• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got immediate dentures at 44

N

nm156

Hello all,

Like everyone else I feared going to the Dentist. I had Periodontal disease and it ran in the family.. I knew about it for years but for a good part of my life I manged to squeak by and my teeth looked "ok" since I altered my smile most of the time to not show too much..

But as I got older I noticed the gums receding more but still blew it off.. then I started getting tooth aches in the back and that’s when the tooth starts to slowly rot.. I dealt with it and it went away then I noticed one of the back teeth was loose.. I kept playing with it with my tongue and one day it just fell out and left a hole in the back.. then another one did the same thing.. it wasn’t until the front tooth came loose that I finally panicked and knew I couldn't hide that if it fell out so I went in to the Dentist..

sure enough I knew going in what was going to happen.. I needed all of my top pulled and partial on the bottom.. he said we could set in immediate dentures but also gave the option (and I asked for it) about the really expensive permanent dentures..

I went in and they give you a couple pills before hand and a prescription to fill out (oxycodon) etc.. and laughing gas.. they shoot in Novocaine in the gums and he started pulling.. I didn't feel a thing except the needle for the Novocaine..

slipped in the dentures and I went home high as a kite and feeling no pain.. I took some pics that I will attach here of before and after..

It's day 3 and I cant eat, I went back in and he adjusted them and I complained that they looked "too big" which is apparently very common in the beginning.. I can talk but have obvious issues speaking and since the swelling isn't gone I still look like bucky the rabbit!
I feel a couple sore spots but pushing through it as I don't like to take meds that often and that Oxycodone took me for a ride and I think right now it's a bit overkill and not taking it..

My biggest fear is that the front top wont look right... the bottoms are perfect but the top makes me look like i'm going to rip a child in half on Halloween passing out candy so I wont smile .. I don't like wearing plastic in my mouth and want the permanent ASAP! 6-7 months I'm told..

the moral to this story is that since I kept pushing it off I lost bone mass in the top and had to have the holes filled with bone regeneration material BEFORE I can opt for the more expensive permanent implants..

I go back Thursday to have the top stitches removed.. and hopefully shave down this top denture since it feels like it's "pushing out" under the nose area and when I smile all these teeth and gum show which is not normal for my smile or look..--> ;D and I want -->:)

Don't wait and go right away.. imo

If anyone has any questions or advice please reply :)

Attachments

• tday1.jpg
    tday1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
First off grats to you for going and getting things under control! :XXLhug: I know you feel like you waited too long but the past cannot be undone. The important thing to concentrate on is that you are getting things taken care of.

My grandmother suffers from the same thing you do. She spent years of pain to get everything under control. And even with a lot of care she still lost 10 teeth in the process. She wears a flipper which she loves (for anyone curious she's had it in various incarnations for 30 years, eats with it and doesn't even feel it), a larger permanent bridge on the bottom and several crowns. The best thing she's found is to go in for cleanings/check-ups every 3 months. Once she had it under control she's been doing that for the past 20 years and hasn't had problems. Might be something you want to consider and don't blame yourself, it is a nasty disease that really takes it's toll.

I think in the FAQ at the top you can find a link to denture forums if you want extra support during this time. (I know there's a link somewhere on this site lol, can't think of where it is). They are really nice over there. I've been lurking since I will eventually need partials myself and I'm mortified by this thought since I'm only 31.

I've heard you get really used to the feeling of having this in your mouth. Some people take longer then others but eventually it is supposed to feel more natural and you'll be able to tell better if things don't fit right.

When you say permanent, does this mean you'll be getting implants to hold them in place? If so, that's really good since it stimulates bone growth and if they are what I think they are, I've heard really good things about them.

I'd be interested to know how you do with partials. My dentist and I don't want to go with bridges just because my teeth don't need extra stress. A lot of my back teeth will eventually be pulled and I'm rather terrified at the prospect myself. My only other option is to get implants to support a bridge but the money involved for that seems like a down payment on a house!

While you're advice of not waiting is right on, don't criticize yourself for going sooner. Horrible dental experiences, or any medical experience, can leave a lasting scar on anyone and fear of something being wrong just makes everything worse. Congratulate yourself on doing this and think of the beautiful smile you'll end up with.

