• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A little Support Needed... :o(

S

Sazzle

Hey All, I've been a lurker since July 2011, Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who has wrote about a experience with the dental demons, I managed to visit the dentist for the first time since I was 6 and I'm now due to turn 25, so it took a lot to get there!!!

I'll tell you a little about me and whats happened so far and whats planned for the future...

Here we go...
I was 6yrs old when I had my first dentist visit and one that scared me so much I didn't return till June this year. I was having a check up and introduction to the dentist chair because I had a very slight decay of a molar tooth, It was basically a tiny incy wincy black dot on my tooth. My parents had told me that I may have to have a filling, which at 6 yrs old I didnt really have a clue what it was all about or what happened, My dad decided he would let me know that the dentist uses a drill to drill out the moldy bit of tooth and then fills it with metal....that really helped scare the poop out of me, From that day untill my appointment i imagined a massive power drill (the type that my dad uses for all his diy, The Black & Decker Type) being forced into my mouth!
Any way first appointment came and i was quite calm, sitting in the dentist chair while he had a look about, then out of no were he produced the gun looking thing with a pointy tip and held my forehead with his hand...No explanation of what the tool was or what it was for or what it would do and basically i was out of that chair screaming my head off trying to get out of the room.
The gun looking thing was basically to blow cold air onto my teeth to dry them but i automatically thought that was the dreaded dentist drill.

Since then I refused to return to the dentist, Every time my mum booked a appointment for a check up I would make myself sick or hold my head against the radiator to try fake a temperature to get out of going to my appointments.

As I got older, My teeth started to get worst and worse my dental hygiene slipped a little bit which meant when my adult teeth came thought they went bad too, I really couldn't face going back to the dentist.

Anyway... June 2011 I decided as the day was starting to effect my front teeth and a few had started snapping it was time to force myself to the dentist and get it sorted as my confidence had started become none existent.
I registered at a dentist down the road and attended my appointment, On entering the dentists room i explained i was petrefied of dentist, i had a bad gag reflex and knew the state of my teeth was absolutely disgusting... I was expecting him to be slightly sympathetic and relax me a little but
to my horror the dentist was very short and sharp with me, He told me sit in the chair and open my mouth wide, then begun to dig about sighing and random shouting out things like Godziller, Prince, Duran Duran, Margret Thatcher and so on. I let him have a little dig around and then pushed him away as i was confused at what the random shouting of random Films, Bands and People was about... Turns out I was experiencing him answering the questions of the lunchtime quiz on the radio, that made me feel like he couldnt actually give a crap about what he was doing or the fact that i was shaking like a leaf and gagging like a cat with a furball stuck in its throat.
He then told me ur teeth are in a right state and ur going to need a lot of treatment which would include teeth being 'RIPPED OUT' not taken out or extracted but 'RIPPED OUT'!!!
Then he started to set up the x-ray thing, I was asking what he was going to do with the long rods and bits and peices of equipment he was assembling he replied that he was taking a x-ray and that it was not going to be a nice experience for me!!
And he was absolutely true to his word, I was gagging and retching again, I kept asking him to stop and let me have a sip of water to which he huffed and puffed about then told me that im being stupid and overly sensitive because i obviously didnt gag when i was shoving down sweet foods that ruined my teeth! I let him continued with the x-rays still gagging and still making him stop so i could sip water, he then told me if i didnt have the last x-ray done i would have to live with my 'manky teeth' for the rest of my life!!!
I let him carry on took his crap the whole way through, because i just want my teeth sorted or atleast be able to smile and laugh without hiding my mouth.
At the end of the appointment he told me i was going to have a lot of teeth 'Ripped out' and that if i gag anymore then he will refuse to give me dentures or partial dentures. I asked if i could be sedated for the treatment as i didn't think i could face being awake and aware of what was going on and I wouldn't be able to have a injection in my mouth as i was petrified of needles.
He was like im booking you in for next week to have all ur teeth out with just a injection to the gum and Im going to warn you now that u may be without teeth for life.... Really wasnt what i wanted to hear....
A few days passed and i rang up and cancelled the appointment, I couldnt sleep, I felt sick and was even more scared then ever.

A friend told me to visit another dentist and gave me details of the one she visits who is really good with nervous patients, I went in July to see my friends dentist and i cannot sing her praises enough, She see that i was scared as hell and talked me through everything before touching me. She then talked and told me every thing she was doing and anything she shouted to the assistant she explained to me straight away. She praised me so much and kept me calm that i only gagged once. She then said she would refer me to a dental sedation clinic to have the bad teeth removed and i would be allowed a immediate partial denture for top and bottom so i could leave with a full set after treatment. she discussed with me in detail the whole procedure and asked me if i had any questions etc.

