• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dumb Question, How long do I have to wait to eat after getting fillings?

B

boopy

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from getting my first round of fillings. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but that's because they had to numb the heck outta me. I didn't really eat today because I was really nervous. But as soon as I walked into my house, my stomach started grumbling.

I know I should def wait until the novacane wears off. But when it does, and I do eat, is it going to ruin the fillings? Obviously not going to have steak:shame:. I was thinking more of rice with chicken?

I know it's probably a dumb question, but this is the first time I ever got fillings and I forgot to ask when I was leaving, so I have no clue.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!:thumbsup:

Amalgams(silver) wait a day
Composites(white) okay immediately

My dentist's advice is usually "Go easy on that for today." Of course that leaves me to work out what he actually means ! :)

I have always been told amalgams wait 4 hours (back in 1970s).
Composite - go easy but ok straightaway.

I often meet my OH in a cafe after dental treatment and I drink and eat while still numb lol.

Wait 24 hours to eat on the amalgam fillings. With composites (white fillings), you can eat right away but I tell patients to wait until the anesthesia wears off because that reduces the likelihood of you biting your cheek/lip.

Wait 24 hours to eat on the amalgam fillings. With composites (white fillings), you can eat right away but I tell patients to wait until the anesthesia wears off because that reduces the likelihood of you biting your cheek/lip.

Maybe you use a different type of amalgam in the USA? Just remembered I had an amalgam in the last 4 years as well as a composite. I asked if I had to wait 4 hours like in 1970s and they said no, to just go easy on something soft for the first few hours.

Not such a dumb question OP, since there is a big difference of opinion here.

Last edited:
Seems there are many views on this:

QUOTE from a USA website:

Amalgam (Silver) Fillings
You should wait to eat soft foods until the anesthesia you received wears off and you have your feeling back in your cheek, lips and tongue. If you are hungry you can have something soft, such as soup. You should wait to eat hard foods until at least six hours have passed after you leave our office, to allow the amalgam filling time to harden.'

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer!!! :XXLhug:

I lost my internet connection for a few days and couldn't reply. But I did get the composite/white fillings. I ended up having soup once the novacane wore off.

I have to go this Saturday for round 2 of fillings :shame:, only one this time. I think I got at least 2 more after that, but that'll be next year sometime because it's just so expensive for the composite.

I will make sure I eat beforehand next time and keep a can of soup ready for when I get back!

Thanks again everyone, the information has been beyond helpful and I really appreciate it!!:):XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

You should wait to eat soft foods until the anesthesia you received wears off and you have your feeling back in your cheek, lips and tongue. If you are hungry you can have something soft, such as soup. You should wait to eat hard foods until at least six hours have passed after you leave our office, to allow the amalgam filling time to harden.'

Beware of what you read on websites. The compressive strength of amalgam is 118 MPa (megapascals) after 1 hour and goes up to ~340 MPa when measured at day 7. The dimensional change stabilizes in about 24 hours. (Source: Craig's Restorative Dental Materials; Powers and Sakaguchi, 12th edition). This is why it is recommended to chew hard foods on the other side of the mouth and stick to soft foods on the side that received the filling for 24 hours. Nobody said anything about not eating at all. :)

Nobody said anything about not eating at all. :)

But you sorta did ;) and Comfortdentist definitely did in his brief reply.

Appreciate the scientific explanation.

Last edited:
Wait 24 hours to eat on the amalgam fillings.

I apologize for the confusion! In my mind, this statement is referring to eating on the tooth with the filling alone. I can see the misunderstanding.

Back