• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gotta go to the dentist for first time in a long time :s

K

kitty101

The last time I saw a dentist was in 1997 when i was a child. I didn't like it and didn't go back again. Over the past decade i've had on/off depression. In 2007 was my lowest point and it was rare that i could be bothered to brush my teeth once a month. I'm still going through depression along with anxiety. :(

Now i'm paying the price. 2 cracked teeth, and my left main front tooth and the one next to it have had acid erosion occur and the past few years I've resorted to sticking cotton wool in the gap in a rubbish attempt to hide it.

The past few weeks i've had tooth ache a lot, then it died down, and now it's back and I've got no choice but to go to a dentist and get this over with. Problem is i'm petrified, not to mention embarrased about letting my teeth get into the state they're in. Also I'm most likely gonna have an anxiety attack then bawl like a baby. What can I do to at least calm myself? I'm really scared. :confused:

Many of us have been where you are, trust me. I wish I had some words of wisdom. I think it's very important to find a dentist you can trust. I think that probably makes a big difference.

If you browse around the boards you'll see how other people have dealt with this. I suggest taking a peek at the journal section and especially the success stories! Gives one hope. :)

Totally know where you're coming from (less the depression) but depressed all the same about my teeth. It had totally wiped me off the social arena for a long time.

You should find someone, family member or close friend, to share your fears and concerns with and someone who will go with you to consultations and appointments.

Coming here and talking is a good starting step to helping yourself get better, and with a lot of us fearfuls, you will soon realise that the anxiety of thinking about dentists and stuff is actually the worst of it all. Once you find the right compassionate and caring dentist you can start to feel better about going.

Look around for some dentists but if you don't think you can do this alone, I would try and find a close friend or family member to work with you.

Stay here with us and keep us posted on everything too. It certainly helps! :XXLhug:

Back