• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting a broken molar pulled today...trying not to freak out.

B

boopy

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I still come by and read all the posts.

Well, today is the day I have a broken molar pulled on my upper right hand side. I was doing ok until today....I'm starting to freak out.

Little back story, I neglected my teeth for a long, long, long time and last year I bit the bullet and went. My first time meeting my dentist I was a sobbing mess. Thinking they were going to yell at me, and just having bad experiences in the past...scared out of my mind. My dentist is awesome, after having a scaling and going every three months for a cleaning, my fears have subsided a little. I have become the master at cleanings...even hugging my hygenist when done lol! After my last cleaning last month, they said I need to get my broken molar taken out. Which I agreed and was all gung ho about it. "Yeah...let's get this out as soon as possible"

I was actually ok the past few weeks about today. I went out over the weekend and bought some mushy food, and generally just happy about taking time off of work! Well...I had a nasty cold about a week and a half ago and right now I'm at the end of it. Just a cough and a little phlegmy (sorry). Well....my jerk boss told me that if they pull the tooth like this, that it can infect it and it could travel to my heart and die. Not the best thing to say to a phobic!!!! So I called the office yesterday and I spoke to the assistant who said as long as it's not in the full blown stage, I will be fine. And we talked for a few minutes and she made me feel comfortable.

My thing is, I've never had a tooth out before. They are going to do it in his office with just novacaine. How bad will I feel it....will there be tons of blood? I'm scared of dry socket. I'm scared of an infection (thanks boss). How much pain will I be in for the next few days?

My appt is at 5 tonight!!! Aghhh. I took today off of work because I new at some point I would be getting anxious and if I worked, I would be more stressed out and it just wouldn't be pretty. I took tomorrow off of work to. My boss was actually mad that I wasn't coming in tomorrow. I was like seriously? Then I said I will most likely come in Thursday, but not sure because I don't know how I would feel. He said that I should be fine. He's not the most sympethetic person. This woman at work was out all summer with a hip replacement and basically made her work from the hospital. The only good thing is that he is at a conference for the rest of the week and everyone in my dept told me not to worry about if I take more time off.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just starting to freak. I'm gonna take my happy pill before I go, which I haven't needed in months. I'm just scared of the pain (which is funny because I have a high tolerance for pain) and I'm scared of something going horribly wrong. Especially being at the tail end of a cold.

Can someone tell me how their experience with this went...and if I'm starting to over react over nothing. Ugh...I hate feeling like this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!! Love to all!!!

Yikes I hate late afternoon appointments! All day to sit around and worry!! :)

Still, you'll be fine. Extraction differs from person to person, most people report minor discomfort or pressure for a handful of seconds then it's all done. Others don't feel anything at all.

If there's an infection around the tooth, your dentist will deal with it during your procedure and antibiotics will normally be given afterwards to be sure it's all cleared up. Either way, it's not like your tooth will be pulled and immediately you'll develop heart problems - your boss is a scaremongering fool by the sounds of it.

Remember - your health and well-being can only improve by having this tooth treated which is exactly what you're doing!

Good luck, it'll all be done before you know it! :) Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Rich, I really appreciate it. Yes....waiting around all day hasn't been helpful at all!! I tried to keep busy, cleaning, paying bills...called my friend who is taking me and trying to bribe her into going to a bar instead.

I have been having some health issues as of late and I'm sure my teeth have something to do with it. I also have 2 broken wisdom teeth that I think will be coming out early next year. But this tooth has to come out. I just looked at it and it's gross.

My boss is not the most caring person. He's usually an ok guy, but when it comes to personal stuff...he's a jerk. Actually, he's more of a d-bag. His wife broker her heel and he told me that he doesn't feel bad for her. I think he might be evil.

But thank you for letting me know it won't take so long and that they will treat my tooth if they see anything wrong....i soooooo appreciate it. My mind sometimes goes into hyper speed and I need to calm it down.

Well...my friend is coming to get me in a little while, maybe I can still talk her into going out instead haha....just kidding. Kind ofo_O

I'll let you know how I make out!!! Wish me luck!!!!!:o

Hi, I hope you are doing well today?

Hi Mojopearl! I meant to write an update earlier but I took a nap lol.

I'm actually doing really well today, better than I expected!!

Turns out when I got there, they were going to take out my top 2 wisdom teeth as well! They were also broken. I guess they told me before, but I must of blocked it out some how. Which I'm glad I did because then I probably would've cancelled the apt if I realized it was 3 teeth they were taking!!

As soon as I sat on the chair...they were prepping me really quick. I told the dentist my concerns and he was very nice and comforting. They numbed me up and his assistant was holding my hand which I thought was nice. After a few minutes they numbed me some more and gave me that sweet sweet nitrious (sp?). That made all the difference right there. He kept talking to me and making jokes and kept asking if I was ok. I didn't feel him take out either wisdom teeth, but the broken molar there was a lot of tugging and I started getting nervous. It's hard to explain, I felt the tugging and the pressure...but I was anticipating a giant shooting pain..so I starting grunting. He stopped and asked if I was ok. Let me me take some more deap breathes of the nitrious and continued for another 10 seconds. The worst part for me was taking xrays after. I have a gag reflex and getting that camera way back there took a few trys.

But I didn't need any stitches and they said the bleeding would probably stop soon. They sent me home with the after care papers and a ton of gauze. And they told me that I would only need advil for the pain. I only needed the gauze for a couple of hours..the bleeding stopped.

As for the pain I was dreading today...there's not any!!! There is no pain in where my wisdom teeth were, the only thing thats bothering me is where the broken molar was. It feels a little swollen and tender...that's it!!!! I tried eating a bannana this morning and realized I can't open my mouth all the way, but that's it. I have been taking the advil and rinsing my mouth with warm salt water every so often.

I can't get over how pain free I am today!! I feel like a fool for getting myself all worked up yesterday...but that's my damn anxiety...which I'm sure everyone can understand. My next appt is in December for some cavities....I'm sure I will be freaking out again then haha.

The only pain I think I will feel is when I go back to work tomorrow and see all the work piled up haha.

But thanks for asking, I appreciate it!!!

Now, time to have some mashed taters for dinner. I have a feeling this is gonna get old quick haha.

Back