• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

developing a gagging problem

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always had a somewhat sensitive gag reflex but nothing too out of control. But lately, it seems like each time I go to the dentist this is becoming more and more of a problem. I find myself obsessing about trying not to gag throughout the entire appointment and using the strategies I read about on the site to prevent it but the second I lapse in my attention, I gag. I think I truly gagged at least 3-5 times today and nearly gagged another 10 times but was able to stop it before it reached the breaking point. I actually had tears running down my cheeks by the end of the cleaning today from my eyes watering while I tried to stop myself from gagging for the duration of the appointment. The poor hygienist (who was actually very sweet and gentle) felt terrible because she thought she made me cry but I tried to explain that it was just me and my gagging issue. I don't gag while brushing my own teeth and I've read that gagging can be a manifestation of feeling out of control or fear (something I've always struggled with), so perhaps that's it? I thought I was getting over this and getting to a normal level of anxiety with dental treatment but now this new issue has cropped up and I'm not sure what to do other than REALLY concentrate on using the strategies the entire time I'm there...it's so frustrating! I've been working at this for like 9 years and I feel like it's never going to NOT be a stressful experience.

Was this hygienist new to you?

Actually yes, the hygienist was new to me. I've seen her before but have never had treatment with her. Also come to think of it, I didn't gag once with the dentist while she used the ultra-sonic scaler thing that sprays all of the water (which would be the more likely scenario for gagging and I didn't have to actively concentrate on not gagging with her either). It was only a serious issue with the hygienist. Nice observation Brit.

Back