that part of my problems my heart is normally banging away from stress of the appointment and just sitting in the dental chair. By the time I get the injection it gets races into super-orbit! Is there still that extra adrenaline kick from the injection, which some people seem to be sensitive too?

I think the whole atmosphere and relationship of trust between you and the dentist can change how you react to the local anaesthetic. Why would you feel relaxed if you knew pain was going to be involved at every appointment whether anaethetised or not?
I certainly don't generally suggest private dentists over NHS ones in order to get people more painful care, painfree dentistry is hard to do in a rush because it takes more time to put your patient at ease and to use gels and to inject slowly hence why it is generally easier for the private sector to provide in UK. All private dentists are not good however as you have found out.

The route to dental happiness: Once you find a friendly dentist who offers painfree treatment and the dental work is of a good quality, stick with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and advise. You made me think about what I want out of dental treatment.

I deffinatly know how you feel I had a tooth ache once And for weeks I didn't do a thing about it and finally after weeks of avoiding it I Finaly had it taken care of please don't wait like I did get it done with you will be much better off
:XXLhug: