• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Part of root left behind when tooth extracted. Should I be concerned

B

bhas

I have had plenty of dental work done over the years, teeth pulled, root canals, fillings and never really been anxious about it. However, I had front lower tooth pulled 3 months ago and the area started hurting again. My dentist was out of town so my MD gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. I started the antibiotic and it seemed to get better. I went to my dentist yesterday and they took an x-ray and part of the root from the tooth they pulled was still there. They made a joke about it and said that it really liked me and wanted to stay. The dentist had to numb me up, cut open my gums and dig out the remaining tooth in pieces. By the time they were done I was about to panic. It was worse than when the tooth was pulled. Now I am trying to decide if I need to look around for a different dentist. Was this routine and I am over reacting? I don't know if my fear is reasonable or if I making something out of nothing. I am now afraid to go back. Any advice??

Dentist should have told you why it is there. Roots are sometimes left when close to vital structure when the tip breaks off. But a larger piece that is infected with no important anatomy nearby ?

Back