• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth won't go numb

M

michelle34

Hi.My dentist says I need a root canal.I have had the usual pain sensitivity ect..The x-ray showed nothing...go figure.This tooth has been drilled twice before and on the last drilling the tooth wouldnt freeze properly.My dentist figures that its not freezing because there is infection.Okay fair enough.He put me on erythromicin,it didnt work.I went for my first appointment,he froze me very well,right to the top of my head,it lasted for 4 hours..BUT...the tooth still would not freeze. :censored:He didnt tell me that the infection was gone when the sensitivity was gone.So we both felt stupid. :redface:Now I'm on clyndamicin, its been 5 days and it doesnt seem to be working.What is going on.Any insight.Dont forget the x-ray showed nothing :confused:,should I just wait untill the tooth is really dead ,or is that too late.My stomach is taking a real beating :scared:,I dont know how much more antibiotics i can take.HELP. :hidesbehindsofa:

Re: frustration

Hi Michelle,

It certainly sounds very frustrating, both for you and your dentist (but then he's not the one with the sore tooth I guess...) Every once in a while a tooth like this comes along to frustrate everyone.

Based on my understanding as a humble dentist, it sounds as if your tooth is hyperaemic. In other words, the pulp within the tooth is inflammed and it would be swollen, except it's trapped within the confines of the tooth and hence the build-up of pressure is causing all your woes. Biting on the tooth obviously increases the pressure & hence pain, hot and cold things also vary pressure experienced, and hence the pain. Does this sound like you?

Antibiotics will certainly prevent any spread of infection, but in my experience they are unlikely to resolve the problem, which essentially is that it won't go numb even though the surrounding area does. Usually this is explained by pH differences around the inflammed tooth which affects the local anaesthetic. However the tooth needs treatment, so what to do.

Two methods have worked for me in the past.
1- deposit local anaesthetic within the bone directly adjacent to the tip of the root - I won't go into details, but your dentist should be familiar with an intraosseus technique of some description. Or know someone who can.
2- treat the tooth under sedation. ie make the tooth numb in the normal way, sedate the patient, and then gain access to the inflammed nerve as your dentist has been trying to do. All this means is you won't go 'Ouch' when access is gained. Once access has been effectively gained, your problems should be almost solved because the pressure build-up that I mentioned before has been released. Like taking thevalve off a pressure cooker and letting all the steam out.

Hope that helps...and wasn't too graphic :scared: sorry if it was. I'm on call and I have to go see a patient, so must rush. But I'll check back later if you have any questions.

Hope it gets sorted soon you poor thing.

Thankyou,the more graphic the better.I want to avoid sedation,this sounds funny but I'm afraid of falling or farting. :rolleyes: ;D I'll mention the bone freeze to him.Yes your description sounds like me.The tooth doesnt ache all the time and its not swollen anywhere,it just bothers me when there is pressure or extremes of temp.I seem to have lucked out I really love my dentist,but it has taken a life time to find the right one.I have horor stories a mile long.It helps that hes really cute too. :redface: :drool:

What about Flagyl ,is that ever used for dental problems.I just realised something,what if my dentist is one of the dentists here and i just told him i thought he was cute, :devilish:Once I explain everything to him he would know exactly who I am...Oh crap.Oh well,I'm sure he would be flattered.I'm sure I'm not the first person on planet earth to think that. :innocent:

Don't worry, I'll let him know!  ;D

Flagyl is usually used for gum infections as it targets a different type of bacteria. It might work, but then again you might be as well be throwing jam at the tooth *wee dental joke, sorry*
Plus, you want to avoid too many sorts of antibiotics if you can, heaven knows when you might need one for something more serious.

I can understand your wishing to avoid sedation, dental surgeries smell bad as it is... :o

Personally I'd go with the intraosseous thing, plus you can look into his eyes while he does it...

Are you kidding looking deep into those beautiful hazel eyes is my favorite part. ;)The best part is,he looks back. :cloud9: Yeah okay,I confess I have a wee bitty of a crush on him. :redface: :innocent: I really like it when he drops things and I get to watch him pick it up.:devilish:

I'm sorry Michelle, i got you all wrong. :)

I thought you were frustrated because of your tooth!

You are obviously a very sick lady, watching the poor wee dentist indeed! "I'm sorry Dr, I seem to have dropped my floss..." etc :rolleyes:

;) there ain't no cure for lurve :-*

LOL,hey he should be flattered most people hate dentists.He looks really nummy in his scrubs :devilish:.Its that man in uniform thing I guess. :innocent:What can I say.Anyway seriously though.I'm going to see him in 2 days.I'm supposed to have the first part of the root canal but we'll see,the receptionist told me to come in anyway even though its still bothering me to at least talk to him.She said that as soon as the tooth is open he uses a pen type thing to deliver more freezing,but last time he didnt get that far,in fact all he was able to do was put a dent in the top and i just about hit the roof. :censored: With the last filling on that tooth he used the pen thingy at least 6 times.Why he didnt clue in then that something else was going on is beyond me.So hopefully things go better this time and hopefully he will drop a few tools. ;D :devilish: :-*

IT WAS A SUCCESS.YAAAAAAY :jump: :jump: :jump: I froze. He used the pen thingy quite a bit but he did it. All that fuss for nothing.I go back next week for step 2.I'm not looking forward to 2 1/2 hours in the chair but I have spent longer than that having a tooth rebuilt.This tooth is pretty achy though and the temporary filling tastes pretty gross,but I'm so relieved.I dont care. ;D

Uh whats with the bad taste in my mouth.??? :confused: Its so bad nothing will get rid of it. :confused:I cant stand the smell of my own breath.I drank some hot tea,next thing I know I have a chemical taste in my mouth and my tongue starts burning. :censored:Its gone now but the bad taste lingers.Is that the tooth draining or the paste from the temporary filling.??? :confused:

Well done You! :jump:

Taste is more than likely the dressing that the dentist placed to deal with any infection. Nothing to worry about there, but it does taste pretty yuck.

Back