• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not doing so well :/

A

Anxiety_Princess

Former Member
My anxiety about getting my widsoms out is making me so depressed. I am having trouble eating. I was out at the store today and I just felt so hopeless...and queasy. I honestly don't know HOW I am going to be able to go through with this! Awake. Or not Awake. Both carry so many things that scare me so bad. ....This makes me just want to get this done and over with so I can quit being miserable about it. Yet, I am way too scared to go all the same. I don't feel ready =[

Just wondering if anyone had anxiety this bad as I am about this whole thing...and then ..when you did finally go through with it, did you wonder "what was all this fuss about?"

I just keep feeling tha the whole thing for me is going to be suffering. Even worse I worry of some complication(I am in my 20s) and that I will actually regret having them removed(if nerve damage or reoccuring headaches or something :/) But yet if I don't have them removed I suffer that way too. (cavities) . *sigh*

I can't say what will happen to you but I can say that unlike many situations we face in our lives we only have to face wisdom teeth once. Your problem can readily be dealt with by an OMS who does this almost every working day.

You will be amazed at how easy it all ends up being.

Truly.. I have had consultations ONLY with my dentist over the past month, just talking about what my options are for my teeth in general. I get so tense and nervous and anxious days before leading up to just "talking" but every time I leave there.... I can't WAIT to start treatment and after I'm there... I become relaxed and wonder why I was so uptight in the first place.

Comfortdentist is right, tho, once and it's done. I remember when I had to get mine out (21 years ago)... I was in and out in 45 minutes and that's 7 teeth pulled.

You can do this.. just have to be super positive and after that.. it's done.. over with. And then you'll feel HEAPS better! :XXLhug:

I know what you mean about not feeling ready, I don't think I've ever felt ready for any dental or medical procedure in the last 20 years. :) Just kind of go with the flow and end up feeling relieved at how easy it all was.

I'm scheduled for my wisdom teeth removed next month (all FIVE of them - go go supernumerary teeth!). I'm nervous about my procedure too, but having had so much dental work over the last few years which has all gone fantastically, I'm definitely more at peace with things.

Comfortdentist is right - oral surgeons perform wisdom teeth extractions on a daily basis and I'm sure 99.99% of them go without any issues at all. Why should we be in that 0.01%? :) 20's is no age at all for wisdom tooth extraction - I'm in my 30's and my surgeon tells me that jaw bone density doesn't reach its peak until the 40's, and even then that doesn't increase the risk of complications by any noticeable amount.

I'm completely convinced you'll be back here after your procedure, typing away with a bag of frozen peas on your face telling everyone how easy it was in hindsight and how relieved you feel! ;)

Good luck! :jump:

Hi...I had 28 teeth out in one appointment, including wisdom teeth and I can say in all honesty that afterwards I had hardly any pain at all. You will be fine I'm sure. x Dee x

Everything will be ok I can't imagine wat you are going through but I do know that we are all here for you :grouphug::grouphug:

Just wondering if anyone had anxiety this bad as I am about this whole thing...and then ..when you did finally go through with it, did you wonder "what was all this fuss about?"

With wisdom teeth absolutely yes...I knew I wanted GA for sure but did worry about all the aspects of it including afterpain which was in the event minimal. So for me it was less bad than everyone else had led me to believe.

I totally understand. I am going through the same thing right now and I'm in my early 30's. They only started bothering me a few months ago. I have not made my appointment yet due to anxiety. I can only tell you that the anxiety and stress takes a toll on your whole well being and if your teeth hurt, can make pain worse. I wish you all the best.:cool:

Back