• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Widsom tooth and upper molar removal tomorrow

G

ghost_mummy

Hi Everyone..
I have been lurking on the outside of this forum on and off for a few years but need support now. I am due to have my lower right wisdom and upper right molar out tomorrow evening by concious sedation (which is wonderful and I've had before). I had a filling on this wisdom tooth a few weeks ago and the pain afterwards, even before the numbing wore off was unbelievable. I am so scared I'm not sleeping at all, having panic attacks, I am a dreadful worrier anyway but my imagination is going into overdrive. I've been having generalised tooth pain and earache on the right side for months and I can't stand the pain anymore which is why the dentist has agreed to take these teeth out. The wisdom tooth is at a slight angle in my jaw (not flat like my others), I don't know what I'm scared of, whether its the thought of the pain afterwards, whether removing these teeth will make the toothache I've had contstantly for months go away, or if it will make my earache worse. I just know I need some reassurance and support.
Thanks in advance..

You'll come out of it just fine. It'll be done and overwith in a breeze!

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth that had to come out. I was in sheer pain for 3 days, rocking back and forth crying... I couldn't take it. I had them out and I was pain free.

Your imagination and AA (Anticipatory Anxiety) will always always be the worst. If you've had the sedation before you'll get htrough it with no problems.

I had 5 extractions 8 days ago and 4 other extracts about 3 weeks ago. funny to say but I get phantom pain in my gums thinking it's a toothache but I have no tooth there. It goes away in a few minutes and doesn't come back. It's sorta funny and weird at the same time.

Your earache may also be another issue.. may not just be a tooth problem but only your dentist or doctor would know. Our faces nerves are all connected and so close to each other sometimes we think a sinus pain is a tooth ache or vice versa.

You'll do fine. :XXLhug:

Thank you so much for replying. I've not heard of AA before but its absolutely correct, anticpation anxiety. I'm trying to keep busy today, just off to pharmacy to buy pain killers and some arnica (which someone has recommended). I'll post back on here when its done. Thanks again :)

Good luck to you and will be waiting on your outcome!! ;D

Well, its done! I was very nervous, on the verge of tears when I went in, but my dentist and his nurse are lovely, very understanding and gentle. I had conscious sedation (which is wonderful) and I remember hearing a bit of crunching but I didn't feel a thing. It was all done very quickly, and when I got home I went straight to bed, woke up at 4am to take some pain relief. The molar 'hole' is huge and very sore, the wisdom tooth 'hole' looks almost healed over. Today I'm very sore and still a bit disorientated but SO glad those teeth are gone. Hopefully after 4 months of pain things will start to get better now.

Thanks for your help.
Jules
x

Excellent!! So glad to hear that. :jump:

The anticipatory anxiety was the worst of the whole thing wasn't it? It's the monster in all of us just waiting to come out but it never dare show its face.

Take good care now.

Back