• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning & Dental Hygienists

I forgot you were before the whole 'let's fluoridate the water' thing. I also read a study where kids now are more prone to cavities then they were even 10 years ago. There's a lot of debate about why, though it probably has something to do with drinking a lot of sugary drinks and not being supervised when they brush. It really wouldn't surprise me that they would be lacking parental input, looking at all the stupid things parents are still doing, like still not vaccinating their children.

It really seemed like it was because she was new that the other hygienist was with her. I don't think it was due to a cancellation. The other hygienist was going to start on me, when the dentist called over the one I didn't like and asked her if she wanted to do a gum check - whatever it's called. So yeah, one of the reason's why I think she was new to the office. I'm really nice, I don't aim to be mean to people when I deal with them in person and tend to take too much flack, but even I wanted to tell her off, lol.

I will definitely get a second opinion. At the very least, if I do have my dentist remeasure me after a little while, at least I know he won't be trying to make me bleed. :rolleyes:

And for the love of all that is holy, this mouthwash they have me on tastes like what I always thought Lysol would taste like if I decided to use it as a mouthwash.

Awhile ago I lived in a small city where there wasn't the greatest choice of dentists. My general dentist referred me to a periodontist because of my gum recession and loose teeth (after he extracted my wisdom tooth the teeth were fine--the wisdom tooth was pushing hard against them). The periodontist told me I needed surgery right away in the upper right part of my mouth. I asked him to explain and he told me I wouldn't understand the explanation. Then he told me to come back next week and he would take another look.

So the next week I came back and he told me I needed emergency surgery on the bottom front part of my gums. He pulled my lower lip down and said that all the red part was infection and that without surgery I would lose all those teeth in around a year. I said, "What about the upper right part?" He said, "What?" I said, "I thought I needed surgery in the upper right." He said no.

So I got a second opinion without his knowledge. The next periodontist told me the red infection was actually blood vessels, my gums were healthy (although he said I have a big grinding problem, which I clearly do), and that the first periodontist performed unnecessary surgery all the time on perfectly healthy patients. Over ten years later I still have all my teeth (except that pesky wisdom tooth) and haven't had any periodontal procedures.

Anyway, just because someone has a license doesn't mean they are necessarily ethical or even competent. If you have a bad feeling, definitely get a second opinion and even a third if you have to.

Back