On 19th November 2011 i visited the sedation clinic for a consultation and i cant praise that dentist enough either he listened to my worries and fears and broke it all down such as what scares you, why does it scare you? What does it make you feel like and what would make you feel calmer? for everything i listed he broke everything down to understand exactly what my issues were.He explained all the sedation process to me and made sure i was happy and understood everything. He told me to contact my other dentist and ask for impressions to be done so i can bring my partial denture with me when i have my treatment on 7th December 2011. (Im having 13 extractions and a filling on the front top tooth)

On Monday 21st November, I went to my dentist for my impressions to be done...
What a nightmare... My gag reflex was doing overtime, but my dentist tried out a techique that would help me with the gagging and it worked.
She basically pushed on my chin quite hard for a minute while i breathed deeply in through my nose and out through my mouth. My gaging had stopped and we managed to do the bottom impression.
Top impression went a little t*ts up and i didnt concentrate on my breathing as well as i did with the bottom tray but managed to make it through with the help from the pressure point techique and lots of controled breathing... I feel like a bit of a maniac now though, Whilst doing the top impression i gagged quite a bit, grabbed the dentists wrist and was trying to pull her away from my mouth! We did laugh after but i was so embarrassed!!! :giggle:

I will be going back to collect my partial denture a few days before treatment day.
The scared feeling is starting to set in now though, even though i have talked through the sedation with both dentist im a little unsure about how i will be after its all done.

Whats the pain going to be like? How will i feel? What sort of medication can i take for the pain?
and also the morning of the appointment i am not allowed to drink or eat for two hours before my treatment, with my bad gag reflex i am going to be in pure panic mode is there anything i can get to calm me down?

can my doctor prescribe me anything or will it interfere with the sedation??

Look forward to hearing from some of you.:)

(I apologize about grammar, punctuation and spelling, I was too bothered about my horrible teeth at school to listen in English, Well that's the excuse I'm going to use anyway lol)

Last edited:
:welcome: Sazzle

What a horrible experience you had but I am pleased you found a caring, understanding dentist ....... what a difference the right dentist can make!

I too had 13 teeth removed under a GA and I can honestly say I wasn't nearly as bad as my mind had led me to believe, dentistry has changed so much. I left hospital with a course of antibiotics, 'over the counter' painkillers and very, very sleepy. I did sleep pretty much until the next morning off and on, I took my antibiotics and painkillers as instructed but after a day or so I didn't bother with the painkillers because I didn't have any pain - all I had was an aching face.

Communication is another part of this dental journey puzzle, talk to your dentist about something for your anxiety I am sure he can give you something to take.

You are still very young, have your whole life ahead of you and should be very proud that you have taken the 'bull by the horns' and started your dental journey now. How I wish I could have done the same. My phobia ruled my life until my late 40's when I finally had no choice but slowly with the right dentist I have sorted out my teeth and feel so relieved that I now have a life almost phobia free :thumbsup:

And just think how much better your Christmas lunch will taste this year ;)

I registered at a dentist down the road and attended my appointment, On entering the dentists room i explained i was petrefied of dentist, i had a bad gag reflex and knew the state of my teeth was absolutely disgusting... I was expecting him to be slightly sympathetic and relax me a little but
to my horror the dentist was very short and sharp with me, He told me sit in the chair and open my mouth wide, then begun to dig about sighing and random shouting out things like Godziller, Prince, Duran Duran, Margret Thatcher and so on. I let him have a little dig around and then pushed him away as i was confused at what the random shouting of random Films, Bands and People was about... Turns out I was experiencing him answering the questions of the lunchtime quiz on the radio, that made me feel like he couldnt actually give a crap about what he was doing or the fact that i was shaking like a leaf and gagging like a cat with a furball stuck in its throat.
He then told me ur teeth are in a right state and ur going to need a lot of treatment which would include teeth being 'RIPPED OUT' not taken out or extracted but 'RIPPED OUT'!!!
Then he started to set up the x-ray thing, I was asking what he was going to do with the long rods and bits and peices of equipment he was assembling he replied that he was taking a x-ray and that it was not going to be a nice experience for me!!
And he was absolutely true to his word, I was gagging and retching again, I kept asking him to stop and let me have a sip of water to which he huffed and puffed about then told me that im being stupid and overly sensitive because i obviously didnt gag when i was shoving down sweet foods that ruined my teeth! I let him continued with the x-rays still gagging and still making him stop so i could sip water, he then told me if i didnt have the last x-ray done i would have to live with my 'manky teeth' for the rest of my life!!!
I let him carry on took his crap the whole way through, because i just want my teeth sorted or atleast be able to smile and laugh without hiding my mouth.
At the end of the appointment he told me i was going to have a lot of teeth 'Ripped out' and that if i gag anymore then he will refuse to give me dentures or partial dentures. I asked if i could be sedated for the treatment as i didn't think i could face being awake and aware of what was going on and I wouldn't be able to have a injection in my mouth as i was petrified of needles.
He was like im booking you in for next week to have all ur teeth out with just a injection to the gum and Im going to warn you now that u may be without teeth for life.... Really wasnt what i wanted to hear....
A few days passed and i rang up and cancelled the appointment, I couldnt sleep, I felt sick and was even more scared then ever.

