• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wasn't so bad after all

A

aunty_septic

Hi, I posted on here a couple of weeks under another name, (couldn't remember password and for some reason can't reset it) I had just ran out of my first appointment in years, got a cracked molar, temporary crown that i have somehow made last for 3 years and a whole ruck of other problems or so I thought. Well, today, I actually made it into the chair and i'm so glad I did, Obviously I do need work doing, But the dentist and all the other staff were lovely, and really put my mind at rest. The dentist said things arent as bad as they look, He suggested that i get sedated for treatment, but I honestly think now i've got over the first hurdle of actually finding out exactly whats needed to be done, I will be ok. Also, expense was a big factor for me, as i am going private due to bad experiences with NHS dentists (thats just me, I'm not saying NHS dentists are bad at all, but for me, iI just couldn't see a way forward without going private) i reckoned I was going to need to spend £5000 minimum, but its going to cost £2,100, expensive I know, but not half as bad as I thought. So i'm saying, 9 times out of 10, things arent as bad as they seem, and the longer you spend worrying about it, the worst things get so just do it, if i can, anyone can, i have spent 3 years worrying, and the worrying has caused me to unwittingly grind my teeth, making things worse than they needed to be, I'm the biggest chicken in the world! I know I havent had treatment yet, but all i need is 2 crowns and 2 fillings, and a wisdom tooth out, obviously with root canals etc this all adds to the price, but its not nearly as I thought it would be. I'm at home now, and i'm going to have a cheeky chardonnay soon to toast my bravery. Cheers! Soon i'll be able to ;D again.

I had the same experience today. Cheers to the bravery!:jump:

first appointment went well

I posted a few days ago that things weren't as bad as i thought they were (thank god, and they usually aren't according to my very nice dentist) Well, today I went for a scale and polish, it was only a half an hour appointment, but i could have stuck the hour (have another half hour appointment next friday) they did my top teeth and it didn't hurt at all (was a bit embarassed when i drank the mouthwash instead of spitting it out) and the hygienist said if you can stick this, you can stick anything. I didn't find it a problem at all, obviously my dentist and I thought I would freak out but i just thought no, its got to be done and I was fine. I think once I got over the initial embarassment of thinking these must be the worst teeth they've ever seen, I was fine. As i say, i still need another scale and polish before i have any work done but I feel so much better already, my teeth look lovely and clean, and I know once the work is done, they will look even better, i was so happy i actually cried when i got home because i have a nice smile now, and i know i must be good and keep it that way,but what a difference half an hour on a hygienists chair makes! I still am nervous, but if it means my smile can improve and i wont have to be embarassed to smile anymore, it will be worth it. I'd advise anyone who is MEGA nervous to take a friend, i thought i was mega nervous though, and it was only through embarassment that i never took a friend, and I was fine. I think now i've got over that first hurdle i just know i need to be brave, or else I will lose my teeth eventually, and I don't want that. You can take baby steps, thats what i've done, and i feel better already.:)

Congratulations! and well done. I've mergred your threads so we can follow your story....

Well done :jump:. I agree you probably don't need sedation. Cleaning doesn't have to hurt as you found.

Back