The 'after' picture looks really natural. Congratulations :jump:

The 'after' picture looks really natural. Congratulations :jump:

I second that! I didn't look at the pictures close up. They look really nice. :)

Thanks everyone...

well, some time has passed and the swelling went down more and I had to go back and have relines done..

I still can't eat anything except soup.. It feels really unnatural having hard plastic teeth and I find myself constantly using my tongue to keep the top denture up due to the gums shrinking and multiple relines..

I'm glad I did it since it was really worrying me with the natural teeth falling out and people I know look at me and say "you are really looking great" while there eyes wander to try and figure out what I did.. lol I tell them since I don't care if people know what I did.. as time goes on it will get better..

The permanent denture I'm talking about is where they screw in posts into the bone then implant better teeth so you don't take them out.. no plastic denture.. imo it's worth the money

I'll post more pics later.

I seriously advise anyone worrying about it to just "do it" and don't look back.. ask friends who they go to as I did and I felt no pain when they did the surgery.. just the pain afterward and i'm feeling better now.. and losing weight :)

You look great. If you get bored, browse my journal. I went through the same thing..full immediates in July 2010. Believe me when I say it DOES get better. You'll actually reach a point when you totally forget you have them. Good luck to you!

Hello all,

Like everyone else I feared going to the Dentist. I had Periodontal disease and it ran in the family.. I knew about it for years but for a good part of my life I manged to squeak by and my teeth looked "ok" since I altered my smile most of the time to not show too much..

But as I got older I noticed the gums receding more but still blew it off.. then I started getting tooth aches in the back and that’s when the tooth starts to slowly rot.. I dealt with it and it went away then I noticed one of the back teeth was loose.. I kept playing with it with my tongue and one day it just fell out and left a hole in the back.. then another one did the same thing.. it wasn’t until the front tooth came loose that I finally panicked and knew I couldn't hide that if it fell out so I went in to the Dentist..

sure enough I knew going in what was going to happen.. I needed all of my top pulled and partial on the bottom.. he said we could set in immediate dentures but also gave the option (and I asked for it) about the really expensive permanent dentures..

I went in and they give you a couple pills before hand and a prescription to fill out (oxycodon) etc.. and laughing gas.. they shoot in Novocaine in the gums and he started pulling.. I didn't feel a thing except the needle for the Novocaine..

slipped in the dentures and I went home high as a kite and feeling no pain.. I took some pics that I will attach here of before and after..

It's day 3 and I cant eat, I went back in and he adjusted them and I complained that they looked "too big" which is apparently very common in the beginning.. I can talk but have obvious issues speaking and since the swelling isn't gone I still look like bucky the rabbit!
I feel a couple sore spots but pushing through it as I don't like to take meds that often and that Oxycodone took me for a ride and I think right now it's a bit overkill and not taking it..

My biggest fear is that the front top wont look right... the bottoms are perfect but the top makes me look like i'm going to rip a child in half on Halloween passing out candy so I wont smile .. I don't like wearing plastic in my mouth and want the permanent ASAP! 6-7 months I'm told..

the moral to this story is that since I kept pushing it off I lost bone mass in the top and had to have the holes filled with bone regeneration material BEFORE I can opt for the more expensive permanent implants..

I go back Thursday to have the top stitches removed.. and hopefully shave down this top denture since it feels like it's "pushing out" under the nose area and when I smile all these teeth and gum show which is not normal for my smile or look..--> ;D and I want -->:)

Don't wait and go right away.. imo

If anyone has any questions or advice please reply :)[/QUOTE

Hope all went well, I realize this is from 2011 but it is 2014 and I am44 and getting imeddiate dentures, ll and your post sounds just like me. I just want to know that the dentures worked out ok for you or am I in for a life of misery?

Dawnme

Welcome!!!

My life is much much better. I am 10 weeis in after getting top and bottom front teeth partials. Life is most certainly not over. Far from it. Have a look at some of my posts. Let me know if I can answer any questions. I know how you must be feeling.

Miss P

Back