Since this was as recent as 2011, will you please report this guy's attitude to the local PCT/NHS/GDC? He should not be treating patients like this. I am appalled. :mad:

:welcome: Sazzle

What a horrible experience you had but I am pleased you found a caring, understanding dentist ....... what a difference the right dentist can make!

I too had 13 teeth removed under a GA and I can honestly say I wasn't nearly as bad as my mind had led me to believe, dentistry has changed so much. I left hospital with a course of antibiotics, 'over the counter' painkillers and very, very sleepy. I did sleep pretty much until the next morning off and on, I took my antibiotics and painkillers as instructed but after a day or so I didn't bother with the painkillers because I didn't have any pain - all I had was an aching face.

Communication is another part of this dental journey puzzle, talk to your dentist about something for your anxiety I am sure he can give you something to take.

You are still very young, have your whole life ahead of you and should be very proud that you have taken the 'bull by the horns' and started your dental journey now. How I wish I could have done the same. My phobia ruled my life until my late 40's when I finally had no choice but slowly with the right dentist I have sorted out my teeth and feel so relieved that I now have a life almost phobia free :thumbsup:

And just think how much better your Christmas lunch will taste this year ;)

Thank you April,
I decided I had to do it now or I never would. (I'm good at putting things off till a later day) Plus I have a son who is turning 3 at Christmas and I really don't want to pass my fear on to him, I want him to witness his mummy in the dentist chair as cool as a cucumber so when its he's turn he wont fear it like I do at the moment and also the comments he might get when his older if his manky tooth mother is waiting at the school gates for him, We all know how cruel children can be.

I cant wait to tuck into my Christmas Lunch, My dentist has requested that I bring a photo to my appointment in the new year, of me over the Christmas period giving the cheesiest and most toothy grin I can pull before she is satified that she has made me a happy girl.

Since this was as recent as 2011, will you please report this guy's attitude to the local PCT/NHS/GDC? He should not be treating patients like this. I am appalled. :mad:

Thank You Brit, I fully intend to do so.
I will be making sure he receives a strong b*ll*cking

He has refused to pass on copies of the X-rays to me, my dentist or the sedation clinic which means i will possibly need to go through having x-rays again which I'm dreading.
According to him they are his property...... I assume they are my property as they are of MY mouth..

Can anyone enlighten me who is in the right and wrong?

I didn't actually pay out of my pocket for the x-ray as I receive benefits due to being a full time single mother so does that mean they are actually he's x-rays

FROM THE BRITISH DENTAL HEALTH FOUNDATION:
Whose property are the x-rays?
X-rays are an essential part of your health records and must be kept with your personal dental file. As dental records work differently to normal health records, the law says your dentist must keep your dental records for at least two years from the date of your last course of treatment.

You are entitled to copies of your records and x-rays under the Access to Health Records Act 1990. But you will have to pay for these copies. In most cases your x-rays and records will not be needed by your new dentist. However, if they are important, your new dentist will let you know and either ask for your permission to send for them, or ask you to fetch them personally. END QUOTE

The first step in the complaint process is to write to the actual practice, sounds like you can include 'withholding x-rays' as well as 'rude judgemental unprofessional manner and conduct'.

Were there any other dentists at that practice or just him? Was it busy? How did the dental nurse behave?
In your complaint, I would ensure you quote the post you made to us of the conversation. It is one of the worst I have ever read for current day - even worse than Nat's first NHS dentist.

If he treated you that badly, you can be sure he has done it to others and he needs to be stopped/warned off.
Kudos to you for not letting him put you off and thank goodness you had a friend who could recommend someone completely different.

If he is an Associate at the practice, not the owner then I would say he deserves all he gets.
He would not have passed his training talking to patients like that because it is rude unprofessional and pyschologically damaging.

Back