• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth extraction with IV sedation- help!!

L

LJS

Hi,

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this website following my recent Google searches on wisdom tooth extractions, which have left me fearing the worst!!!

I'm phobic and have stupidly avoided the dentist for nearly 12 years. The only reason I have been recently is due to a decayed molar which is sat next to an impacted wisdom tooth. I have masses of other bits of treatment to have done too I guess, but at the moment the focus is on the wisdom tooth which comes out on Tuesday.

I'm terrified!! The assessment appointment at the sedation clinic was far more pleasant than I had anticipated and I'm hoping the extraction will be the same but I'm living in fear of dry socket, bone removal, stitches....

I'm also concerned about the sedation. The dentist said she will be using Midazolam in addition to a local anaesthetic. I'm concerned I will still feel pain and be in such a relaxed state that I won't be able to inform the dentist that it hurts! Also a tad worried of the after effects of the drug...

Thanks for taking the time to read this!:)

Hi there -

What they plan to give you through the IV is a drug that causes amnesia, pretty much like a black out for most people. Many people respond well and don't remember a thing while it is being administered. The weirdness of it all is that while being given it you can answer questions and show pain, you just wont remember anything. Remember that this isn't like GA that they use for surgery, which also includes medicines to make sure you can't move. In IV sedation that won't happen.

The majority of people remember nothing, some people remember bits and pieces and for a rare bunch the drug doesn't work. They'll know immediately if this is the case and their are other medicines they can use to sedate you.

Stitches are common for wisdom teeth removal, especially for impacted ones depending if they have to cut the gums a little to take the tooth out. This is common for teeth not fully erupted. Are you having all of them out or just one? I would say have them all out at once under IV sedation but that's up to you and your dentist.

While dry socket is more common on wizzies, it is still pretty rare. The best thing to do is to follow your after care instructions to the T. While it is not known why some people develop dry socket and others don't, there are things you can do to lower your risk, such as not spitting or drinking through a straw. While it is painful and sounds scary, dry socket is easy to treat and simply delays the healing time.

Probably the best thing to do is not Google to much and scare yourself to death. While worse case scenarios do happen, they are very rare and shouldn't be something to worry over. You need to have this done, and as in all medical procedures there are complications that have a small risk of happening. The best thing to do is not dwell on the what ifs and just focus on getting through Tuesday and thinking that you won't have these complications.

But grats on finally getting to a dentist and starting to get treatment. :jump: And welcome!

Back